E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Long Trip in my E60

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007 | 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='391610' date='Feb 14 2007, 11:13 PM
"I noticed a lot of drivers were annoying and don?t respect the left lane is for passing rule. They just enjoy cursing on the left lane. Some drivers don?t bother to look in their rear view mirrors while on the left lane and don?t know who?s behind them. Others know I am behind them but don?t care and don?t bother to move! I?ll have to say that I am extremely disappointed on how the ?majority? of us (Americans) drive!"

Ditto! There is nothing more annoying than being held back by some oblivious dope or self-righteous speed enforcement dweeb. They seem to have taken over the highways! I don't mind someone going slow, so long as they are in the right lane or at least move over when you approach. I suspect that they cause as many accidents as speeders do simply by causing people to make wild lane changes to get around them. I've wittnessed it too often.
This type of mentality is so true on our British roads too where I suspect we have much more congestion of the lanes than in the States not just in the cities simply because there are too many cars on our road network where road building has not kept pace. However, I get so infuriated with drivers doing just as you describe only in the right hand lane for us - which on a 2 or more lane road is meant to be for overtaking only and not a lane that you stay in for miles on end regardless.

I'm convinced that if the police did more pulling over of these morons for driving in the incorrect lane and refusing to pull over then our roads would run so much smoother and with less stress and aggression building up in the drivers. As it is I am always seeing the left hand or middle lanes largely empty when everyone fighting for a place in the "fast" lane - but they don't drive at the appropriate speed. If they did then we wouldn't by definition have empty left/middle lanes.

A polite flash of the lights to signal that perhaps it might be an idea to move over only serves to have the driver in front hold his ground for all he's worth. I won't pull over because I am doing the legal speed limit or I just can't be bothered to be inconvenienced to press the indicator lever and steer slightly to the left.

So what can you do - apart from overtake on the left which of course is illegal in our nanny state but a technicality of the Highway Code is what I am prepared to quote should I be questioned on the matter: something like if the queue to the right is moving slower then it is acceptable to pass more quickly on the left. Until the police start to act on this menacing behaviour which causes so much road rage and stop using cameras to extort money out of law abiding drivers who stray slightly over the outdated 1950's inspired speed limits then I will continue to do this. I refuse to travel for miles on end in the outside lane like a bunch of moronic sheep when the other lanes hardly experience any worn tarmac surface.

We could increase the road capacity of the UK at a stroke if the police acted sensibly on what they are paid to do. Case in point, the infamous M25 ring road around our great capital has expanded in parts to a multi-lane motorway. But you guessed it - at certain times of the day there are now just a greater number of inside lanes which are virtually empty. Come on Tony Blair - do something useful for a change and get this sorted and quick...... I won't hold my breath though as this kind of issue is a little too domestic to hold his interest. Besides it's always useful to maintain a climate of fear, such is the case with the proliferation of roadside tax collection boxes, whoops sorry "safety" speed cameras to keep the ordinary mortals like me from getting out of control in this "free" land of ours.
Old 02-16-2007 | 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by dawi' post='391655' date='Feb 14 2007, 07:59 PM
This type of mentality is so true on our British roads too where I suspect we have much more congestion of the lanes than in the States not just in the cities simply because there are too many cars on our road network where road building has not kept pace. However, I get so infuriated with drivers doing just as you describe only in the right hand lane for us - which on a 2 or more lane road is meant to be for overtaking only and not a lane that you stay in for miles on end regardless.

I'm convinced that if the police did more pulling over of these morons for driving in the incorrect lane and refusing to pull over then our roads would run so much smoother and with less stress and aggression building up in the drivers. As it is I am always seeing the left hand or middle lanes largely empty when everyone fighting for a place in the "fast" lane - but they don't drive at the appropriate speed. If they did then we wouldn't by definition have empty left/middle lanes.

A polite flash of the lights to signal that perhaps it might be an idea to move over only serves to have the driver in front hold his ground for all he's worth. I won't pull over because I am doing the legal speed limit or I just can't be bothered to be inconvenienced to press the indicator lever and steer slightly to the left.

So what can you do - apart from overtake on the left which of course is illegal in our nanny state but a technicality of the Highway Code is what I am prepared to quote should I be questioned on the matter: something like if the queue to the right is moving slower then it is acceptable to pass more quickly on the left. Until the police start to act on this menacing behaviour which causes so much road rage and stop using cameras to extort money out of law abiding drivers who stray slightly over the outdated 1950's inspired speed limits then I will continue to do this. I refuse to travel for miles on end in the outside lane like a bunch of moronic sheep when the other lanes hardly experience any worn tarmac surface.

We could increase the road capacity of the UK at a stroke if the police acted sensibly on what they are paid to do. Case in point, the infamous M25 ring road around our great capital has expanded in parts to a multi-lane motorway. But you guessed it - at certain times of the day there are now just a greater number of inside lanes which are virtually empty. Come on Tony Blair - do something useful for a change and get this sorted and quick...... I won't hold my breath though as this kind of issue is a little too domestic to hold his interest. Besides it's always useful to maintain a climate of fear, such is the case with the proliferation of roadside tax collection boxes, whoops sorry "safety" speed cameras to keep the ordinary mortals like me from getting out of control in this "free" land of ours.
Well said! I couldn't agree more. They used to enforce the "Keep right except to pass" & "Slower traffic keep right" rules here, but they seem all but forgotten now. I remember a very long time ago riding with my dad from Pennsylvania to Illinois just cruising along in the left lane at the speed limit and a state trooper told him to move over. That would probably never happen today.
Old 02-17-2007 | 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='392286' date='Feb 16 2007, 06:29 PM
Well said! I couldn't agree more. They used to enforce the "Keep right except to pass" & "Slower traffic keep right" rules here, but they seem all but forgotten now. I remember a very long time ago riding with my dad from Pennsylvania to Illinois just cruising along in the left lane at the speed limit and a state trooper told him to move over. That would probably never happen today.
Aren't there certain states in the US though that allow overtaking on either side? This has been debated by the so called experts in the UK who rejected it on safety grounds - so we go on with the current messy lane discipline on our roads.
Old 02-17-2007 | 05:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='390650' date='Feb 12 2007, 02:37 PM
Really nice! I'm glad you like it.

I reached 260 km/h in Gemany
I love this picture! Kicking ass with the inline 6!

Let me tell you my v8 brothers that the 530 MT is crisp and quick and we have lots and lots of passing power also!

The v8 rocks no doubt! Must be a hell of a ride, but don't thing we are not having fun getting ours with our light inline smooth engine!

I have mine 5 days now and just very very happy with my set up and the performance.

If we all happy, then its all good!