E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flat Tire Monitor Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a E61 Touring, didn't see any info in the E61 section and figured there was more information exchange in here. I have a warning on the I-drive screen that says "Flat tire Monitor Malfunction. Detection of flat tires is currently unavailable. Have the system checked by your dealership." Also, on another screen it says. Correctly adjust tire pressures (they already are), Select "Reset". But on the Bottom of that screen it says "Status:System Error.".

Does this seem to be a serious system problem? Also, when I restart the car, the warning will come on only after driving 20miles+ at fwy speeds of approximately 70mph. This has been happening week after week, for the six months that i have owned the car. The dealership just keeps resetting the system and saying that there are no faults in the computer.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by hotrod182' post='416635' date='Apr 22 2007, 04:03 PM
I have a E61 Touring, didn't see any info in the E61 section and figured there was more information exchange in here. I have a warning on the I-drive screen that says "Flat tire Monitor Malfunction. Detection of flat tires is currently unavailable. Have the system checked by your dealership." Also, on another screen it says. Correctly adjust tire pressures (they already are), Select "Reset". But on the Bottom of that screen it says "Status:System Error.".

Does this seem to be a serious system problem? Also, when I restart the car, the warning will come on only after driving 20miles+ at fwy speeds of approximately 70mph. This has been happening week after week, for the six months that i have owned the car. The dealership just keeps resetting the system and saying that there are no faults in the computer.
I had a similar problem with the FTM, the status active would would never come on when I tried to reset the FTM. If I woul take out 8 to 10 psi out of the tire it would show I had a flat but I couold never reset it. The dealer, JMK BMW did a software upgrade and the problem was fixed Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='416650' date='Apr 22 2007, 02:08 PM
I had a similar problem with the FTM, the status active would would never come on when I tried to reset the FTM. If I woul take out 8 to 10 psi out of the tire it would show I had a flat but I couold never reset it. The dealer, JMK BMW did a software upgrade and the problem was fixed Good luck
cheers
vern
Did your car warnings come on mostly on the FWY also?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='416650' date='Apr 22 2007, 02:08 PM
cheers
vern
The warning light came on 3x the other day! The first time after about 40 miles on the fwy, the 2nd and 3rd times after driving about 30-34 miles. When I restart the car, the warning is gone....till I go on a longer fwy drive again. The dealership advises that they are going to try some new software...we shall see....
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by hotrod182' post='416635' date='Apr 22 2007, 02:03 PM

hotrod,

I had the same problem and finally had it resolved by my dealer over a 3 month period only after BMWNA got involved and a PUMA case opened. In the end, I had to have the module that controls the ABS removed from the car and sent to BMW for recoding. I understand that they are now able to do this remotely depending upon the level of hardware available in the dealership.

This is a known issue within BMW that only affects touring models. The difference from the sedans is that the self levelling rear suspension plays a big part in the problem. You will likely have to do the same to resolve the problem. I am not sure if this patch is included in Progman 25. When I had this done it was a stand alone patch.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D 2006 - Media Package, M-tec Kit, Lighting package, extended lights, Leather seats, Auto High beam. Carbon Black, with black leather.

i've had two flat tires - and i never got a warning, and i took it back to the dealers 3x time now and they say its working fine - but i know for a fact it isnt working.
When i took my car to be tuned the other day an unknown error was found a46d, maybe this has something to do with it?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by biggun' post='417245' date='Apr 24 2007, 10:16 AM
i've had two flat tires - and i never got a warning, and i took it back to the dealers 3x time now and they say its working fine - but i know for a fact it isnt working.
When i took my car to be tuned the other day an unknown error was found a46d, maybe this has something to do with it?
I had a flat as well when I was having all of the problems with the FTM system. I drove around on it for God knows how long during the winter without a warning. Now that it has been recoded, the system appears to be working as intended.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by hotrod182' post='417077' date='Apr 23 2007, 11:41 PM
The warning light came on 3x the other day! The first time after about 40 miles on the fwy, the 2nd and 3rd times after driving about 30-34 miles. When I restart the car, the warning is gone....till I go on a longer fwy drive again. The dealership advises that they are going to try some new software...we shall see....
I was never sure if the FTM was set to tell me if I had a flat because " Status Active " wouldn't come up on the screen when I set it up, thats why I removed the 8-10 psi to make sure it worked and it did even though the " Status Actine " wouldn't come up. When they did the CIP 23xx up grade everything was fine. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='417379' date='Apr 24 2007, 03:50 PM
I was never sure if the FTM was set to tell me if I had a flat because " Status Active " wouldn't come up on the screen when I set it up, thats why I removed the 8-10 psi to make sure it worked and it did even though the " Status Actine " wouldn't come up. When they did the CIP 23xx up grade everything was fine. Good luck
cheers
vern

Thank you so much vern. My screen says system malfunction, yet when I start it the next morning, there are no warnings, etc, until I drive on the FWY for about 30 miles. But as you can see, it doesn't say a tire is flat. I'm wondering why on one screen it says to reset the system after checking the pressure, and then on the other screen it says system isn't even detecting a flat tire???? I'm hoping the software updates the ABS system, etc, to the level that will correct the problem, without having to send modules into BMW.....I hate these intermittant problems that take 30-40miles of driving to occur, because the dealerships don't have the time to drive the cars for that amount, and just return the car to you and say "no problem found."
Attached Thumbnails Flat Tire Monitor Malfunction-screen_530xi.jpg   Flat Tire Monitor Malfunction-screen_b_530xi_b.jpg  
Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 AM
Contributors

The FTM Malfunction would not occur in my case unless I was at highway speed for more than 30 minutes. It would clear from idrive after stopping and starting the vehicle but I could not reset the FTM no matter how hard I tried. The service manager ended up taking my car for a 30 km highway run to duplicate the problem.

Your problem is 100% software. If it were a hardware problem, a fault would be picked up in the module.