5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Fluid on my drive way. Oil or Transmission Fluid is the Question? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/fluid-my-drive-way-oil-transmission-fluid-question-111045/)

vessval 03-12-2011 07:20 PM

Hello,
I recently purchased E60 530i Sport with only 30k miles. I assumed the dealer changed the oil prior vehicle delivery. My iDive System indicates 14k miles to next the oil change. I noticed some fluid patches on the my drive way. I am trying to understand if the spots are from engine oil, transmission fluid or some other fluid?? I checked my engine oil level. It?s little bit over the max mark. I don?t like this at all.
I have been keeping eye on the oil level and it does not seems that I am loosing any engine oil. The plastic cover under need the car has some wet spots somewhere between the passenger seat and engine compartment. Hard to tell exact spot / source of the leak. Now my concern is the transmission fluid, which I am not sure how to check. How difficult is to differentiate the engine oil from the BMW transmission fluid?

Any comment / advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince

njlou 03-12-2011 08:33 PM

It's not that hard.

Motor oil is VERY black. Transmision fluid is lighter and tinted like red or green etc.

You also have power steering fluid and anti-freeze.

The best thing is get under there and check out any wet areas.

Anzafin 03-12-2011 11:34 PM

I would say it's condensation water from the the A/C --> if so, harmless.

mercutio 03-13-2011 12:45 AM

get it on a ramp and get the undertray off and you'll know what it is. the location says tranny fluid to me, had it on 2 different e60s. the sump under the gearbox cracks easy, made of egg boxes.

vessval 03-13-2011 04:11 PM

Confirmed:
The fluid is actually transmission fluid.

Originally Posted by vessval (Post 1316701)
Hello,
I recently purchased E60 530i Sport with only 30k miles. I assumed the dealer changed the oil prior vehicle delivery. My iDive System indicates 14k miles to next the oil change. I noticed some fluid patches on the my drive way. I am trying to understand if the spots are from engine oil, transmission fluid or some other fluid?? I checked my engine oil level. It?s little bit over the max mark. I don?t like this at all.
I have been keeping eye on the oil level and it does not seems that I am loosing any engine oil. The plastic cover under need the car has some wet spots somewhere between the passenger seat and engine compartment. Hard to tell exact spot / source of the leak. Now my concern is the transmission fluid, which I am not sure how to check. How difficult is to differentiate the engine oil from the BMW transmission fluid?

Any comment / advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince

luigi524td 03-13-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by vessval (Post 1316989)
Confirmed:
The fluid is actually transmission fluid.

A common source of transmission leaks is in the mechatronic valve - could be a seal; Mine was replaced at about 30K miles.

skripter2k 03-15-2011 08:27 AM

Mine was replaced last week. The sleeve was the leaking point.

Jnelson1182 07-22-2018 11:30 AM

how easy is it to replace that seal/ sleve cuz im leaking lil spots on my driveway and like you guys am having a hard time telling if it is oil or tranny fluid,

LessIsMore 07-24-2018 08:32 AM

it could also be an old transmission pan gasket that's leaking.

if you can't identify the source, take it to a shop.

Jnelson1182 08-17-2018 09:03 PM

another thing is that the drip only happens while the car is running, if I turn car off the drip dries up, what color should the fluid be if it was transmission fluid that is coming out?