E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Favorite tires for sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your favorite tires from a performance perspective balancing performance/life/cost?

I put on the Continental DWS last week because of all the glowing reviews and they?re great A/S tires but are not confidence inspiring when you push them. Just not performance oriented enough for me so I?m going to return them and I'm not sure what I want.

I had the Dunlop RFT first and then the Hancook V12s. Out of the three the V12s were my favorite but they had some slight vibration/shimmy we could never get out. Has anybody tried the Pirelli P-Zero Nero?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

michelin super sport
Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 AM
Members

I have the P-Zero Nero mounted on the rear of my car. They were installed by the previous owner, so I can't give you any indication of comparison to others. But, they're pretty good so far. They don't seem to be wearing too quickly. With a 550i I have to be careful when they're wet, even with traction control(I think its the car/driver more than the tires). However, in dry conditions, I'd trust them to stick w/o any problems. There are several reviews of these aroudn the internet give google a try if you don't get too many opinions here.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Contributors

In my experience the Michelin HiPerf tires are great for the first half of their tread life ... after that they really come up short in wet or slippery conditions. And they are typically are the most expensive and seem to wear more quickly too. So, if money is no object and you want to stick every time ... go for the Michelins. Otherwise the Conti's, Bridgestones, and Dunlops are top choices. For bang for your buck Yoko's and Kumho's get good reviews too. I've had Pirelli PZeros for lots of highway driving on a 740 sport and except for middling wet performance they were quiet and long wearing. Dunlops on the roadster are quiet and comfortable but a little soft in the twisties. I run General UHP Exclaims for the winter set-up on my 530XI. Bridgestone RE050A RFTs for the Summer.

I always check the TireRack ratings, reviews, and test summaries. If you buy thru the link in my signature you'll pick up additional cash rebates that could cover S&H.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

I've tried a few different ones... and I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in the rear and they definitely made a difference!

I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport PS2!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor

michelin super sport is the replacement for PS2. michelin super sport will now be the tire of choice for many high-end cars. check out the specs.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...er-sport-tires

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
I've tried a few different ones... and I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in the rear and they definitely made a difference!

I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport PS2!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by mvastine
Has anybody tried the Pirelli P-Zero Nero?
I swapped out the Dunlop OEM RFT's immediately after taking delievery of my 5er because of German law. Tires worked well in the cold and light snow. They were very quiet but not too much softer compared to the runflats. I never lost grip with them - and during the time the car was in Germany was when I really drove it hard.

In ATL, they stand up to the extreme summer heat quite well. Road noise increases noticeably as they wear down but the level is still acceptable. I've put about 40k miles on them and they still have a a bit of tread above the wear indicator. Got em from Tire Rack for about $800 shipped.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor

German law? What German law?

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I have the P zero neros on the back and conti on the front. This morning, my wife hit a pothole and blew out one p zero and one conti along with bending two wheels. Sticking with p zero and going with Yokohama on front.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
German law? What German law?

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
German law requires you have either winter or M&S rated tires on your car between October and April. The OEM dunlops are summer tires and I got the car on Oct 1 - hence the swap to the Pirellis

Quick Reply: Favorite tires for sport