E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

first week..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everone,

Just a quick post to share my experiences with the car in the first week.
She's 6 days old now and has done 1700 miles. (and killed a million bugs).

I must say I absolutely love this car. There isn't much that I would want in or on it, apart from bluetooth and voice recognistion. I'm going to sort that out with the dealer this week.

Haven't really gotten around to reading the manual yet. I started reading it and discovered that the dipping mirror can be switched off. Very happy about that.

A couple of odd things happened though. Today the satnav kept trying to convince me I was in Belfast, when instead I was on Luton Airport. Could this have anything to with the radar, air traffic control or something along those lines?
The dvd-player ate a cd! It took two large blades to pry it out Dunno what went wrong, stuck the nav-dvd back in and all's working again.
Today the seatbelt alarm went off for the passenger seat when it was empty. It's not doing it anymore now though. Very strange.

I thought I was supposed to get a gradually tinted windscreen, as the brochure said it came with the sun protection glass. Does anyone know? Does your car have it Doctor Diesel? I couldn't quite see it on your pics.
For those in the UK that are interested, I went to Holland and got the part numbers for the remote controlled parking heater, as this isn't available in the UK. I know it's June, but hey. They are:
64 50 0 302 758 at EUR 742 ex VAT
61 31 6 934 807 at EUR 108 ex vAT
This does not include labour. That particular dealer estimated labour at EUR 1200, but he said he was being over careful, as they hadn't fit one before yet.
The Germans said they'd do it aswell, but they couldn't give me a price. Apparently they have it done centrally in Frankfurt Main.

Brakedust is a bit excessive on this one I think. Is it supposed to get better of time? Especially since the Active Cruise Control loves to slam the brakes.

Some pictures of dead German bugs follow..

Fred
Attached Thumbnails first week..-pics_242.jpg  
Old 06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Attached Thumbnails first week..-pics_244.jpg  
Old 06-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Attached Thumbnails first week..-pics_247.jpg  
Old 06-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Attached Thumbnails first week..-pics_267.jpg  
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

If you talk to your dealer he will tell you not to put Cd's into to your DVD slot as you will have a hell of a job getting it back out.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Contributors

I know that know. I thought they were all the same size and shape though? And the cd played..
Old 06-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flowerfred,

Any chance of posting a photo of with your side lights on. I want to see whether the internal "horseshoe" ring does light up. A similar question was asked in another post on this forum. A similar photo to the one with dead bugs will do.
Just wondering whether the internal horse shoe ring only come with adaptive xenons? I have them on my xenons when looked at certain angles but they do not light up.

Oh yes the Graduated Tinted windscreen is the Green section/strip on top of the windscreen. I've got that on mine with the Sun Protection Glass but have 2 stone chips on one area so stands out a lot.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributors

fred,

I specced the grad-tint as well as privacy glass,

on another note, does your car have the single or double button behind the idrive knob, my car has a single menu button, no voice button . I'd be interested to hear how you get on with voice and bluetooth retrofit.

DD
Old 06-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Contributors

I went in for the tinted windscreen, most likely they'll replace it. I don't have the split button yet, but I intend to get it as soon as it's available.

Discovered today that if you get the parking heater, the independent ventilation works on the same remote. Cool!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributors

BMW530,

Forgot about the pic but it doesn't light up. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: first week..