E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flat tire and dealer response

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='595524' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:00 PM
Just to finish this thread off. I did write a letter to the dealership General Manager, copying the Service Manager and BMW of NA. The tone of the letter was a professional as I could make it - pointing out my experience with the tire problem as well as the oil leaks. I did not ask for anything, only that they use my experience to guide additional training.

I received a call from the General Manager. He apologized for my troubles and indicated that they do repair the tires by putting a patch on the inside of the tire and that the 2nd & 3rd oil problems shouldn't have happened. He said they would address the training and knowledge issues in the shop. Also he realized that I might not be willing to come back for the next service, but if I do decide to come back, for me to set up the service appointment with him directly. I told him that I'd think about that. Right now I am inclined to give them another chance.

A few days later I got a call from BMW of NA. I reviewed my experience and they offered to have my car looked at by one of the BMW/NA techs. Their concern was twofold - 1) that my car was fixed correctly and working correctly and 2) I was completely satisfied that my issues were addressed. The conversation lasted about 20 minutes and I declined further intervention as I do believe everything was fixed correctly and the car is working properly.

Between the General Manager's call and the BMW of NA call I was impressed. It doesn't excuse what happened, but it does tell me BMW is concerned about customer satisfaction and their product performing correctly. I am confident that the issues were (will be) addressed at the dealership - that was all I asked.
It's unfortunate the experience with the SA required you to take it to the top. BUT, the good news is the dealership seemed interested enough to fix their internal problem and that BMW also followed up.

As an earlier post reported, "Good employees are hard to find!" The other side of that coin is "Good customers are hard to find too! They come back when they are treated fairly!" And if they are not, it doesn't matter about employees good or bad ... no customers ... no biz ... no $$$$'s = close up shop!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='595580' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:22 PM
It's unfortunate the experience with the SA required you to take it to the top. BUT, the good news is the dealership seemed interested enough to fix their internal problem and that BMW also followed up.

As an earlier post reported, "Good employees are hard to find!" The other side of that coin is "Good customers are hard to find too! They come back when they are treated fairly!" And if they are not, it doesn't matter about employees good or bad ... no customers ... no biz ... no $$$$'s = close up shop!
The advisor assuming the tires were run-flats isn't a big deal, IMO. The guy made a mistake, and no harm was done. Why he told you to go to a tire store to get something done that the dealership does itself is a little odd.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='583627' date='May 19 2008, 11:33 AM
That's pretty frustrating. I bought my car at Global Imports and have had it serviced there since it was new. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are responsive, knowledgeable and cooperative. I don't know where you live or work but you might want to look into using them for service.
I have to second stan's remarks about Global. Very good experience. The only hic-cup I had turned out to be the result of my ignorance (not stupitidity!!)
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Members

I have a little issue here. Do not patch a speed rated tire. They will no longer be speed rated. I am in real estate and I pick up a nail once ever 6-8 weeks. I get new tires all the time. I would never want a patched tire on a car that I will use above 100mph. My S2000 used Bridgestone RE050 they would set me back $280 a tire for rears. Now with the BMW I get them to put a tire on for nothing. (Bought Tire warrenty) I have a bent rim on the car right now that I will have them change out next trip to service.

This is m first BMW and I am loving it. We just made a trip where I was able to average 83 MPH for over 335 miles. The car rocked it was at the extended speeds did I notice the front right wheels was out of balance quick look and saw I had bent the inside part of the rim.

Bottom line do not patch speed rated tires.