E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FLOOD in my car please help Lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, Ok I don't even know where to start.....basically my car has been getting flooded pretty bad only in the rear passenger carpet area. I noticed that there are what seem to be two vents under the passenger seat in the rear when you pull back the carpet can water be coming from here? What do those vents do exactly? Also its alot of water and it always seems to do this after it rains but all my windows are closed and sunroof also. The crazy part is that ONLY the passenger rear carpet is wet everytime and nothing else.....Im lost, today I've spent half my morning at work with a squege soaking it up...what can this be? What are those vents under the seat? Sorry for the long post but this is really annoying and its almost kinda making me not even want to mod my baby anymore lol Help!!

Ps. I am in need of a new battery soon and being that batterys retain water could this be the cause? Could my battery be leaking water into the rear passenger carpet? Just a long shot
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Battery has nothing to do with the water leakage in the rear seat area.

Open the trunk, remove the spare tire and see if there is water in the spare tire well.
Sunroof drain pipes may have been clogged and causing the water leakage in to the car.
Part # 19 (in the picture below) is the drain channel. There should be 2 of them in the rear and 2 of them in the front; attached to the sunroof at each corner.
Attached Thumbnails FLOOD in my car please help Lol-bmw_sunroof_parts.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Ok i will check in a bit. Quick question, how can i check this area? What exactly am I looking for? Just open the sunroof and look for the tubes? please clarify a bit
thanks again
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Saw this on another forum but Im not sure if this applies to me or how I would go about it.

As I have already said above, the problem may be in the sunroof pipes: obstruction in the drainage You will not see a rubber hose hanging on BMW unlike other cars the rocker tubes on BMWs are used as drainage lines. I ousy front/back footwells overflow (i.e. uphill vs. downhill). Water (YOU JUST REMINDED ME OF MY CAR I HATE WATER) g lousy front/back footwells overflow (i.e. uphill vs. downhill). Water (YOU JUST REMINDED ME OF MY CAR I HATE WATER) g these tubes which even a relatively light rain can produce standing still water in the car. Older Mercedes has a worse pro jacking points (4 Holes on the side of the car where they get so rusty you cannot jack up the car anymore..check the 450 80s NOW where are they? You cars should have four small holes ( I mean too small of a hole for drainage--for sure another bad design just like the the front and back of the rocker that allow the water to escape/drain. Look behind the front wheel for the first two and t n front of the rear wheel. As I said these small holes are VERY SMALL and I am very sure these hole do NOT have a job satisfaction for simple REAS WATER IN THE ROCKER COMPOUNDED WITH TOO SMALL HOLE PLUS DIRT-- BAD POSITION TO BE IN. Please note the following three senarios Senario 1. Parking your car down hill can be a problem. That is to say: only the front (AGAIN TOO SMALL) holes could be water level reach the rear drainage holes Senario 2. Imagine the opposite parking position where the front is facing uphill ...without going into the above details w overflow to the back footwell much faster than typing this post---assuming the hole is clogged. Senario 3. Leveled parking is you best bet of all, this will engage all four holes; but since they are too small to do so and p dirt you still have a problem. SOOOOOO what is the solution? This is what I did...I used my DEWALT drill with a large bit to make these holes much bigger. Now It will take too much of neglect to clog them; also these poor small holes when they grew bigger by the tender care of my drill! they became mor neglect to clog them; also these poor small holes when they grew bigger by the tender care of my drill! they became mor doing their job; that is to drain water. One of these holes gave me a smile of relief Warning DO NOT MAKE THESE HOLES TOO BIG. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BE INVITING UNPLEASANT NOISE/SOUNDS INTO YOUR CAB DRIVING ALTERNATIVE: Clean them starting at the roof with the cable TV company wires (coexial Cable) the perfect size and will n just tape one end and insert it about 5-6 feet...and YES YOU WILL NOT SEE THE WIRE COMING OUT OF THE OTHER END.. THING IS TOO SMALL. If you ask me I will say yes a biological hole whether front or back does a better job in preventing leaks and overflows of ncluding acid!!!!!!! I hope I was of some help to both of you guys; again d3 thanks for your advise you saved me big $$$ on the engine
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Have you had any of the window regulators replaced? If the vapor barrier was not replaced correctly, it will leak water to your carpet.

I'm going through it with my other BMW (E46). I had my front passenger regulator replaced and now water is collecting on the rear passenger floor. Found this after searching the E46 forums and sure enough I saw the actual leak coming in from under the front door (in-line with the outside door handle) and trickling sideways toward the rear seats.

My independent is questioning this, but I will bring him all the stuff I found online.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Hmmm this is a first. I have never replaced a regulator so i doubt its that Idk

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
Have you had any of the window regulators replaced? If the vapor barrier was not replaced correctly, it will leak water to your carpet.

I'm going through it with my other BMW (E46). I had my front passenger regulator replaced and now water is collecting on the rear passenger floor. Found this after searching the E46 forums and sure enough I saw the actual leak coming in from under the front door (in-line with the outside door handle) and trickling sideways toward the rear seats.

My independent is questioning this, but I will bring him all the stuff I found online.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Any other suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa

Just got off the phone with the dealership and they told me this same thing may be the reason. Hmm but they qouted me 480 to fix Ouch