E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FM reception affected by a charging cellphone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

I have this cellphone charger for my Razr plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle. I have noticed that whenever I plug in the phone into the charger, the radio reception (FM) suffers. It seems that the FM signal weakens and I get a low static.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='776831' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:33 AM
I have this cellphone charger for my Razr plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle. I have noticed that whenever I plug in the phone into the charger, the radio reception (FM) suffers. It seems that the FM signal weakens and I get a low static.

Has anyone experienced this?
No ... I don't have to charge my cell phone in the car that often but it doesn't seem to create any problems with AM/FM or Sat radio.

Just a wild thought ... do you happen to be driving in the same area at the same time you are starting to charge your phone? It may be a series of coincidences that make you think the cell charge is at fault.

Does it seem to affect ALL FM stations or just one or two in particular? As a precaution, check your charger ... it may be a frayed cord or broken internal wiring that is emitting some electrical noise being picked up by the car's antennae. It may still charge the phone but the additional "noise" can be picked up and causing your FM listening displeasure.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I have a console wired-in phone adapter charging the blackberry while the ignition is on, and there is no interference to FM or any frequency, using that system. I don't know what is happening in your case, but did you try one of the power points (such as in the passenger foot well) to see if it happens then?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Contributors

It is 100% a power related problem as the digital signals being transmitted and recieved by your cell phone at all times when it is on is nothing even remotely similer to VHF. I would think that the charger is creating some sort of power draw which may cause your stereo to drop the amount of power it recieves FM band with. Frequency modulation is extremely primative and anything really can draw power from your FM radio. It isnt a car related issue, the problem is... its 2009 and people still listen to FM and in this day in age we expect technology to be near flawless. However FM hasnt changed much since its inception in the 60s

Actually, FM hasnt changed since the earth was formed and there was an atmosphere around it, since before man..

however it took till the 1960s to transmit information over FM...

...so when your FM radio gets interference, its just old ass technology...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Even though the charger is plugged in at all times, the (perceived) interference happens only when I plug in my phone to the USB charger. The charger is to be blamed, IMO. I think I'll try a power source followed by different charger.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by SolanNo1

Even though the charger is plugged in at all times, the (perceived) interference happens only when I plug in my phone to the USB charger. The charger is to be blamed, IMO. I think I'll try a power source followed by different charger.
What was the end result of your problem? Did changing the Charger solve your issue. I am having the same problem. Droid Razr. It only happens when I plug my phone in to charge.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

Funny, my FM reception suffers whenever I engage the rear defroster. FM signal is pretty much replaced by static. Luckily I don't need to use the rear defroster very often. Interested to see if anyone else experiences this problem.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by SolanNo1

You might also try charging a totally different device in the same outlet. Its possible your charger wire is acting as an antenna for your cell phone - i.e. cell phone signal is traveling down the charger wire, into your car's electrical system. You cell phone is always emitting a signal, even when off. You could also turn your cell phone off while charging to see if that has any effect. With it turned off, it will emit less.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto
Default Rear defroster replaces FM

Same here, FM is replaced with static after I turn on the rear defroster. Luckily I only found out after 9 years of having the car!