E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extreme Winter Conditions Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

Hey all,

During the month of January & February I am going to be living at a condo at a ski resort (aka on top of a mountain). They get a ton of snow obviously, but I was wondering how I can prep my car so nothing freezes, normal maintenance, and what to have in case of being stuck. Just want to be Prepared!

Note: I am storing the car in a garage, but it will be driven a lot to and from the lodge, store, etc.

Do I need to worry about any liquids inside freezing?
I need an oil change soon so what should I go with?
What things are a must have in the car?
Any other tips greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

Tire chains - many mountain roads require them (RUD Chains are great)
Gloves
Headlamp (useful when putting on chains in the dark)
Snow Bunny
Blanket
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Members

Check with the dealer to make sure your coolant is appropriate. Around here, -40 is the standard.

Make sure your washer fluid isn't just water and is actually rated for -30.

Get an oil change and make sure the dealer uses the BMW 0W30 oil, or doe it yourself with "German" Castrol 0W30 (which is the same stuff). This will ensure easy starts in the cold, without a block heater.

If your battery is over 3 years old, get it tested to ensure it will give you the cold cranking amps you need. If it's borderline, get it changed.

Other than that, make sure you have good winter tires. My current favorites, after being on Blizzaks and Goodyears the last couple times around, is the Michelin X-Ice Xi2.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
sRt
Members

Also make sure you charge the battery once in a while if you only dirve short distances every day.

Spiky winter tires will cover most of your needs, I drive the whole winter in the north part of Norway without need of chains. I use Nokian Hakkapelitta 5 on small 16"s. (225/55/16).

Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sRt
Also make sure you charge the battery once in a while if you only dirve short distances every day.

Spiky winter tires will cover most of your needs, I drive the whole winter in the north part of Norway without need of chains. I use Nokian Hakkapelitta 5 on small 16"s. (225/55/16).

Those are good points too.

If your local laws allow studded tires, then it's the best option for traction (noisy and irritating, but fantastic grip in compressed snow and ice conditions). Around here studded tires aren't legal because of the damage they cause to roads. Generally though, a good quality winter tire will be all you need if you have a set of chains you can call on in emergencies.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 523 2007 LCI 525 2002 Corvette Bigblock 1972

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R will work fine, on these gocarts with DTC (and will be allowed everywhere).
Do not use to wide ones. 225 is maximum as they shall carve down into the snow.

Oil - 5W40 works fine down to -30 degree celsius (-22 fahrenheit)
Coolant - test for right glycol mix (observ, to much will fresh earlier..)
Washer fluid - To low mix of alcohol/antifreeze, will only freeze. Nothing else happens.

Will you stay long... Install engine and coupe heater. Read my DIY guide

//Lasse
Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Another popular thing to keep in a car in the winter is a candle for that unlikely event where you are off the road, the car is off and you can't be seen easily. One candle in a closed car will actually keep you alive until rescue comes. As stated previously, a snow bunny and blanket also helps.
Also, do NOT leave any pop or water in your car that could freeze. My wife left an unopened can of Coke in the cup holder overnight. The next morning the Coke icicles had to be chipped (gently) off the headliner while the car was still cold. No damage or stains but a mess to clean up in the freezing cold. Warming the interior first just makes a bigger liquid mess.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Brent P
Those are good points too.

If your local laws allow studded tires, then it's the best option for traction (noisy and irritating, but fantastic grip in compressed snow and ice conditions). Around here studded tires aren't legal because of the damage they cause to roads. Generally though, a good quality winter tire will be all you need if you have a set of chains you can call on in emergencies.
Except that modern studded are tires are definitely not noisy or irritating .
I used to have Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's and they were fine. Now I'm on Hakkapeliitta 7's and they are even better.

- Antti -
Old 12-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Be sure to spray some bmw rubber treatment on the door seals as well so they dont risk freezing up.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Take all the necessary precautions with your battery and fluids, as everyone already mentioned, and don't worry too much about the rest...

Winter here gets pretty brutal, (lots of ice, snow, wind, and at-times, temps that reach -40F/C) and so far my e60 has been keeping up with the best of 'em!

Although I do wish studded tires were a little less "restricted" around here.. fortunately, my Dunlop s.p. wintersport m3's do the job perfectly

I can hear my e60 crying for a Californian ski resort right now.. lol..