E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flashing auto headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

I leave my headlight switch on auto mode, when it's darker it enables the headlights and the green light on the switch lights up. Today that green light was blinking, anyone know why? Everything worked fine, I turned the car off then on again and the light was solid again as it should be.

What does a flashing green light switch mean?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

No offense but does anyone use the search function???? This issue has been discussed a few times in the past couple weeks...

It means your Active Headlamps are malfunctioning... its also in the manual.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by jaycal3
No offense but does anyone use the search function???? This issue has been discussed a few times in the past couple weeks...

It means your Active Headlamps are malfunctioning... its also in the manual.
Fo sho.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Back on topic, what's the approximate life span of the adaptive function anyway? Seems like it's happening more recently to some older years and my 5 is getting there in age. Back then you hardly find any post on this issue.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Contributors

This seems to be true as well. Recently we've heard of 2004 and 2005's AHL motor failing. So perhaps 6 years or so of usage is a good guess.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Back on topic, what's the approximate life span of the adaptive function anyway? Seems like it's happening more recently to some older years and my 5 is getting there in age. Back then you hardly find any post on this issue.
I'm guessing a lot of folks leave the headlights in the Auto position; and, if parked in a garage, the headlights initialize briefly until pulling out into the light and shutting down. If you've ever noticed, they move up and down briefly when they turn on. Thus, that's a lot of unnecessary activations, and I have always wondered if that is a burden on the mechanism. Thus, I leave my headlights Off and only switch them On when I really need them.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
I'm guessing a lot of folks leave the headlights in the Auto position; and, if parked in a garage, the headlights initialize briefly until pulling out into the light and shutting down. If you've ever noticed, they move up and down briefly when they turn on. Thus, that's a lot of unnecessary activations, and I have always wondered if that is a burden on the mechanism. Thus, I leave my headlights Off and only switch them On when I really need them.
That's a good point! I wonder if BMW would report the "duty-cycle" of the AHL components so we'd all have an idea about when they might fail.

But knowing, e.g. that your headlights would require a $XXXX.XX repair after 5-6 years, might not encourage folks to rush out to purchase a pre-owned BMW or keep the one they have more than X# years
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

First let me apologize for the post without searching, I admit this topic has been beaten to death, in my fear however that something was not working with my headlights I posted a new thread.

So I tested my headlight system and you folks were correct, the adaptive headlight system was malfunctioning, here's why...

A few days ago I installed after market LED lights for the angel eyes from here...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170621625276
Didn't realize that after the installation it disabled the AHL, never paid attention to the headlight switch itself until today.

I reinstalled the original angel eyes (yellow coloured ones) and now the AHL system works fine.

So this serves notice to those who buy after market angel eyes from the link above that your AHL will not work.

Problem solved folks, and many thanks again for your patience.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Contributors

What. This is actually unheard of to me. This is the first report that angel eyes causing adaptive function to fail.

I think we need more people to and chime in on this.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

did you happen to loosen any other wires while installing the after market AE because this is the first time I've ever read anything such as this from this forum or any other forum.

Quick Reply: Flashing auto headlight switch