E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Eyebrow lights and dealers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

I have bought an 04 5 series (E60) in the UK and have noticed the orange eyebrow lights are off no matter if the side or headlights are on. Ive done a bit of reading around on the forum and a lot of people seem to be blaming the CIP software where a bug in version 23 of the software turned them off and a software update is needed. a bit more info here http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B631706g.htm

I have went to the local bmw dealers in the UK and the first didnt even know what orange lights i was talking about and the second has said that my car when build had them turned off as default and want to charge me ?90 to change a software setting to turn them on.

I was wondering if what he is saying is true or whether there is a bug in the software that is stopping my eyebrow lights from coming on? Also any experiences of getting this fixed with dealers in the UK would be appreciated as they dont seem to have clue.

some other info it it helps
-----
04 e60 525d
xexon/blue/angleeye headlights
i think CIP software version 23 (09-2006-I-510)

cheers for any help

Chris
Old 12-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chrish99' post='511324' date='Dec 28 2007, 07:59 AM
Hi guys

I have bought an 04 5 series (E60) in the UK and have noticed the orange eyebrow lights are off no matter if the side or headlights are on. Ive done a bit of reading around on the forum and a lot of people seem to be blaming the CIP software where a bug in version 23 of the software turned them off and a software update is needed. a bit more info here http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B631706g.htm

I have went to the local bmw dealers in the UK and the first didnt even know what orange lights i was talking about and the second has said that my car when build had them turned off as default and want to charge me ?90 to change a software setting to turn them on.

I was wondering if what he is saying is true or whether there is a bug in the software that is stopping my eyebrow lights from coming on? Also any experiences of getting this fixed with dealers in the UK would be appreciated as they dont seem to have clue.

-----
04 e60 525d

cheers for any help

Chris
In the States, it was a software issue. I believe it was v.23 that affected the eyebrows and that it was corrected with v.24. I've never seen anything on this forum about a default setting turning them off and this forum is pretty thorough in dealing with issues like this one. Over here, that would be justification for a no-charge software update.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree. I don't think this is a "feature" -- it's a bug!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by chrish99' post='511324' date='Dec 28 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi guys

-----
04 e60 525d

cheers for any help

Chris
Like the other members said, it's a bug. It happened to me and I had to wait for the next CIP version to come out to get it fixed (free of charge of course)

the dealer stealer is trying to pull a fast one on you.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='511371' date='Dec 28 2007, 03:42 PM
Like the other members said, it's a bug. It happened to me and I had to wait for the next CIP version to come out to get it fixed (free of charge of course)

the dealer stealer is trying to pull a fast one on you.
Hi Guys

Just a quick update, i have called into a 3rd dealer who has actually heard of the problem and has given me a technical bulletin/release number from BMW UK of 6295848-03 "Headlight Side Marker Lights not Working". Im not sure if those are available online anywhere but might be useful.

I think that dealer is pulling a fast one as ive spoke to them again and gave them the bulletin number which explains the problem and they are now refusing to it, desipte being an approved bmw dealer, the car being under the approved used car warrenty from bmw and them being willing to do it if i was paying.

anyone know the number for bmw complaints lol!
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

It is a fault, if they sold you the car they have a legal responsibility to fix it.

Demand to see the dealer principle.

Complain to BMW UK and tell them if it is not sorted you will go to trading standards.

Ultimately you have the option of going to another dealer, even if you pay for it there, you can then use the small claims court to reclaim your money plus costs from the selling dealer.

You can make such a claim online via

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/onlines.../mcol/index.htm
Old 12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chrish99' post='511377' date='Dec 28 2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys

Just a quick update, i have called into a 3rd dealer who has actually heard of the problem and has given me a technical bulletin/release number from BMW UK of 6295848-03 "Headlight Side Marker Lights not Working". Im not sure if those are available online anywhere but might be useful.

I think that dealer is pulling a fast one as ive spoke to them again and gave them the bulletin number which explains the problem and they are now refusing to it, desipte being an approved bmw dealer, the car being under the approved used car warrenty from bmw and them being willing to do it if i was paying.

anyone know the number for bmw complaints lol!
Ring BMW on 0870 5050 195

explain the situation and they will normally get onto the dealer pretty sharpish to sort it out.

I had a similar issue with Hexagon when they upgraded the firmware and didn't turn the mp3 on, spoke to bmw and htye went straight to head of cust services hexagon who sorted it out asap.

hope that helps
Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 520dA Alpine White

Hey,
I had the same bug couple of years ago (2005 ?) on my E60. It came up after a service with software update (sorry I dont know sw version). They told me it was first of a kind, and I actually believe it was as I had to wait 3 or 4 months for new sw update to arrive from Germany. Ofcourse they did it free for me, but I first had listen stupid excuses, something like you did. I also had to call bmw couple of times to speed this up, as the dealers I have experienced are lazy :thumbsdown: .
Don't give up with your dealer.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Members

Exclamation

I dunno! You want yours turned ON and I started a thread a while ago where I want mine turned OFF
Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by daven' post='511599' date='Dec 29 2007, 12:48 PM
I dunno! You want yours turned ON and I started a thread a while ago where I want mine turned OFF
lol, ive just never seen them on on my car.. you never know, i might see them on and want them turned off again haha

but another update, i called BMW (cheers papereyes for the number!) and they didnt much like what they heard and a few hours after that i got a call from the dealer who was refusing to do the job saying theyve had a change of heart and would i like to drop the car off on monday morning so a bit of a result so cheers for the advice guys!

i have been reading about addind a ipod interface thingy to the car as well. does anyone have any advice as to what i need software wise (i think ive heard of mp3 and ipod modules in the software which are seperate to the main software which i probably dont already have). Also, should these be added automatically when they do the update to fix the eyebrow issue or do i have to request it. Also, are they likely to charge for adding those extra bits or should they do it for free?

cheers,
chris

Quick Reply: Eyebrow lights and dealers