E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flat tire and dealer response

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

This weekend I toured several new home subdivisions and I always worry about picking up a nail or something in the tire. When I got home I noticed the end of a screw wedged between the tire tread. Having learned the hard way, I did not pull the screw out, but made an appointment with the BMW dealer for first thing Monday.

Arriving at United BMW of Roswell and turning the car over to the folks that do the initial inspection I told them the right rear tire has a screw in it. About 5 minutes later the SA (J.R) tells me that the TPM (tire pressure monitor) doesn?t show a problem. When he says that I think, yep, I know that as I checked the tire pressure before I drove over to the dealer and it had not changed. I tell him (SA) that there is a screw in the right rear tire and we walk out to the car.

He is looking at the side of the car and the rear tire, I bend down and show him where the screw is (although we couldn?t see it) and tell him I did not pull the screw out and that the tire had not shown any sign of leaking. He then asks me if I was prepared to purchase a new tire if needed.

I asked why a new tire? He indicated that if there is a puncture then typically the run flat tire would need to be replaced. I was dumb founded since my car does NOT have run flats on it. Now you really have to not be listening and fairly dense not to be able to see the difference between the two types of tires. I can make that differentiation 20 feet away and I would bet most members of this board could too. You?d certainly think a Service Advisor would know.

After explaining that these tires were regular tires and not run flats, he took a double take and then apologized for assuming they were run flats. I then asked if the service department fixed a puncture by removing the tire and patching it or just using a plug. The SA indicated they used a plug. I asked if I could specify a patch be used on the inside of the tire. He said they don?t have the equipment to do that. He suggested that I take the car down the street to the Discount Tire store and have them fix the tire.

So I?m pretty dumbfounded ? The SA couldn?t tell the difference between run flats and regular tires, the dealership uses a poor method of fixing flats on luxury cars and he is sending me off to the local tire discounter!

I?m the same guy that had the oil leak problem that this dealer screwed up ? I tell him quickly about that series of events and let him know that they have just lost a customer and I?ll be happy to discuss my experience with any other person interested in BMWs.

As for the tire result ? I took it to a local tire dealer and upon their inspection found the screw was just wedged in between the tread and had not punctured the tire. Yeah! Boo to United BMW of Roswell, Ga.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='583624' date='May 19 2008, 11:23 AM
This weekend I toured several new home subdivisions and I always worry about picking up a nail or something in the tire. When I got home I noticed the end of a screw wedged between the tire tread. Having learned the hard way, I did not pull the screw out, but made an appointment with the BMW dealer for first thing Monday.

Arriving at United BMW of Roswell and turning the car over to the folks that do the initial inspection I told them the right rear tire has a screw in it. About 5 minutes later the SA (J.R) tells me that the TPM (tire pressure monitor) doesn?t show a problem. When he says that I think, yep, I know that as I checked the tire pressure before I drove over to the dealer and it had not changed. I tell him (SA) that there is a screw in the right rear tire and we walk out to the car.

He is looking at the side of the car and the rear tire, I bend down and show him where the screw is (although we couldn?t see it) and tell him I did not pull the screw out and that the tire had not shown any sign of leaking. He then asks me if I was prepared to purchase a new tire if needed.

I asked why a new tire? He indicated that if there is a puncture then typically the run flat tire would need to be replaced. I was dumb founded since my car does NOT have run flats on it. Now you really have to not be listening and fairly dense not to be able to see the difference between the two types of tires. I can make that differentiation 20 feet away and I would bet most members of this board could too. You?d certainly think a Service Advisor would know.

After explaining that these tires were regular tires and not run flats, he took a double take and then apologized for assuming they were run flats. I then asked if the service department fixed a puncture by removing the tire and patching it or just using a plug. The SA indicated they used a plug. I asked if I could specify a patch be used on the inside of the tire. He said they don?t have the equipment to do that. He suggested that I take the car down the street to the Discount Tire store and have them fix the tire.

So I?m pretty dumbfounded ? The SA couldn?t tell the difference between run flats and regular tires, the dealership uses a poor method of fixing flats on luxury cars and he is sending me off to the local tire discounter!

I?m the same guy that had the oil leak problem that this dealer screwed up ? I tell him quickly about that series of events and let him know that they have just lost a customer and I?ll be happy to discuss my experience with any other person interested in BMWs.

As for the tire result ? I took it to a local tire dealer and upon their inspection found the screw was just wedged in between the tread and had not punctured the tire. Yeah! Boo to United BMW of Roswell, Ga.
That's pretty frustrating. I bought my car at Global Imports and have had it serviced there since it was new. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are responsive, knowledgeable and cooperative. I don't know where you live or work but you might want to look into using them for service.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

That's unfortunate. I think you should write a letter to the dealer owner and cc BMWNA , with the crunch on quality employees throughout NA it's difficult for employers to find, let alone keep ,good employees in todays world. While the SA may not care about you long term I'm sure the dealer owner does as the sales of luxury cars fall off ...............good luck
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It's universal these days, "Good help is hard, (if not impossible) to find!!"
Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm relatively new to Atlanta so haven't figured out where to take my car on a regular basis.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

Did you have the tire warranty with this as well?
I am wondering as I just picked up my new ride on Friday, and was debating on the tire warranty after reading several posts here.
TR.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by troybal' post='583776' date='May 19 2008, 03:42 PM
Did you have the tire warranty with this as well?
I am wondering as I just picked up my new ride on Friday, and was debating on the tire warranty after reading several posts here.
TR.
No, I did not buy a tire/wheel insurance or warranty. I don't have run flats. Regular tires are more forgiving and not nearly as expensive. They also last longer. You need to know that I don't drive in a "spirited" manner either.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Members

Just to finish this thread off. I did write a letter to the dealership General Manager, copying the Service Manager and BMW of NA. The tone of the letter was a professional as I could make it - pointing out my experience with the tire problem as well as the oil leaks. I did not ask for anything, only that they use my experience to guide additional training.

I received a call from the General Manager. He apologized for my troubles and indicated that they do repair the tires by putting a patch on the inside of the tire and that the 2nd & 3rd oil problems shouldn't have happened. He said they would address the training and knowledge issues in the shop. Also he realized that I might not be willing to come back for the next service, but if I do decide to come back, for me to set up the service appointment with him directly. I told him that I'd think about that. Right now I am inclined to give them another chance.

A few days later I got a call from BMW of NA. I reviewed my experience and they offered to have my car looked at by one of the BMW/NA techs. Their concern was twofold - 1) that my car was fixed correctly and working correctly and 2) I was completely satisfied that my issues were addressed. The conversation lasted about 20 minutes and I declined further intervention as I do believe everything was fixed correctly and the car is working properly.

Between the General Manager's call and the BMW of NA call I was impressed. It doesn't excuse what happened, but it does tell me BMW is concerned about customer satisfaction and their product performing correctly. I am confident that the issues were (will be) addressed at the dealership - that was all I asked.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Members

Good for you.
Care to post BMW NA's email address for future reference?
Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 545iBMW' post='595555' date='Jun 4 2008, 11:50 AM
Good for you.
Care to post BMW NA's email address for future reference?
Thanks.

I've gone thru the bmwusa.com website>contact us>Products and services/contact a bmw representative...

Quick Reply: Flat tire and dealer response