E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Extended Drive in my E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

I took delivery of my CPO E60 back in late January. Since then, however, most of my driving in the E60 have been very short runs; to the gym, office, dinner, mall, etc. In other words, very little highway driving.

Very enjoyable driving, however, not the true reason behind why I opted for the purchase of the "ultimate driving machine."

While I long for the winding roads of Western Pennsylvania or Northern Michigan, if I want to get true enjoyment out of my E60 close to home, I need to resort to highway driving.

Yesterday morning I had to convey our daughter to a fast pitch softball tournament in Jackson, MI, a 75 mile drive from home that was about 95% highway driving. We left yesterday morning at 6:30 and arrived at the tournament site 1 short hour later, all thanks to the E60.

It was such an enjoyable drive on mostly empty interstate. I had the cruise control engaged at 81 MPH for most of the drive, however, there were those few instances where I encountered some traffic, but with a shift of the tranny to sport mode, a push on the pedal, the traffic was behind me and the speedo was edging toward 100 MPH with very little effort.

The drive home was fun but not as enjoyable as there was much more traffic on the road.

The 150 mile round trip reinforced that my decision to purchase the E60 was the right one, not to mention she averaged > 26 MPG for the entire trip.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by one4thethumb' post='874873' date='May 11 2009, 08:40 AM
I took delivery of my CPO E60 back in late January. Since then, however, most of my driving in the E60 have been very short runs; to the gym, office, dinner, mall, etc. In other words, very little highway driving.

Very enjoyable driving, however, not the true reason behind why I opted for the purchase of the "ultimate driving machine."

While I long for the winding roads of Western Pennsylvania or Northern Michigan, if I want to get true enjoyment out of my E60 close to home, I need to resort to highway driving.

Yesterday morning I had to convey our daughter to a fast pitch softball tournament in Jackson, MI, a 75 mile drive from home that was about 95% highway driving. We left yesterday morning at 6:30 and arrived at the tournament site 1 short hour later, all thanks to the E60.

It was such an enjoyable drive on mostly empty interstate. I had the cruise control engaged at 81 MPH for most of the drive, however, there were those few instances where I encountered some traffic, but with a shift of the tranny to sport mode, a push on the pedal, the traffic was behind me and the speedo was edging toward 100 MPH with very little effort.

The drive home was fun but not as enjoyable as there was much more traffic on the road.

The 150 mile round trip reinforced that my decision to purchase the E60 was the right one, not to mention she averaged > 26 MPG for the entire trip.
I couldn't agree more. The E60 is a great highway/long distance car. To me, the seats are perfect.

This weekend I did about a 250 miles drive from New York all over the Poconos in Pennsylvania and my back was never tired. I did everything from highway cruising to sweepers and twisties and the car never missed a beat.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Seats are a huge win, even the non-sports. I love em!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

Non sport seats are ok... but the sport seats are awesome.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Members

I just took an awesome drive over the Santiam Pass this weekend. Lots of 35mph switch backs and hairpins. There are tons of wonderful driving roads where I live. If you can avoid the falling rocks.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributors

i love how driving these cars at 100+ still feels like your going 60. So smooth all the way through the gears as well. The drive to my house is pretty rural so i get to open it up nearly every day on the drive home. I usually hit 100 and slow down to 80. Have taken my 530 to 136. Fast enough for me.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

You gotta love that first nice, long drive in the E60, I'm sure we all remember it!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Heck you can barely get warmed up in a 250 mile day. Today I had another typical work day for me 295 miles Greenville, SC to Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC, and then home. Just another day in the office...

Now last Saturday was a day that I was looking forward to. My first EXTENDED drive in my E60 (I got it back in Jan) from Greenville, SC to St Louis, MO. My friends and family were asking why I wasnt flying to this conference I had to attend. Deep down inside I was nearly sleepless for a few days before I left, I had been looking so forward to a full day by myself behind the the wheel. Anyone who knows this part of the country can relate to how much fun the run from Asheville to Knoxville on I-40 was in an E60. I think I might have straightened a few of those curves out a little.

And speaking of the comfort seats that is why I bought this specific E60 to cradle my +45,000 mile per year backside in comfort.

I am loving this car, and I hope to for many years to come.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='875505' date='May 11 2009, 08:46 PM
i love how driving these cars at 100+ still feels like your going 60. So smooth all the way through the gears as well. The drive to my house is pretty rural so i get to open it up nearly every day on the drive home. I usually hit 100 and slow down to 80. Have taken my 530 to 136. Fast enough for me.
The benefits of living in the Great Plains...

If I reguarly ran my ride up to 100 mph in Manhattan, I'd be arrested.

Need more E60.net meets in the boonies so my ride can strech its legs and realize its true potential. Hmmm..planning one now for the Poconos.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra
Talking

Originally Posted by Turboe' post='875537' date='May 11 2009, 09:16 PM
Heck you can barely get warmed up in a 250 mile day. Today I had another typical work day for me 295 miles Greenville, SC to Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC, and then home. Just another day in the office...

Now last Saturday was a day that I was looking forward to. My first EXTENDED drive in my E60 (I got it back in Jan) from Greenville, SC to St Louis, MO. My friends and family were asking why I wasnt flying to this conference I had to attend. Deep down inside I was nearly sleepless for a few days before I left, I had been looking so forward to a full day by myself behind the the wheel. Anyone who knows this part of the country can relate to how much fun the run from Asheville to Knoxville on I-40 was in an E60. I think I might have straightened a few of those curves out a little.

And speaking of the comfort seats that is why I bought this specific E60 to cradle my +45,000 mile per year backside in comfort.

I am loving this car, and I hope to for many years to come.
I can relate... I had to visit one of my company's clients down in Jersey City a couple of times a couple of years ago and I elected to drive every time! The drive down from MA to Jersey City only took me 3hrs (according to iDrive, I averaged 74mph).

Quick Reply: First Extended Drive in my E60