E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Faulty parking sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,
The information maybe already on the site but i will give you the info again.
I have had a fault with my parking sensors and whilst scouring the net for info i discovered the best way to test the sensors. As you all know there are 4 front and 4 rear sensors and any one or more could be faulty.
So switch your ignition to position 2 but do not start the vehicle and put it into reverse. Go around the vehicle and touch each sensor and put your ear down to it. Each sensor that is working will vibrate slightly, but a more noticeable clicking noise will come from it if it is working ok. The faulty sensor will be dead, no sound or clicking.
Bad news is my front left is dead. And as you prbably know one faulty sensor stops the whole system working.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='598282' date='Jun 8 2008, 07:12 AM
Hi folks,
The information maybe already on the site but i will give you the info again.
I have had a fault with my parking sensors and whilst scouring the net for info i discovered the best way to test the sensors. As you all know there are 4 front and 4 rear sensors and any one or more could be faulty.
So switch your ignition to position 2 but do not start the vehicle and put it into reverse. Go around the vehicle and touch each sensor and put your ear down to it. Each sensor that is working will vibrate slightly, but a more noticeable clicking noise will come from it if it is working ok. The faulty sensor will be dead, no sound or clicking.
Bad news is my front left is dead. And as you prbably know one faulty sensor stops the whole system working.
gr8 help m8,
I have this pdc problem and i check all the sensors, they all vibrate slightly so all of them are good.
Can anyone help me on this prob they are not working.
before i hit the bumper
Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Originally Posted by chr9984' post='640712' date='Aug 6 2008, 09:29 AM
gr8 help m8,
I have this pdc problem and i check all the sensors, they all vibrate slightly so all of them are good.
Can anyone help me on this prob they are not working.
before i hit the bumper

I know I mine the PDC controll module, located in the trunk in the spare tire compartment, went bad and needed to be replaced. Maybe the same thing?

Good luck
Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

My front left PDC started to work intermittently recently too.
A couple of squirts of WD40 directly onto the sensor surface did help it, for a bit at least. This is a good tip - as WD40 is specifically formulated to repel water and that's what I think usually kills these sensors.
I also checked out the control unit (under the boot/trunk floor) and associated cables/connectors.

In the end I got the dealer to change it - I think it was about ?100 inc.vat and fitting. Not sure if it needed painting or if it comes pre-painted.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

If you have a sensor go duff, the control unit will know which one, and so it will still leave the other end working. i.e. if you have a rear sensor go, then the front ones will still work and display as usual.
If you have to replace a sensor, it will come pre-painted from BMW - BMW doesn't allow its dealers to paint them. I had one replaced under warranty, and was quoted 4 weeks delivery, but they got one after a week - they wanted another 2 weeks to get my car in to replace it!! I took the sensor and replaced it on the dealers forecourt in a couple of minutes!!

Mike