E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First BMW Purchase turning out to be a nightmare!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic' post='768861' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:28 PM
I got my BMW from Big motoring world in Kent in the UK 4 days ago, since iv owned the car i have seen

Airbag warning light
Seatbelt warning light
Tyre puncture warning light
Parking sensors stoped working after 48 hours

Im stressed and tierd and have got to the point where im starting not to like the car even tho i should be loving it!
I dont know what to do anymore
If you're a home owner you may have legal cover on your buildings insurance which can help you out. As already mentioned by others you have statutory rights. Make sure you document everything you do and act quickly, especially if you're planning on rejecting the car. Is there a finance company involved? If so they also may be able to offer some assistance if the dealer won't help.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='768888
Your rights when buying from a dealer

When buying from a dealer, the law says a car must be:

Of satisfactory quality. It must meet the standard a reasonable person would regard as acceptable, bearing in mind the way it was described, how much it cost, the age and the mileage on the vehicle. Amongst other things, this covers the appearance and finish of the car, its safety and its durability. The car must be free from defects, except when they were pointed out to you by the seller.

As described. If the advert states “air conditioning and CD player” then the car should come with these features and they should be working.

Reasonably fit for any normal purpose. It should get you from A to B.

Reasonably fit for any other purpose you specify to the seller. For example, towing a caravan.

These rights are not affected by any mechanical breakdown insurance (which is often sold by dealers if the manufacturer's warranty has run out), guarantee or warranty giving additional protection. Once a trader gives a warranty it becomes an agreement on its own, but it is not your legal right to demand a warranty from the trader.

If you inspect the car, or someone does so for you, the dealer may not be liable for any faults which should have been uncovered by the inspection. It's a good idea to get a description of the vehicle's condition from the dealer: ask whether there is a pre-sale inspection checklist.

Go to this website for a heads up.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/before_yo...out/cars/dealer

You need to get on to your local citizens advice bureau pronto and get some advice.

The warranty does not alleviate the dealer of its legal obligation.

Find out your rights and use them to your advantage. You are better protected buying a used car from a dealer than a private person. Buying privately is largely a case of buyer beware, not quite so when you buy from a dealer.

Even the car is used they do have obligations they must adhere to.

As far as I am aware it is down to them to prove the fault wasn't there when you bought the car for anything that arises in the first 6 months of your ownership despite your 3rd party warranty.

Most businesses will try it on thinking you are unaware of your legal rights.

Don't forget, however, that you still have a contract with the dealer or finance company who sold you the car. You might want to argue, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) that this is an unreasonable fault to have developed so soon after purchase, and that the dealer is in breach of contract, especially so if the fault was pre existing (which it probably was) and not described by them to you when you bought the car.
Thank you so much for your advice. like i said above i shall call warrenty and see if i can get everything sorted out at once. if this is not that case then i shall do just as you say and prob quote a few things that you have said and see what results i get

This is an unfortunate situation i am in as i love everything about my car but im just not enjoying it as im always worrying about how and when things are going to be alright and how much they are going to cost me. In the current situation spending out on repairs after 4 days of buying a new car just aint good enough. i got this car coz i wanted something reliable..
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Members

Call the dealer, tell them you're bringing it back for them to fix and if they don't you want your money back.
End of.