E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extended Warranty or Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535XI

Hey Guys,

Need some advice here. Recently I bought 08 535XI with over 50k miles on. It's not CPO since it's over 50k miles.
But my dealer offered me the extended warranty through them for $4k to cover additional 3 years/ 36k miles. This warranty covers everything on the car including all the electronics.
My car has:
1. Cold weather package
2. Premium Package
3. Heads Up display
4. Navigation
5. Bluetooth
6. Ipod interface
7. Xenon Adaptive Headlight
8. Multi countour seat

So my question is, does it worth to keep the extended warranty or not for $4k to cover the next 3 years?
I think I am more worried about the electronics that on this car. I don't know how reliable are they.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hauliau
Hey Guys,

Need some advice here. Recently I bought 08 535XI with over 50k miles on. It's not CPO since it's over 50k miles.
But my dealer offered me the extended warranty through them for $4k to cover additional 3 years/ 36k miles. This warranty covers everything on the car including all the electronics.
My car has:
1. Cold weather package
2. Premium Package
3. Heads Up display
4. Navigation
5. Bluetooth
6. Ipod interface
7. Xenon Adaptive Headlight
8. Multi countour seat

So my question is, does it worth to keep the extended warranty or not for $4k to cover the next 3 years?
I think I am more worried about the electronics that on this car. I don't know how reliable are they.
Curious ... so you bought a pre-owned '08 BMW but it wasn't CPO because it had < 50K miles ?? I did a quick search on BMWUSA.com and see that there are many 535's < 50K miles that are offered as CPO. Now, I don't think this is the case but do you suppose the dealer didn't CPO the car because something wasn't up to the BMW "Standards" to CPO it? And now they are willing to sell you an insurance policy to CYA if something breaks ... and we all love BMWs but they do break :-(

BTW, here's the BMW link ... http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...fmJUzz4yYtqk4H

BTW, I think $4K for the full coverage (esp electronics) isn't too much but is probably very negotiable ....
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Members

Well I think what I understand from my dealear was, if the car is < 5 years old and < 50,000 miles then it should be considered CPO.
Since my car is about 55,000 miles now, then it won't be a CPO.
But the price of my car is way less than the one my dealer has which is a CPO, has less option, and 49,000 miles.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hauliau
Well I think what I understand from my dealear was, if the car is < 5 years old and < 50,000 miles then it should be considered CPO.
Since my car is about 55,000 miles now, then it won't be a CPO.
But the price of my car is way less than the one my dealer has which is a CPO, has less option, and 49,000 miles.
If you check out the BMWUSA site you'll find there are several '08 cars with lots of miles < 50K but it's the dealer's decision whether or not to CPO their stock. Once you add one of the BMW Premium Warranties you've achieved the same result. Don't let the dealer confuse the situation by talking BMW and then selling you an after-market insurance product. Those after-market policies (like Mercury, Paragon, etc) are readily available at steeply discounted prices - search the forum for information!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Well if this a BMW extended warranty then it is well worth the price of the admission. My friend didn't use this option when he had a chance and then he had to spend $1500 on a vacuum leak. Remember these cars are very sophisticated and you cant just take it to pep boys for repair.

In most cases you going to end up visiting the stealer-ship anyways.

So i say Go for it..........

S
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributors

just dont own an e60 out of warranty, a seat mat sensor will cost you 1600 to fix and i had one done twice
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Just to claify, cause its happened more than once in this thread, if the aligator mouth goes this way <<<< that means less than and if the aligator mouth goes this way >>>>> that means greater than. Right? Or am I losing my mind here?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I've seen several models with >50000 miles CPOd , but I was also told that 'story' before at a dealer...that if the car had more than 50k it couldn't be CPOd....not true.
But I would definitely get the warranty...and negotiate it down to the neighborhood of $2500 or so.

I just posted a topic on something similiar this week , basically asking if I should keep my 5 after warranty runs out because I'll still owe on the loan, and these things are expensive to fix!!

And for bha7176....you're correct with the 'alligator mouth' reference...but I can't clarify if you are losing your mind or not!lol
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
Just to claify, cause its happened more than once in this thread, if the aligator mouth goes this way <<<< that means less than and if the aligator mouth goes this way >>>>> that means greater than. Right? Or am I losing my mind here?
haha well i guess that depends on which side you are referring to. but for logical purposes 5>3, so 5 is greater than 3, but 3 is less than 5, so it kind of works both ways verbally
Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

What do you guys think of the Paragon Extended Warranty? Do they cover basically everything? LIke the Nav system, LCD, Heads up display, etc.?
Because I just called them and they quoted me for $3000.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty or Not