E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Long Trip in my E60

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

I just took my 545i on a 1500 miles trip between Washington, DC and Houston, TX.

It is the first time I take my E60 on such a long trip other than commuting and running weekend errands.

I'll have to say that the acceleration of the V8 on the mountains of southern Virginia and eastern Tennessee was exhilarating!

I love my E60!

This car makes me feel that everyone on the road drives too slowly! Most cars, especially on long steep climbs were going too slow. Some trucks or cars try to pass others on steep up hills and I usually come right behind them on the left lane and wait forever until I get an opening to get through!

I noticed a lot of drivers were annoying and don?t respect the left lane is for passing rule. They just enjoy cursing on the left lane. Some drivers don?t bother to look in their rear view mirrors while on the left lane and don?t know who?s behind them. Others know I am behind them but don?t care and don?t bother to move! I?ll have to say that I am extremely disappointed on how the ?majority? of us (Americans) drive! :'(

The best driving was in Louisiana. I was able to sustain "high" speeds for extended periods of time. 400 miles of highway across Louisiana and I only saw one police car clocking speeders! Not bad at all.

The worst driving was in Alabama and Mississippi. There were too many police speed traps in those states. Too many ? it was unbelievable. I think they just care so much about collecting revenue $$$$!

Texas drivers were the fastest I think. Once I entered the Lone Star State, I was not the fastest one on the road anymore!

I love this car!

The speed limit was 70MPH on most of the trip but it felt like a joke! Most of the highways can ?safely? handle 90+MPH speeds.

I averaged 24.2MPG which is not bad.

Did I mention how much I love this car?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Fact is, the more you drive a E60 the more you love it.

The car runs very nice also above 130 mph...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Yup, its a great highway car. I have already logged over 9000 miles on mine since June of last year.

I lived in Alabama for a while. Yup, they love to pad their town revenues with traffic tickets. Ironically I found the worst county in Talladega County, home of the NASCAR racetrack.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Really nice! I'm glad you like it.

I reached 260 km/h in Gemany
Attached Thumbnails First Long Trip in my E60-speedometer.jpg  
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aosman' post='390618' date='Feb 12 2007, 12:50 PM
I'll have to say that I am extremely disappointed on how the "majority" of us (Americans) drive! :'(
I totally agree with you, the concept of "Left lane only for passing" is not known.

Glad you enjoyed it. I have to take one of those long trips, perhaps to California.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

We drive a lot long-distance, and after almost 3 years we have done 97.000 km's in this car (soon to be 100.000 kms )

What a highway car it is.. We can almost do 1000 km's on one tank of diesel, and the torque is just amazing in this car.. The best crusing speed in the E60 530dA is around 160-180 km/h = 2300-2500 rpm's

Autobahn A7, between Hannover and Hamburg:
First Long Trip in my E60-e60net.jpg
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

good to hear you love your car as much as we love ours.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D , Msport, Deep Sea Blue , Cream Beige Dakota , Due April 2007.

" just took my 545i on a 1500 miles trip between Washington, DC and Houston, TX."

i'm getting my first E60 in April ....... have booked a holiday in france for june , driving from Ireland , looking forward to it
Old 02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Mine is 525i. I don't think it can reach 260 km/h..
Good to hear the quality of 545i though..
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

"I noticed a lot of drivers were annoying and don?t respect the left lane is for passing rule. They just enjoy cursing on the left lane. Some drivers don?t bother to look in their rear view mirrors while on the left lane and don?t know who?s behind them. Others know I am behind them but don?t care and don?t bother to move! I?ll have to say that I am extremely disappointed on how the “majority” of us (Americans) drive!"

Ditto! There is nothing more annoying than being held back by some oblivious dope or self-righteous speed enforcement dweeb. They seem to have taken over the highways! I don't mind someone going slow, so long as they are in the right lane or at least move over when you approach. I suspect that they cause as many accidents as speeders do simply by causing people to make wild lane changes to get around them. I've wittnessed it too often.

Quick Reply: First Long Trip in my E60