E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is this faulty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are my Auto wash/ wipers or rain sensor faulty?

If I turn on the auto wipers it lights up green... but nothing happens in the rain...

If I manually tun on the wipers they are fine working as normal and speed dependant wiping also works...

My problem is if I want intermittent wiping it wont work. If I manually turn on the wipers and then press auto wipe it stops. (Its driving me mad when all I want is intermittent wiping)

Is this a faulty rain sensors ? is there a way of resetting it or is it a dealer visit?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

I am not too sure any more since i dont have the e60 but i think thats correct the sensor might not be reading correctly or... on your wipers theres a piece that can move up and down for normal to fast speed of wipers try putting that back up to slow and spray your car with a hose if not then it could be the function but its not to big of a deal is it? i didnt like the auto wipe it always went too fast when it was drizzling like as if it was down pouring
Old 04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by jay77
Are my Auto wash/ wipers or rain sensor faulty?

If I turn on the auto wipers it lights up green... but nothing happens in the rain...

If I manually tun on the wipers they are fine working as normal and speed dependant wiping also works...

My problem is if I want intermittent wiping it wont work. If I manually turn on the wipers and then press auto wipe it stops. (Its driving me mad when all I want is intermittent wiping)

Is this a faulty rain sensors ? is there a way of resetting it or is it a dealer visit?
I would say it is faulty. It was just drizzling here today and all I did was push in on the auto wipers and they started to do their thing. I know there is a sensor by the rear view mirror, but I don't know how it works.

Good Luck.

John
Old 04-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

When the rain sensor button is pushed, the green light should come on AND the wipers should do one swipe. If not, I would say the rain sensor is not functioning correctly. Also move the sensitivity wheel on the stalk. It could be set too low and the wipers may not function correctly.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Check the fuse in the boot in the r/hand side- look in toolkit lid to see which one, I had similar problem and the fuse had gone
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
I am not too sure any more since i dont have the e60 but i think thats correct the sensor might not be reading correctly or... on your wipers theres a piece that can move up and down for normal to fast speed of wipers try putting that back up to slow and spray your car with a hose if not then it could be the function but its not to big of a deal is it? i didnt like the auto wipe it always went too fast when it was drizzling like as if it was down pouring
lol its not a big deal more annoying in light drizzle.. if i had intermittent wipers on the first push up on the stalk I would never use this feature... but I was told by the dealer this is how the e60 works i.e. intermittent wipe is the autowipe function....

Originally Posted by Krisbiker2
Check the fuse in the boot in the r/hand side- look in toolkit lid to see which one, I had similar problem and the fuse had gone
Cheers will have a look, the light does come on though? But I'll check the fuse... (sorry stupid question is this a separate fuse from the ones in the glove box?)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
When the rain sensor button is pushed, the green light should come on AND the wipers should do one swipe. If not, I would say the rain sensor is not functioning correctly. Also move the sensitivity wheel on the stalk. It could be set too low and the wipers may not function correctly.

hmmmm seem like it could be faulty mine doesn't wipe once if I press the button..

Originally Posted by JohnB75
I would say it is faulty. It was just drizzling here today and all I did was push in on the auto wipers and they started to do their thing. I know there is a sensor by the rear view mirror, but I don't know how it works.

Good Luck.

John
Thanks John
Looks like its faulty or a fuse as suggested by krisbiker will check the fuse else a trip to the dealers is going to be needed as mine doesnt wipe once when you press the button, it just lights green
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Has the windshield been replaced or is it the original one?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JBU2010
Has the windshield been replaced or is it the original one?
Not that Im aware of... it worked when we got the car 6 months ago.

Ive also checked the fuses in the boot which is fine..... I will have to take it in to get checked I guess
Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Jay77- did you find the problem?

Quick Reply: is this faulty?