E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Faults & Design Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Guest_Tony

My E60 525 is great apart from a number of issues that I am not sure if they are faults or not (nor is my dealer!).
1) The windscreen washers only hit 25% up the windscreen and therefore the upper part of the screen is unwashed and streaky. The dealer says they are unalterable and it is a known defect on all current BMW's but BMW wont/cant fix.
2) When activating my Bluetooth phone via the steering wheel buutton the "beep" is loud when the radiois on but silent when the radio is off.
3) My "busines radio" does not switch stations when the strength reduces and does not switch to traffic reports but merely causes the current station to stutter. The station names do not appear on the main memory setting screen.
4) The auto-headlights are too sensitive and are often on in strong sunlight but sometimes do not come on dull conditions. Once on in sunlight they do not switch off until the ignition is turned off.
5) When descending a long hill the auto-gearbox sometimes suddenly and unnecessarily changes down dangerously without apparent reason straight from 6th gear to 2nd or 3rd gear.
6) The cup holders in the standard rear arm rest are very unsightly and require a cover flap. This is a design error and the rest looks incomplete.

Please can anyone give any advise or information on these items as my dealer has no knowledge and shows no interest. He sees none of them as requiring attention
Old 12-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're experiencing the same problem with the washers, it also seems that the washer fluid is emptied very quick. We've had to refill twice after 3000km - and very little use of the fluid/washers.

-paasan
Old 12-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Do the both of you have the cold package. You may be spraying the headlights each time you spray the windshield. I believe the CTS works this way, and I have yet to see a headlight washer button in the E60.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Members

The headlights have a programing change in a recent software update.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:07 AM
Guest_Tony

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Dec 8 2003, 06:38 PM
Do the both of you have the cold package. You may be spraying the headlights each time you spray the windshield. I believe the CTS works this way, and I have yet to see a headlight washer button in the E60.
No I don't have headlight washers - just inaccurate and apparently unalterable screen washers.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:09 AM
Guest_Tony

Originally Posted by Jewels530i' date='Dec 8 2003, 07:46 PM
The headlights have a programing change in a recent software update.
I keep seeing references here to software updates. What are these, why is my dealer apparently unaware of them and where can I find a schedule of them to see if they are applicable to my model?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Members

Re windscreen washers - aaaargh!!!!!! I only really started using mine a couple of days ago when they salted the roads, and as you say, the washers only come about a third of the way up the screen. I assumed I would just need to adjust the jets with a pin, but after reading your post, I went out to take a look - there's nothing there to adjust, just a slot. Just to make things perfect, as usual BMW have not refitted the wipers for RHD, so whereas the left side of the screen is at least minimally acceptable, the right side is completely unwashed in the area that you look out of. This is potentially disastrous. Am I supposed to keep a spray in the car, and stick my arm out the window when visibility gets too bad.
My only hope is that you can adjust the jets from under the bonnet - haven't had a chance to check yet.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Members

you'd think they would have caught this major oversight with their "500 car, 4 month testing" prior to start of production.

everyone please call your dealer and complain about it
Old 12-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Members

The dealer is not unaware of them. It takes a tech the better part of a day to update your software. Here in the states most dealers only have a few techs or in my case one tech that is trained up on the new five. Typically they send their best techs first to help train up those that follow. Thats time he could be making the dealer money. You have to go to your dealer and tell him your car is broke and you want to make an appointment to get it fixed. Be nice, be firm. There have been several software updates since the car was released. Issues that I know have been addressed are overactive auto headlights, stereo volume and static, sunroof not closing when car is locked, false faulty air bag warning, intermittent active steering failure, and idrive reverting back to German when car is shut off. My understand is there have been dozens of issues addressed.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:38 AM

I guess their 500 car test was done over the summer when no one uses window washers, It's amazing how someone can spend the kind of money involved in a 500 car test then forget to send some to a country where's it currently winter

Quick Reply: Faults & Design Issues