E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FLYING ROAD ROCKS CRACKED MY WINDSHEILD!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Sorry, man. BMW windshields are fairly hard to crack since they are so soft. Mine has many tiny pits as evidence. GL on the repair. Probably best to wait until you relocate to replace it, if that's possible.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dubai is an amazing city. Enjoyed it very much this summer, uncles live there. Uncle has the new S550. Great place you see so many M5's/M6's. Lambos Dubai has everything. From the girls to the cars .
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i Alpine White Saddle Brown Interior (Gone, but not forgotten) :'( 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE Black/Tan

Originally Posted by aretardedorange' post='1045516' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:32 AM
Dubai is an amazing city. Enjoyed it very much this summer, uncles live there. Uncle has the new S550. Great place you see so many M5's/M6's. Lambos Dubai has everything. From the girls to the cars .
LOOOOL right on!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Mine cracked about a month ago. Insurance wouldn't let me go to the dealer for a new one...so I demanded that I get a OE windshield at least. Safelite came out to the house. The guy couldn't get the wiper off (should of been my first clue)...since he couldn't get it off, he slid the windshield out from behind the cowl piece. When he put in the new glass, the bottom edge went over the cowl piece. Instead of lifting it back out, he just pulled the cowl piece out from under the windshield with a tool, jacking up the edge of the cowl in the process. I was pissed and called safelite and complained. I drove the car later that day, and there was an obvious wind noise...so I called again and complained. They ordered a new cowl piece and another new OE windshield. A week later they came back out and replaced the windshield and cowl piece. They didn't seal this one correctly either as there is wind noise. I called them up again......complained, and now my insurance is sending me to the dealer to have them do the work....and safelite is flipping the bill for it
Make sure you stand out there and watch them do the work.....and take it for a good test drive and listen for air leaks!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1046656' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:19 AM
Mine cracked about a month ago. Insurance wouldn't let me go to the dealer for a new one...so I demanded that I get a OE windshield at least. Safelite came out to the house. The guy couldn't get the wiper off (should of been my first clue)...since he couldn't get it off, he slid the windshield out from behind the cowl piece. When he put in the new glass, the bottom edge went over the cowl piece. Instead of lifting it back out, he just pulled the cowl piece out from under the windshield with a tool, jacking up the edge of the cowl in the process. I was pissed and called safelite and complained. I drove the car later that day, and there was an obvious wind noise...so I called again and complained. They ordered a new cowl piece and another new OE windshield. A week later they came back out and replaced the windshield and cowl piece. They didn't seal this one correctly either as there is wind noise. I called them up again......complained, and now my insurance is sending me to the dealer to have them do the work....and safelite is flipping the bill for it
Make sure you stand out there and watch them do the work.....and take it for a good test drive and listen for air leaks!
wow that SOOOO sucks... safelite did mine too.. took about 40 minutes and one guy did it nice and clean.. apparantly you had an idiot-which sucks.. at least there gonna pay and have it fixed. dont worry itll all work out
Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by beeming beauty' post='1045175' date='Nov 2 2009, 08:40 AM
I was on my way to university today on the highway (was only going 80kms) and a friggin pajero was infront of me in the middle lane and it started weaving through traffic and my windsheild got hit by 2 flying rocks and cracked it motherf*@#er roads were f*#ked up neway and I just got my new car

Can't wait to move to Dubai

looking for places to get it fixed now bmw warranty won't do any good
Who makes the "pajero?"
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1046750' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:35 AM
wow that SOOOO sucks... safelite did mine too.. took about 40 minutes and one guy did it nice and clean.. apparantly you had an idiot-which sucks.. at least there gonna pay and have it fixed. dont worry itll all work out
2 idiots apparently Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I forgot to mention, safelite sent out a 3rd tech to try and seal the wind noise on the 2nd windshield. He failed to listen.....I told him the noise was coming from the top. He insisted that it was coming from the bottom....so he pulled the cabin filters off, cowl piece, and wipers, and smeared some goo under the bottom edge of the windshield. Noise didn't change at all.....so 3 idiots!
Hopefully the dealer will take care of me....my SA told me they had a tech that has been doing it for 20+ years. We'll see...it goes in tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i Alpine White Saddle Brown Interior (Gone, but not forgotten) :'( 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE Black/Tan

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1046656' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:19 AM
WOW! what a rip off . It depends on the insurance company if they pay more or not. When I bought my 530i I asked BMW to recommend the best insurance here in Kuwait, they said the insurance company they recommended pays more but would cost $2400 per year (depending on the price of the car) which was the cheapest insurance and the one I chose. Yesterday I went to the insurance company, they saw the car, gave them the invoice for the windshield, signed it, went to BMW and replaced my windshield in 45 mins All on the same day!! . So it was worth it
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1046866' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:54 PM
2 idiots apparently Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I forgot to mention, safelite sent out a 3rd tech to try and seal the wind noise on the 2nd windshield. He failed to listen.....I told him the noise was coming from the top. He insisted that it was coming from the bottom....so he pulled the cabin filters off, cowl piece, and wipers, and smeared some goo under the bottom edge of the windshield. Noise didn't change at all.....so 3 idiots!
Hopefully the dealer will take care of me....my SA told me they had a tech that has been doing it for 20+ years. We'll see...it goes in tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Good luck ! I always go to the dealer, so im sure they'll fix it 4 u
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by beeming beauty' post='1046885' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:15 AM
Good luck ! I always go to the dealer, so im sure they'll fix it 4 u
I wanted to go to the dealer...but like I said...USAA(Insurance Company) wouldn't pay for the BMW labor rate. My local dealer wanted $2200 to replace the windshield
In the end...looks like i'm getting what I wanted in the first place

Quick Reply: FLYING ROAD ROCKS CRACKED MY WINDSHEILD!!