E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

FALSE FTM Alert

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the car give you a false flat tire alert? I'm asking b/c it has happened to me before and I just reset the pressure than it was fine until this morning. It has been maybe 3 weeks since the first time it gave me the alert.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jorode60' post='436923' date='Jun 18 2007, 02:16 PM
Can the car give you a false flat tire alert?
All sensors can false.

ABC
Old 06-18-2007, 05:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='436924' date='Jun 18 2007, 08:19 AM
All sensors can false.

ABC

Hmmm..well that's not good. What happens if I' just blow it off like another false alert next time and the tire blows with me and my family in it. Will The run-flats still hold psi when flat, i guess a manual reading would have to be done.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jorode60' post='436933' date='Jun 18 2007, 02:26 PM
What happens if I' just blow it off like another false alert next time and the tire blows with me and my family in it. Will The run-flats still hold psi when flat
I would never ignore a warning.

Run flats can run at zero pressure using sidewall strength - but only at limited speed for a limited distance. IIRC 50 mph for about 50 miles or so. I suggest you check.

ABC
Old 06-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

First, read the manual concerning the run-flats. It is safe to continue driving on them after going "flat". They do not "hold psi when flat", but the sidewalls are extra stiff and are designed to maintain enough support to continue driving until reaching a safe stopping point. Hence, the term "run flat".

Second, the FTM does sometimes false alarm. I have experienced both a valid alarm and a false alarm in my e60. After reaching a safe stopping point, you should check all four tire pressures to determine which, if any, tire is down. The FTM alerted on me when one tire was down about 7 psi from the rest. If all tires are still normal, just reset the FTM and press on.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yes, check all four tires. In the FTM system (I assume it is FTM and TPM, two different systems) you can get a warning even if the tire still has pressure. As SilberGrauE60 points out, all it takes for one of the tires to have lower pressure than the rest and that will get you the warning. I recently had a very slow leak because of a nail in my tire and even though that tire had 27 lbs of pressure, the differnce with the other three tires at around 36 lbs was enough to set off the warning.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='436937' date='Jun 18 2007, 08:37 AM
First, read the manual concerning the run-flats. It is safe to continue driving on them after going "flat". They do not "hold psi when flat", but the sidewalls are extra stiff and are designed to maintain enough support to continue driving until reaching a safe stopping point. Hence, the term "run flat".

Second, the FTM does sometimes false alarm. I have experienced both a valid alarm and a false alarm in my e60. After reaching a safe stopping point, you should check all four tire pressures to determine which, if any, tire is down. The FTM alerted on me when one tire was down about 7 psi from the rest. If all tires are still normal, just reset the FTM and press on.

Did you have to replace that tire?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by jorode60' post='436949' date='Jun 18 2007, 08:18 AM
Did you have to replace that tire?
No, I determined the tire pressure was down due to a screw in the tread and I had the tire repaired at an independent shop. You must make sure the tire shop can handle run-flats, though. The extra stiffness of the sidewalls requires special equipment/technique to remove and remount on the rims. Also, the shop inspected the sidewall for any restriction on repairing the tire. Apparently the Dunlops do not have any restrictions printed, though some brands do. Of course, BMW does not recommend repairs on run flats in any situation.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='437060' date='Jun 18 2007, 02:06 PM
No, I determined the tire pressure was down due to a screw in the tread and I had the tire repaired at an independent shop. You must make sure the tire shop can handle run-flats, though. The extra stiffness of the sidewalls requires special equipment/technique to remove and remount on the rims. Also, the shop inspected the sidewall for any restriction on repairing the tire. Apparently the Dunlops do not have any restrictions printed, though some brands do. Of course, BMW does not recommend repairs on run flats in any situation.

This is good info to know..thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jorode60' post='436923' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:16 AM
Can the car give you a false flat tire alert? I'm asking b/c it has happened to me before and I just reset the pressure than it was fine until this morning. It has been maybe 3 weeks since the first time it gave me the alert.

Thanks

Same with me..but when I took the car to the dealer, about two weeks after the warning, they told me "you have un-invited visitor--a nice nail in my tire'

Quick Reply: FALSE FTM Alert