E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

first time buyer 535

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 550i
Default first time buyer 528i

Hey there guys I’m looking into purchasing a 2010 528i with 60000 miles. I am new to the bmw world I’ve been doing some research tho. I was wondering if there is anything I should look for when buying this vehicle is there any common problems or anything you guys think I should be aware of ?

I just purchased it as well

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Andy707; 12-04-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Hmm, next to the 550, this is the next most troublesome model. Off the top of my head:

HPFP issues
DI injector problems
Turbo wastegate rattles
Accessory belt shredding into the front seal
OFH gasket leaks
Oily carbon buildup on intake ports
Electric waterpump failure
Coil problems

That's just the engine. The body electronics are pretty robust but this model is equally complex vs the 550.

I could go on. That said, I bought my '08 535xi in 2012 and it's been good. The only actual failures I've had are radiator and wear items. 204,000km
Old 12-04-2017, 02:22 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i Sport Package
Model Year: 2009

There are things you can look for and other things you can't. Keep in mind these cars require a lot more preventive maintenance than say a Lexus. You just have to expect it. I bought my 2009 535i with 55K miles on it. So far it's left me stranded twice. Once for electric water pump failure at 58K miles and once for bad o-ring on the oil cooler-lost 5 qts of oil, but the ecu shut the engine down. I've also had to replace the gaskets for the oil filter housing, oil cooler housing, and valve cover. I've upgraded all of the vacuum/boost lines, installed 2 catch cans and have converted it to an external PCV (this addresses the carbon build up on the intake valves), the drive belt and pulleys along with the tensioner, sparkplugs and coil packs. If you are looking an a 2010 the HPFP has already been addressed so you should be good there. So far my wastegates are quiet, but I am sure they start rattling too. I do all of my own mechanic work and the work was pretty straightforward for these repairs. It makes you realize that BMW over complicates everything.

That's about it. I've done the dual cone intake and a JB-4. The car is a blast to drive and makes a lot of power. I have the sport package too, which handles really well. I plan to install downpipes and a new front mount and that will be it. It's my daily diver so it needs to stay reliable and now that I've replaced most problem parts I should be good for a while.

Steve
Old 12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw 550i

Let me correct myself 528i sorry