E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Faults & Design Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Tim530

I went in to have my daytime running lights turned off which requires a computer change but in doing this I think they turned my active headlights off as I don't see them moving at night when turning corners anymore... What a pain.

When I have time to take it to the dealer I will advise if this is the case. Just be aware of this if your going in for any program changes.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Damn mine is in the shop again for the passenger air bag and seat belt tensioner, they kept it for 4 days about 2weeks ago and now they have to keep it over night for another reprograming and they admit of a recall this time . I told them i apreciate the hospitaliy but i would like to drive my car for more than a week at a time 2100 miles and been in the shop 3 times for this and the idrive screen not working. They gave me a 2000 avalon nice but just does not compart to me 6 speed 530
Old 12-09-2003, 06:53 PM
becoming skeptical

I'm beginning to get the picture that this car is an electronics and computer nightmare.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Members

what was wrong with the passenger air bag?

early production is always gonna give problems, but the cars been out for 6 months already. i think nearly all the problems have already been resolved by now. i had no problems at all with my november production
Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 AM
Members

More on windscreen washers.
I've also just noticed that they have deleted the intensive screen wash function. However, this has been replaced.......by a warning in the user manual not to activate the screenwash unless you are certain that the fluid will not freeze as it hits the screen! Thank you BMW. I can see why the press launch was in Southern Europe.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:40 AM
jayeshp

I got my car 1 week ago, so far no problems at all(touch wood). From what im hearing from this board an others early models have had issues but recent ones are perfectly OK.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Members

Did not have the significant issues the others seem to have. Did need two software upgrades for the radio static and the driver's window that would not go up on auto-up feature. Guess what, the last one fixed the window but brought the static back. Back to the dealer again.

Had one active steering failure but the upgrade seems to have also fixed that.

Regarding the sunroof closing, they told me that although the manual states it will close after the key is turned off (like the E39), every E60 they had on the lot does not like mine. Definitely an oversight.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!
Thumbs up

I have a RHD version with active steering...
have any of you noticed subtle "clucking" noise on the left hand (passenger) side for right hand drive version? The noise is audible when turning the steering wheel closer to lock position. The sound is pretty repeatable.
Is this normal and due to active steering valve actuation noise?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Zag,

Probably so. I don't have my E60 yet, but even when turning the steering wheel all the way over to either lock position on my old 3-series, I would get a fluctuation of battery power. Those coils hold a lot of energy and when fully energized, they require a lot of current. The sound could be due to ripple in current through the inductor/actuator, or it could just be a system function. Think of ABS or Traction, they all make a sound when turning the various solenoids on and off, but the idea is to make this as quiet as possible. And BMW has most likely run audible noise tests and they either know about the problem and don't have a fix yet, or felt it was acceptable.

Don't you guys/gals ever wish we could just speak directly to the engineering team that designed a certain feature so that we could get direct answers to our questions?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Members

My 530i was an October production and not 1 problem.
I sprayed the washers a dozen times tonight come back from NYC.
The spray is a little too low when the car is not moving, however when I sprayed while driving it fully covered the whole windshield...

Quick Reply: Faults & Design Issues