E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004 | 09:13 AM
Members

Picked up my 530i last Friday and I have to say overall I am very impressed with the car. I love the iDrive system and the car's handling and performance. However I've yet to really drive it outside of London so am looking forward to this weekend.

I do have a few minor complaints though.

-Intermittent screeching sound from front right, only when car is coasting at 10-20mph and disappears on application of the brakes. (Will have this looked at next week)

-Condensation inside the front lights

-Rust on the brakes (clip on the caliper and also the inner part of the wheel, between the disc and the actual wheel)

-Air-conditioning has a funny smell at times

-TMC doesn't work, but have been advised not to upgrade to 13.2 because it has too many bugs (Told by 2 dealers now and BMWGB have issued an email advising dealers not to upgrade)

Anyone had similar problems?
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:40 AM
Contributors

Somebody has Rust on the brake rotor, AC smell, TMC does not work, but never heard of condensation inside the front lights. Check for damage of your front headlights.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kiwi530i' date='Oct 13 2004, 06:13 PM
Picked up my 530i last Friday and I have to say overall I am very impressed with the car. I love the iDrive system and the car's handling and performance. However I've yet to really drive it outside of London so am looking forward to this weekend.

-Intermittent screeching sound from front right, only when car is coasting at 10-20mph and disappears on application of the brakes. (Will have this looked at next week)

It will disappear after the pads are grooved like the discs.

Warrenty, do not delay.

-Rust on the brakes (clip on the caliper and also the inner part of the wheel, between the disc and the actual wheel)

A lot of E60's seem to have that.

Warrenty, straight away. do not let them charge you!

-TMC doesn't work, but have been advised not to upgrade to 13.2 because it has too many bugs (Told by 2 dealers now and BMWGB have issued an email advising dealers not to upgrade)

Version 13.1 is great. The first one to solve all issues in mine. Are you sure you have the option ticked in traffic settings?

[snapback]44353[/snapback]
good luck
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:42 AM
Contributors

Not sure how to do multiple quotes. My comments are in there, sorry.
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I noticed the condensation inside the front lights on a rainy night when I first picked up the car last January but haven't seen it since. Don't know if I just haven't noticed it or if it went away. Waiting for cool, rainy weather again to check it out.

I also have some rust on wheel housings. I will question this when I take the car in next time.

Air conditioning has funny smell at times as well and I am planning to complain about it eventually. I don't normally drive with the A/C on and the smell occurs mostly when I have been using A/C and then turn it off.
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:06 PM
Members

Thanks all, have the car booked in next Monday so will see what happens.

My a/c smell is usually only noticeable for a few seconds but still annoying.

The condensation in the lights is a common problem on the X5 (according to X5 forums) and the dealer should replace them.
Old 10-13-2004 | 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kiwi530i' date='Oct 13 2004, 11:13 AM

[snapback]44353[/snapback]
on condensation, I had this, dealer replaced lights, been fine since. Also had fog lights replaced.

TMC not working, as you know from my posts today, need correct s/w version and DVD

air con smell, is your car new? if so give it a week or so...if it is a few months or more old I have used this product which kills the bacteria build up that occurs in all air con systems, retails at about ?12?
Old 10-13-2004 | 02:47 PM
Contributors

I've had condensation in the fog lights but never in the headlights.
Old 10-18-2004 | 03:22 AM
Members

Update on problems.

Screeching sound was due to something at the back of the rotor (brake backing plate) which is being replaced.

Condensation in front lights is considered normal apparently, I'll have to argue a bit more with them.

Rust on the brake caliper clips, they will replace the clips, but the rust on the inside of the rotor is considered normal.

Air-conditioning is being sorted, they are cleaning it and replacing the filter.

Asked for the iDrive upgrade and TMC, got told they are waiting for 13.2 and will need my car until tommorrow. The car needs a lot of updates apparently, which is a bit annoying as I specifically asked the dealer I bought it off to make sure it was all up to date. (1 week ago)
Old 10-18-2004 | 04:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kiwi530i' date='Oct 18 2004, 05:22 AM
Condensation in front lights is considered normal apparently, I'll have to argue a bit more with them.
[snapback]46199[/snapback]
that advice seems to vary then from dealer to dealer. The tech guy that looked at mine just shrugged his shoulders and said "never seen that before on this model....i'll order new headlight units for both sides to be safe"....at that time only one side had condensation in.

its no skin of their nose to replace the lights...just a warranty claim, fitting is simple i think. if they do replace make sure they set them up correctly, mine came out set to low, auto-levelling cannot compensate for them pointing at a spot about 10ft in front of the car LOL all sorted now though.

Regarding your s/w updates...I am assuming you asked the "salesman" to make sure it was upto date? If so, that explains it, a few things I asked for in my deal did not get done until i took car back and let service sort it out.