E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fault in passenger-restraint system message

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.
Default Fault in passenger-restraint system message

Hello, while coming home from work today this message appeared on the I-Drive, "Fault in passenger-retraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt." Has anyone experienced this before and if so how was it fixed? Thank you.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

There are several components that can contribute to that error (seat mat sensors, battery safety terminal BST cable fault, etc)

Only way to know for sure is to read the diagnostic codes from the car. If the fault points to the seat mat sensor, there is a recall for that and the dealer will replace for free. If the fault is with any other part, recall doesn't cover other parts.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Originally Posted by pcy
There are several components that can contribute to that error (seat mat sensors, battery safety terminal BST cable fault, etc)

Only way to know for sure is to read the diagnostic codes from the car. If the fault points to the seat mat sensor, there is a recall for that and the dealer will replace for free. If the fault is with any other part, recall doesn't cover other parts.

Thank you. Is there a way I can read the diagnostic code myself or is that something I have to take to the dealer to see? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60

Originally Posted by Formula1
Thank you. Is there a way I can read the diagnostic code myself or is that something I have to take to the dealer to see? Thanks.

bmw uses several programs to diagnose the various computer systems,,, the most common programs online are inpa/ncs expert,,, inpa is used for diagnostic and ncs expert is for coding/ a whole nother subject lol.... inpa is pretty easy to use and u can get the cable and cd with the software on ebay for about 30 bucks.... i have the same issue and its telling me that there is (a voltage of reserve energy 93f9) pretty much the connector for the saftey gateway module (sgm) need to be cleaned or or the sgm needs to b replaced..... let me know if you have anymore questions
Old 11-27-2013, 02:13 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i with Navigation and HUD!

Hey Im actually having the same issue on my 04 530i. I was driving and the passenger restraint error came up on my idrive and srs and passenger belt warning illuminated on my guage cluster. I made an appointment to have the recall for the seat mat taken care of and they also told me that there was a recall on a battery cable. After the work was completed i was told that the safety battery cable needed to be replaced and was not part of the recall. Im left with all the same warnings i started off with.

So im assuming the battery safety cable is what everyone on here calls the battery safety terminal(BST), right? I went over to the parts dept to get a price on part # 61-12-6-929-324 and they came up with a wopping $419.95.

They suspected that my car had been in an accident, but i took a look at the cable and the filament is still intact and not blown. Wouldn't the car not be able to start if the BST was the culprit? Does this cable really need to be replaced or am i just being taken for a ride?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Titanium

Hey guys great news for all of you having that seat belt problem my 06 530xi passenger restraint light came on the other day i thought it was cause my girlfriend put a baby seat in the car the wrong way and it was just tripping well nevertheless after she got out and the baby got out the code was still there i was like really bmw wtf so i researched a little more and come to find out BMW HAS A RECALL ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR issue with the sensor in the passenger seat everything is covered in this recall for it 500 dollar fix with a free loaner better take up on it and its good till 2015 call your dealer and set it up good luck
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

As PCY said, there are SEVERAL things that can cause this light to illuminate. It is not always the mat or the BST, the belt..., although those are common, just don't get your hopes up expecting the repair to be covered under warranty and then have your SA present you with a nice little bill because the failed part is not. The cost of these repairs are not cheap and they vary quite a bit between each of them. So if you are tight on funds, perhaps you should locate some one with the BMW software that can check to see which codes are visible. Then you will have an idea, because it really SUX to go to the Stealership and pay 150.00 and still walk away with the car not repaired. Everyone one that owns a BMW should invest in the software. It can be obtained from many sources and will pay for itself the first time you use it. As a foot note, I also heard that not all mats are covered under the recall, just not sure why. I don't like mentioning the last option because of safety, but if you do it, you are responsible for your own actions. There is a way to code out the warning light without repairing the car. You can find it with a little searching here.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 AM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

^ +1.

Seat mat sensor is only covered for specific range of VIN numbers. Any BMW dealer can tell you if your car is within that range. Assuming the problem is with the seat mat sensor AND your car VIN is within that range, then you are covered under recall.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the same problem, for me it turned out to be the safety gateway module. A $1500 fix from the dealer.

Although i have read that having a bad battery can trip these as well, so check your battery if its bad replace it and see if that solves the problem, for some people it did.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530 I
Question ABS Passenger Seat Belt

Can anyone send me the actual recall notice for the recall E60 2004 BMW530I

Quick Reply: Fault in passenger-restraint system message