E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Finding a restaurant with the NAV

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i Step w/ NAV
Thumbs up

I just traded my '01 330i w/ NAV in for an '05 545i w/NAV. I love the improved NAV speed (and car speed too!) and widescreen but there is one thing bugging me. In the 330i I could enter a city name as the destination and then look for a restaurant by name. In the 545i when I try this it list only a handful of restaurants starting at the city center. Is there a way to find a restaurant by name and city?

Drew
ps - My first post here on E60.NET - I browsed a lot during my car search and this site was a great help. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:12 AM
JDN
Contributors

Welcome, Drew. Use the Input Map for finding a new destination. Move the pointer to the vicinity of the area where you need restaurant information. Select the new location as the destination. Then select information. You will be queried as to whether you want info on location or new destination. Choose new destination. You will be able to select the restaurant from an array of restaurants on the new destination. Hope that's clear enough to let you hack it.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Members

I'll try that to see if it is any easier but I doubt it. Here is the problem I want to solve. Find the restaurant Ambria in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago. First off the NAV does not know Chicago neighborhoods so selecting Lincoln Park as a destination is out. I know that Lincoln Park is about two miles north of the loop (city center) so I so go to the map and pick a spot about two miles north as my destination. Then go view restaurants near my destination. It will probably return ten listings within a few hundred feet of my map selection (there are a lot of restaurants in Chicago). None of them will be Ambria as it is one half mile from my destination. Plus it will display restaurants by their distance from my destination so even if they all are displayed Ambria will be ten pages deep in the listings or more.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I have the same problem.
A very simply search by name seems not possible (at least I could never find it...).
Old 06-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:14 PM
I have the same problem.
A very simply search by name seems not possible (at least I could never find it...).
[snapback]143158[/snapback]
Not possible yet
Old 06-26-2005, 11:07 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by drewcwsj' date='Jun 26 2005, 11:56 AM
I'll try that to see if it is any easier but I doubt it.? Here is the problem I want to solve.? Find the restaurant Ambria in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago.? First off the NAV does not know Chicago neighborhoods so selecting Lincoln Park as a destination is out.? I know that Lincoln Park is about two miles north of the loop (city center) so I so go to the map and pick a spot about two miles north as my destination.? Then go view restaurants near my destination.? It will probably return ten listings within a few hundred feet of my map selection (there are a lot of restaurants in Chicago).? None of them will be Ambria as it is one half mile from my destination.? Plus it will display restaurants by their distance from my destination so even if they all are displayed Ambria will be ten pages deep in the listings or more.
[snapback]143147[/snapback]
Finding Lincoln Park on my 2nd Qtr DVD was pretty easy. There are three Lincoln Parks in the US, MI, NJ, and TX. I picked MI. I must have found 100-150 restaurants up to 20 miles away. However, to locate them all, you have to search by types of restaurants. The All Restaurants choice only displayed up to 2.5 miles out. But by choosing Asian, American, Italian, European, etc. the display often reached out 10-20 miles, presumably from the center of Lincoln Park. I never did find the Ambria restaurant in the listings. Maybe my DVD would need updating.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

I had the same question and got the same answer (can't be done with BMW Nav). That discussion is in a thread you can find using the search term "benihana". Someone replied to my thread with a link to another thread with discussing the issue. I ran into another problem the other day, i was trying to get directions to the marriott hotel and marina in san diego. There are a couple marriotts downtown san diego. They all have long names that are too long to fit in the one line description in the nav destination list. So i had to select each one to see if it was on the water or not.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Members

Here is a funny one. I tried to search by restaurant and then by the European category. I never realized that Einsteins Bagels and the Thai Cafe are European. Of course Ambria a four start French restaurant was listed in the "Other" category.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:23 PM
JDN
Contributors

I'm curious, Drew, is Ambria a relatively new restaurant that may not be programmed into my 2nd quarter '04 NAV DVD? I kept expecting it to show up on the screen because I had a huge selection of restaurants.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Members

Ambria is on my DVD. 2300 N Lincoln Park, Chicago. A fabulous restaurant by the way.

Quick Reply: Finding a restaurant with the NAV