E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

F***! I am tried of this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jun 5 2005, 07:48 AM
That cannot be a software issue.? Otherwise many more of our members would be reporting problems and we could trace it's fix.? This is going to be an electomechanical problem.? And that could cover a wide range of issues, some of which already suggested.? Could be sensor, lack of shielding of sensor, bad receiver, weak latch(s).? Some are far more likely than others.? The dealer really needs to jump in there and get working on this. You should not have to defend yourself on this matter.? Hell it's a safety matter.
[snapback]136345[/snapback]
I don't know about it NOT being software? It happened to me SEVERAL (probably 5 or 6) times prior to a software upgrade and I have had no problems since. At first, I thought I was triggering the key fob, but I reported it to my dealer who upgraded my software and it hasn't happened again. Ruf has 16.2 which is what I currently have, so I agree in his case it may be mechanical.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

I think it is software. Every time the trunk opened by itself the keys were laying on the counter (buttons absolutely not being pressed). My only other thought is that the frequency of the trunk is too common and being triggered by other devices.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Jun 5 2005, 06:31 PM
I think it is software.? Every time the trunk opened by itself the keys were laying on the counter (buttons absolutely not being pressed).? My only other thought is that the frequency of the trunk is too common and being triggered by other devices.
[snapback]136415[/snapback]
The keys uses 868 MHz, just like everything else does. At least in Europe is 868. I think the yank version will be 900MHz. Tells you on the back of the key anyway.

BMW must use a security chip, and be digitally encoded. They all do. And the code changes every use, so people can't snoop the transmission and simply copy it.

Personally, I'm unhappy that you CAN open the boot without first unlocking the car. Again, this is another thing that iDrive would be ideal for. A setting so you can disable remote boot release.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jun 5 2005, 10:14 AM
The keys uses 868 MHz, just like everything else does. At least in Europe is 868. I think the yank version will be 900MHz. Tells you on the back of the key anyway.

BMW must use a security chip, and be digitally encoded. They all do. And the code changes every use, so people can't snoop the transmission and simply copy it.

Personally, I'm unhappy that you CAN open the boot without first unlocking the car. Again, this is another thing that iDrive would be ideal for. A setting so you can disable remote boot release.
[snapback]136428[/snapback]

Hahaha whos the yank version? We are 315Mhz here in the states.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 AM
RAI
Members

The very first thing you need to do is to make sure it's not being caused by inadvertent pushes on the car key. This can occur while the key is in your pocket. My suggestion is to take the key completely out of your pocket and keep it in a drawer or some like place, as a test to see if this fixes the problem or not.

If it doesn't fix the problem, then I think you've got a bad module. I had this exact same problem myself. It started off with the trunk opening on its own, exactly as you have experienced. Then, I started getting false alarms with the car's burglar alarm when the car was locked. Then, the false alarms became more frequent. Then, I started getting warning messages of "High Battery Drain" in my dashboard. The dealer diagnosed the whole thing as a bad module that controls the alarm. Apparently this module resides behind the rear bumper, because the repair notes say they had to remove the rear bomper cover to get at it. Anyway, this fixed it and I haven't had any of these problems since.

Good luck!!

-RAI
Old 06-06-2005, 07:53 AM
RAI
Members

P.S. If needed, I can give you the particulars of what my service order says about this repair that fixed my problem (part nos., etc.).

Cheers,
RAI
Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Wow, that sucks. It's been raining a lot down here in FL. This has not happened to me (knock on wood).

I would think BMW should be responsible if any damage were to occur if this happens during bad weather.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 6speed e60

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='Jun 4 2005, 09:23 PM
If it happens after that, BMW NA is getting a nasty gram and some unwelcomed phone calls.
[snapback]136262[/snapback]
That worked for me and my issues. It's how I got a 5 in the first place.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

HEy Ruf,

Try to use your plastic valet key for a while and see if this problem persists. IF your trunk keeps opening up by itself, then you know it's not the keys fault, since you can't open the trunk with valet key. Then, you can complain to your dealer and show them that the car is the real culprit.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='Jun 5 2005, 04:23 AM
... And once while my wife was driving.
[snapback]136262[/snapback]
It actually opened while she was moving?