E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

False Fault warnings

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:11 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 5 Series 330 D M sport
Angry False Fault warnings

Hi there,

My E60 has started to kick out a series of false/incorrect fault warning lights and messages.
It started with the drivers window anti trap function.I get various occasional faulty bulb messages. Ocassional flat tyre warnings. My Seat belt-Air bag warning is now permanantlly lit, and now apparently my PDC sensors are faulty!

Is there anything that could cause these faults overall? as the individual fault messages are incorrect (E>G tyre pressure fine/bulbs working etc)

Read possibly wiring loom or battery/alternator, any suggestions or help would be appreciated thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

When was the last time you changed your battery. have it checked then the alternator. is there water leaking into the car. if you park under trees that have leaves or pine falling your drains could be clogged getting water into the car. Check under the seats for water or the trunk. you will find your problem from one of the three i mentioned if nothing was done to the car
Old 11-12-2015, 02:18 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I can give one little additional information for you to consider.
I recently repaired a guys transmission and he had an anti trap door warning and a rear left number plate light not working warning yet they were both working.

What the problem was in the end was that the car was fitted with LED interior and number plate lights and the computer was noticing the difference in the power drop and so the warning lights.

All I needed to do was change the two lower door access lights to a normal globe and the anti trap warning went.
I also put a resistor inline for the two rear number plate lights and the warning went off as well.

I dont know if your car is fitted with LED lights or not but something to check.
(Oh and the transmission worked perfect after I reconditioned the Valve body and new solenoids)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5 Series 330 D M sport

Originally Posted by E60Japanese
I can give one little additional information for you to consider.
I recently repaired a guys transmission and he had an anti trap door warning and a rear left number plate light not working warning yet they were both working.

What the problem was in the end was that the car was fitted with LED interior and number plate lights and the computer was noticing the difference in the power drop and so the warning lights.

All I needed to do was change the two lower door access lights to a normal globe and the anti trap warning went.
I also put a resistor inline for the two rear number plate lights and the warning went off as well.

I dont know if your car is fitted with LED lights or not but something to check.
(Oh and the transmission worked perfect after I reconditioned the Valve body and new solenoids)
Thanks for the information. I'll look at changing the battery first as it seems the easiest fix. I've also purchased a seat occupancy mat sensor bypass just in case.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i X-drive 6MT M-Sport

Originally Posted by chrisoncepara
Thanks for the information. I'll look at changing the battery first as it seems the easiest fix. I've also purchased a seat occupancy mat sensor bypass just in case.
I just changed my battery and am getting tons of false codes. Read a lot that registering the battery was BS but it appears that it can cause a lot of issues. I ordered sw and cable to take care of registration but the past week has shown lots of false codes in addition to things like locks not working and Windows inoperable!

If you plan on changing battery, be prepared to register it - whether by yourself or at a shop
Old 11-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

When you buy a battery you should get the same size battery all ready in the car. You will avoid registering the battery. Once you get the new battery the system will have to be reset so it knows yo have a new one or else it will over charge it (which is only a click of a button). You only have to register a new battery if it does not have the same specs as the old one. Registering is done on a different program and a few steps to complete. Always remember wen buying a battery you want to purchase a battery with the same specs to avoid programming if you lack the tools necessary to do it.