E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flat tyre but no warning from system? Also wheres best to buy tyres in

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530d, Silver, Pro Sat Nav, Logic 7, 6CD, Black Dakota Memory Seats with heating, Adaptive Xenons, Active Steering with Sports steering wheel, Oscillating Seats, Rear Electric Blind, Rear side blinds, Rear airbags, Dark Popular High Gloss, Folding Auto Dimming Mirrors, High Gloss Shadowline,

Drove on the motorway at 70-80mph and it drove okay, been rattling slighly recently.

I obviously have a slow puncture in rear tyre, and the pressure was 2psi

But i was so hacked off that the warning light did not come on, anybody know why.

Also wheres best to buy Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats in UK, i know theyre not the best but the tyres are like 2 months old. And I dont wnn achange all of them
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aspurewal' post='776882' date='Jan 25 2009, 11:57 AM
Drove on the motorway at 70-80mph and it drove okay, been rattling slighly recently.

But i was so hacked off that the warning light did not come on, anybody know why.

Also wheres best to buy Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats in UK, i know theyre not the best but the tyres are like 2 months old. And I dont wnn achange all of them
Your Flat Tire Warning should have gone off but since it is triggered by the rolling radius of your tires and RFT's might not change enough to trigger it that may be the explanation why you got no notice [later e60 have Tire Pressure Monitors that measure actual PSI of the tires]. Running on a totally deflated RFT will make any chance of repair impossible!

But, if a manufacturing defect caused the puncture you may be able to replace under tire manufacturer warranty. If it was a puncture there is no chance. Is wheel and tire insurance available in the UK? As for that and retail outlets [other than BMW dealer] you should start getting local replies to your question soon.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I had a slow leak on my left rear RFT about a year ago and the tire monitor detected the RPM change. I had it replaced under the tire warranty that I purchased... well worth the added insurance.. Not sure why it didn't detect it. Try re-calibrating it via iDrive and see what it does after you re-inflate the tire.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='776974' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:20 PM
I had a slow leak on my left rear RFT about a year ago and the tire monitor detected the RPM change. I had it replaced under the tire warranty that I purchased... well worth the added insurance.. Not sure why it didn't detect it. Try re-calibrating it via iDrive and see what it does after you re-inflate the tire.
I heard someone complain that it wont detect if all 4 tires are low on pressure but havent seen anyone with same problem as you...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SE 4d Auto.

Originally Posted by aspurewal' post='776882' date='Jan 25 2009, 04:57 PM

I have the same setup (i.e. earlier ABS-based not later pressure sensors) and my warning came on when I changed a tyre and again when I reset they tyre pressures (from 30-35psi) so I imagine it would/should detect that kind of loss.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SE 4d Auto.

Just curious; how far did you drive on the puncture? I think it was at least 5 miles (maybe more) after changing the pressure on mine before my car sounded the 'puncture' alert. I wonder if you noticed it before the car worked it out...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d, Silver, Pro Sat Nav, Logic 7, 6CD, Black Dakota Memory Seats with heating, Adaptive Xenons, Active Steering with Sports steering wheel, Oscillating Seats, Rear Electric Blind, Rear side blinds, Rear airbags, Dark Popular High Gloss, Folding Auto Dimming Mirrors, High Gloss Shadowline,

worryingly i probably drove like 30-40 miles on the highway at over 70mph
Old 01-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Have a look at:

Blackcircles.com
Mytyres.co.uk
etyres.co.uk
pneus-online.co.uk

They will all either have local fitting centres or will come out to you to replace the tyre.

I have a local fitter who is also a Blackcircles agent. I check the Blackcircles price, then give him a phone direct - he will usually beat the Blackcircles price by a couple of quid after a bit of haggling. He once ordered the wrong size tyres for me, which was a pain as I wanted to use the car (a Renault Clio) for some motorway work the following day - so he even provided me with a courtesy car for the day (free). He obviously wanted to keep my business (I could have used one of my other cars) and it worked!!

Mike
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Members

Thanks Mike
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aspurewal' post='776882' date='Jan 25 2009, 04:57 PM

I had a slow puncture on one of my run flats and the car picked it up when the tyre was down to about 18psi. My car also has a the older style ABS system. Is the tyre monitor runing in idrive?

Dom

Quick Reply: Flat tyre but no warning from system? Also wheres best to buy tyres in