E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Factory Stereo and MP3 Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I am new to this forum and new to the BMW 2004 5 series. The last few days I think I have looked through hundreds of messages here looking for a solution to my "problem." I have a large MP3 collection and like burning custom cds and listening to them in the car. The challenges:
1. As many have pointed out, the factory stereo does not support mp3 cds and there is conflicting info on when and if it will ever be supported through a software upgrade. So I am not sure I am willing to wait for this..
2. I could buy an Ipod or similar device and use a FM transmitter. The sound is not good and I like driving my car to its limit - so if I have to fiddle with the device to change settings -- well ...
3. I could buy the ipod and wait for Apple/BMW to provide the integration module for the 5 series - but they don't even display the title of the songs in the cars they do support.
4. I could work with this company - seems cheaper and a few more improvements to the apple/bmw solution and ofcourse it works on the bmw 5 now (i think). See
http://www.carplayer.com/. But still no display of the titles.
5. I did sign up on the waiting list of the company that was recommended by somebody on this forum - but not sure when they will have a product
(also I don't really like Apple and would prefer to avoid the ipod - if I have to buy a portable device I would prefer the rio devices or anything that is compatible with microsoft media player)
6. I could replace the factory stereo with one of those new alpine or pioneer units. Alpine even has its own ipod integration solution - think that shows the display text - and of course most aftermarket stereos will do mp3 cds. This option seems to do all I want. Except I have not found a dealer who has experience working with the idrive on a 2004 5. Also not sure if that will mess up the i-drive. I like the i-drive..

So any suggestions? I am in South Jersey. Any suggestions to after market stereo installers who know the 2004 5 series?

Thanks for your help

Munir
Old 09-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard ! please some pics of your new ride . as for the mp3, i think the next software update will solve this problem...hopefully .
Old 09-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Members

Your best bet is to wait for the update which will allow MP3 playback. It is confirmed as there has been press releases in Europe which state MP3 compatibility in the new E60s. I just hope that they don't make us pay for this update.

If you're impatient, then get an iPod and an iTrip. That's what I did.

Also, aftermarket head units are not a possibility because of the way the audio is intergrated into iDrive. I've read a post in this forum about someone installing a Pioneer AVIC-N1 unit in a non-NAV E60 to provide navigation but it didn't mention if it was able to provide sound as well.

Hope it all goes well!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard!

The software update will come. So I would wait for it...

BTW, I noticed that on the 1series there is a power supply in the center console (between the two front seats) and right next to it an AUX input...
Old 09-22-2004, 02:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545

I read somewhere in my manual, that my car has mp3 playback, I just bought on saturday. Are they lying to me? lol havent had a chance to test it yet, no burned mp3 discs lying around.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Members

I know how you feel. You read the manual and a glimmer of hope and anticipation dawns upon you. But no... NO MP3 playback just yet. Hopefully in 6 months time. Last I heard from this forum is MARCH 2005.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

March 2005....a long time to wait.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

That is a long time to wait. The 2 most common desires as far as I can tell:

1. MP3 playback
2. Bluetooth Phone Connectivity

I am desperately awaiting both. I also hope that they will allow the DVD player to play MP3s as well since you can get many more on the DVD.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

sorry all,

please see my posts regarding this.

BMWNA: no mp3, no bluetooth for 2004 e60, and certainly not my 545i. definitive answer.

my response regarding fm modulator: find the NanoFM transmitter and suck it up. that's what I'll be doing next weekend, and it sucks to see wires running around. $58k, and still no mp3 or auxliary line in. atrocious. atrocious. atrocious.

as for bluetooth: get a Parrot DriveBlue, route microphone to your visor.

that's all she wrote about these two most common desires.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Check out the Parrot DriveBlue here<---.

If you have the smoking package, isn't there a plug for a cigarette lighter by the shift lever where this would work?

Quick Reply: Factory Stereo and MP3 Challenge