E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FINALLY INSTALLED M5tech kit and too many problems now

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition
Default FINALLY INSTALLED M5tech kit and too many problems now

Ok Bmw enthusiast. Need some advice and some help. I started to install the front bumper on my 2006 530xi and first thing that went wrong was I broke one of the pdc senSors by pushing it out. Called dealer they want 220$ for one. Completely crazy!! So then I continue with the install but can't get the bumper to fit from wing to wing. I tried cutting down the foam in certain spots but nothing. The only way I can make it fit from end to end is by removing the complete foam. I'm pretty sure this is not correct. But I left it like that since I have to go back there to replace damaged pdc. Then I proceeded installing the side skirts no reall issue there but stupid clips were a pain in the ass. So I go and turn on the car first i get the annoying sound from the defaulty pdc then shortly after I start to here my fan start to go off and on. Now mind u I just replaced my waterpump and thermostat about 2 months ago. The fan stays on for about 10 seconds then turns off then starts back up in 40 seconds. So I decide to go into the hidden menu to see the temperature and idling in the driveway it sat with the fan coming on and off at 79-80c. So I'm starting to wonder is it possible I mite of hit a wire or something when placing fron bumper or pdc malfuction triggering other things to go haywire? The BMW service tech guy on the phone told me it was going to start to do odd things. So what u guys think? This definitely put a damper in what should of been a good day
Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 PM
New Members

So here's a recap- I know have non working pdc that gives out a ringing noise Even if I shut it off by hitting pdc button I still here it. I have a bumper that's just a tap away from probably breaking if someone backs into. Since there's no support (foam) behind it and now cant drive it since I'm not sure if I'm overheating! Good thing I'm on vacation as of this weekend. Get my mind of it. Lol
Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did you trim the front wheel well liners?
what instructions did you follow?
and how did you break the pdc? not just a cracked clip?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 AM
New Members

Angry

Originally Posted by turboawd
did you trim the front wheel well liners?
what instructions did you follow?
and how did you break the pdc? not just a cracked clip?
No I didn't. Didn't see that in my instructions for disaster. Lol. I followd a few instructions I googled. Never seen that mentioned. Would that have mattered?. The way I broke it was when I was pushing the sensor on to the umnitza bumper I pushed it a bit to far. So then I tried to push it back in some and didn't budge. Then I grabbed it and pulled and that's when sensor just broke in 2
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The sensor brackets do not or should not hold the sensor that tight. I'm curious if you have the correct sensor bracket. The LCI brackets are smaller... Even with the brackets being non oem, I still can't imagine they are that tight to the sensor. The other styro pad is in the attachment. If your fitment looks ok without the pad I personally would leave it off and go order the correct one. I can't recall exactly, but it seems as if I had to trim maybe 10 mm or so off the lower edge of the styro pad, but again, I don't have pdc sensors. Looks like there are holes in the pad to receive them but if you are not getting the bumper in the correct position I could see the back of the sensor contacting the surface of the pad.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
140815_Media_Bumper_Stro_Pad.pdf (101.9 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by tonyb635; 08-15-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
The sensor brackets do not or should not hold the sensor that tight. I'm curious if you have the correct sensor bracket. The LCI brackets are smaller... Even with the brackets being non oem, I still can't imagine they are that tight to the sensor. The other styro pad is in the attachment. If your fitment looks ok without the pad I personally would leave it off and go order the correct one. I can't recall exactly, but it seems as if I had to trim maybe 10 mm or so off the lower edge of the styro pad, but again, I don't have pdc sensors. Looks like there are holes in the pad to receive them but if you are not getting the bumper in the correct position I could see the back of the sensor contacting the surface of the pad.
Was up tony.thanks for all ure help brother. Yes they were pretty tight. Orig I pushed it in to far so it was pretruding out the bumper. That's wen I pulled it and it broke in two. Not sure y bumper won't fit Seems like a inch short with the bumper foam in. Without fits great. But I did see that the sensors were close to the foam but not sure if that's were the issue lay. When I placed It on the car I went center first.then worked on one side then the other falls short
Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM
New Members

You need the M5 foam pieces to fit the bumper properly. Otherwise u will have a gap between the hood and bumper with no foam. Ans you need to buy the M% brake ducts.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gixman
You need the M5 foam pieces to fit the bumper properly. Otherwise u will have a gap between the hood and bumper with no foam. Ans you need to buy the M% brake ducts.
wow really? I haw a smal gap I was goihg to do the placing washer trick to lessen the gap How unsafe is it running with out the bumper foam? Also I've been driving the car today really haven't notice the fan coming on much. Car was between 75c and 85c. I hit 100 to 105c on the freeway a couple of times doing 80 mph with the air on. But it didn't stay in the 100s for long. Am guesibg this is normal operating temperature? Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

the styro pad does a couple of things. Like, filling the void between the bumper support and skin. Without it, if something hits this area you could end up with a badly damaged bumper and it might not take much. The other thing, believe it or not is crash testing. There's several places in the car where this material is added for that purpose. I'm often wondering how this pad could help you. But in the end it's all about compliance when getting into things like this. You should order the m5 pads before you leave so they are waiting on you when you return.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM
New Members

So the m5 pads are Definetly the way to go ? If so I'll def will order and just to double check. When u say pad u mean the foam piece I removed but I need the one from a m5? Thanks

Last edited by Bigjule111; 08-15-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY INSTALLED M5tech kit and too many problems now