E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Post. Head Gasket Problem on a M54 engine 2005 530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After checking the compression on my dead 530i, I decided to take the head out and have the head rebuilt.

The engine is a M54B30 on a 2005 530i with 100k miles that was probably overheated.

Compression was
1 -80 pounds
2 -91 pounds
3 -81 pounds
4 -40 pounds
5 -61 pounds
6 -70 pounds

With some knowledge in how an engine works and some tools, I decided to do the project by myself and not give it to a dealer.
While i'm doing it, I will also replace

1. Water Pump
2. Thermostat
3. Radiator - (Probably)
4. Oil Separator and those plastic tubes.
5. All Gaskets along the way

*** PLEASE ADVISE ME WHAT TO ADD TO THIS LIST FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE ***

My budget is roughly 1500$ including tools, sending the head to the machine shop, fluids, gaskets and other miscellaneous stuff
I will definitely need the help of people here on the forum because this is the first time i'm doing it. Hope I don't brake everything.

Lots of info found here
Pelican Tech Article - http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ead-Gasket.htm
Journal: M54 Head Gasket Replacement- http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1220347&page=1 (it looks a little different but almost the same)
BENTLEY SERVICE MANUAL FOR e60 -
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

Day 1 (3 hours spent )
Ordered a Used head on ebay. 350$ I hope to have this head rebuilt and waiting by the time i will take mine off the engine. So I will spend less time waiting the machine shop. And have an extra head just in case.

Started the Intake removal.
At this stage it's good to have an inspection mirror that will help you see all the connectors under the intake.

Removed Valve Cover and inspected the camshafts for any damages. - Found some coolant mixed with oil, not too bad though.
Removed Fan Assembly.
Removed Air Box.
Removed Fuel injectors with the connectors. - Don't loose those clamps, they are pretty small and like to get out of sight
Disconnected Fuel line, most of the hoses and Connectors under the intake manifold. - Some of them will be replaced when i replace the Oil separator.
Have Most of the bolts off the intake.

But there is ONE BOLT under the intake that I can't see that holds it. It's a PITA to get to it and after 1 hour of trying I gave up and left it for the night.
If anyone has any tips on how to get to it or where it is, I would be very grateful. A picture of it would be awesome.

Precautions for those that want to take a intake manifold out:
Disconnect the Battery terminal first
Release the fuel pressure from the lines before removing the fuel rail. You can do it by pressing on that valve on the rail and hold some rags on top.

This is it for day one. I will try to add pictures if possible for those interested.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i, Premium Package, Navigation, 6-speed manual. Mods include: M5 rear bumper, custom exhaust with quad tips, M5 wheels, M5 steering wheel & shift knob, MTech front bumper and rocker panels , LED tail lights, RD Sport short throw shifter, ESS Stage 2 supercharger system with air/water intercooler

Looks like you have a problem in the #4 cylinder and possibly in 5 and 6. That is to wide of a variation in pressure between cylinders.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I'm very interested, since we have the same car. I would also check the top of the block for warping if I were you, it uses an aluminum alloy and may have been warped by the overheating - in which case it's another trip to the machine shop and it will blow your budget because the block will need planing. M54B30

Good to see another DIY'er around, good luck, and if you're in SoCal and need a hand I may be able to help.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Members

Placed an order for the Bentley Manual. Will get it tomorrow. Overnight shipping is the only reason why I ordered it.
If it turns out that I have a bad block, I will swap the engine. And sell parts from what I have to recover some of the costs.

Really appreciate your input guys. Will definitely use some help. Hope to get advices on this forum.

By the way, I'm in Orange County, SoCal. Will probably use your help at some point.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Members

There is one thing that bugs my mind though. I'm a very optimistic person and the idea that I may have a faulty pressure gauge is not leaving me alone.
I will have to pull a spark plug on my 2006 E85 and see if it reads compression properly.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

This a great thread. Cannot wait to read how this all pans out.
Good Luck!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Members

Thanks.
By the way, if it turns out a success and the block was not affected, I will buy the GT1 Diagnosis Tool.
Very excited about it and was researching a lot into it. But need to save as much as i can on the head gasket job to afford the GT1
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Maybe this thread should be redirected to DIY.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Contributors

Props to you ciudin! Hopefully notthing serious and you can buy the GT1 Diagnosis Tool. I have changed the front passenger side window's regulator before in the dark with a flashlight. But anything to do with engine, transmission, or belts I feel like I'll mess up and make it worse. And yes the e60 Bently Service Manual will be handy for people without warranty.

Quick Reply: First Post. Head Gasket Problem on a M54 engine 2005 530i