E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Finally got it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my 2007 550i on Monday (my birthday) with the Performance Center delivery. Few observations, in comparison to my traded in '04 545.

Performance Center delivery - If you can do it definitely take advantage of it. Great experience with ~ 2 hours of driving another 550 extremely hard around a slalom course, braking course, and skidpad. This was a non-sport package car and the grip and handling were fantastic. Gives me a lot more confidence in handling any day to day issues.

Observations versus my 545i.

1. Exterior, nothing different. My wife asked why I got the "same car". Same color, just doesn't have 3 years worth of scratches, nicks, and dings.

2. Interior - What a difference 3 years makes. The fit and overall quality of the interior is a step change. I realize I had one of the first 545's delivered in the US, but I thought the interior quality was very sub par. Quite pleased. Auburn color is a very nice touch.

3. Engine - still in break in period but from a standing stop, not much diffence. Big difference is accelerating from ~30 mph in 3rd gear. HUGE difference...the new engine has much more usable torque, and I am still breaking it in.

4. Shift linkage - Throw of the new 6 speed is much shorter and crisper. I like it.

5. Comfort access - nice option to have.

6. Anthracite headliner - Well worth the $500. Totally transforms the interior with the black carpeting and trim.

7. Other plusses - Comfort seats, HUD is very nice. Have not had a chance to use Nav much so verdict is out.

8. Negatives - This hill assist for the clutch sucks. I have trained myself for 25 years to allow for a slight drift back when engaging the clutch on hills. I expect when I let off the brake that the car will drift back a bit and then I feather the clutch to get moving. Never had a problem no matter how steep the hill is. Don't need a computer to do it for me. Realize I will get used to it but I almost stalled the damn thing with the gadgetry. If it's not broke, dont' fix it. If you can't drive a manual, get an automatic. Why they had to "fix" this I don't quite get.

I drive - overall improved over original. Big improvment is you don't have to go back to the main menu to change functions. You can go from Nav to the Radio for example by just pulling the knob in the direction and holding for ~ 2 seconds. Only negative is that it seems to be a bit slowing in responses to input. Maybe my imagination

Final verdict.....I LOVE IT. Looked at the A6 S-line and Lexus GH450h. No comparison when you look at all features. Realize I paid a lot more for these features the the final judgement is the fun to drive factor and this car has it.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Farbton' post='301151' date='Jun 21 2006, 09:33 PM
Picked up my 2007 550i on Monday (my birthday) with the Performance Center delivery. Few observations, in comparison to my traded in '04 545.

Performance Center delivery - If you can do it definitely take advantage of it. Great experience with ~ 2 hours of driving another 550 extremely hard around a slalom course, braking course, and skidpad. This was a non-sport package car and the grip and handling were fantastic. Gives me a lot more confidence in handling any day to day issues.

Observations versus my 545i.

1. Exterior, nothing different. My wife asked why I got the "same car". Same color, just doesn't have 3 years worth of scratches, nicks, and dings.

2. Interior - What a difference 3 years makes. The fit and overall quality of the interior is a step change. I realize I had one of the first 545's delivered in the US, but I thought the interior quality was very sub par. Quite pleased. Auburn color is a very nice touch.

3. Engine - still in break in period but from a standing stop, not much diffence. Big difference is accelerating from ~30 mph in 3rd gear. HUGE difference...the new engine has much more usable torque, and I am still breaking it in.

4. Shift linkage - Throw of the new 6 speed is much shorter and crisper. I like it.

5. Comfort access - nice option to have.

6. Anthracite headliner - Well worth the $500. Totally transforms the interior with the black carpeting and trim.

7. Other plusses - Comfort seats, HUD is very nice. Have not had a chance to use Nav much so verdict is out.

8. Negatives - This hill assist for the clutch sucks. I have trained myself for 25 years to allow for a slight drift back when engaging the clutch on hills. I expect when I let off the brake that the car will drift back a bit and then I feather the clutch to get moving. Never had a problem no matter how steep the hill is. Don't need a computer to do it for me. Realize I will get used to it but I almost stalled the damn thing with the gadgetry. If it's not broke, dont' fix it. If you can't drive a manual, get an automatic. Why they had to "fix" this I don't quite get.

I drive - overall improved over original. Big improvment is you don't have to go back to the main menu to change functions. You can go from Nav to the Radio for example by just pulling the knob in the direction and holding for ~ 2 seconds. Only negative is that it seems to be a bit slowing in responses to input. Maybe my imagination

Final verdict.....I LOVE IT. Looked at the A6 S-line and Lexus GH450h. No comparison when you look at all features. Realize I paid a lot more for these features the the final judgement is the fun to drive factor and this car has it.
Sounds fantastic...i didn't realize you can switch the iDrive in the manner you described. good to know. FYI, pretty impressed with the NAV ('07 530i). After having used some aftermarket Garmin's and such, this one worked well on the maiden voyage today.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Congrats! Thanks for the comparison review.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

AWESOME! CONGRATS!!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Congratulations!

I wonder if you can get the dealership to disable Hill Start Assist?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

congrats bro
Old 06-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Cool birthday present. Congrats. Also enjoyed reading your comparisons.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Happy to know that interior fit and finish is better. But then it was fine for the first 8000 miles in my car too. I have removed most of the rattles and am happy now. I hope the quality of components is better and the car will stay put together after a year, like it should.

The I-drive trick has been there since NAV was introduced on the E60.

We just got a Garmin for my wife. I can only hope that BMW would adapt some of these features.
  1. NO DVD needed- Downloads latest area data from the Satellite
  2. Allows you to type in places by alpha- rather than the tedious search for information
  3. Responds fast
  4. Voice Nav prompts name the streets and highways that you need to turn on
  5. tells you which side of the street you destination is on.