E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default Extended Warranty

Hey guys,

My brother-in-law bought a 2007 BMW X5 two years ago. Since then, a lot of repairs have been done with the extended warranty.

The current repair estimate is approximately $8,500. Because the "total" cost off all repairs have exceeded the the insurance maximum coverage, he is required to pay $1,200 out of his pocket to get it fixed. After that, any future repairs will be out of his pocket; because there is no more coverage. With that said, can he ask the insurance company to cut the check for $7,300 ($8,500 minus $1,200) and pay directly to him ? We think other shops can fix the problem for $$7,300.

Your quick feedback and advice is a appreciated.

Thank you,

Daniel
Old 02-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

You can try, but it depends on the terms of the policy. Many insurers insist that the check be made out to the repair shop to ensure that the repairs are performed. Why not get agreement with said repair shop to provide the higher estimate and then have them get the check and perform the work for the check amount?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Thanks for the quick reply, Jay!

His extended warranty is good for 25,000 miles (he has about 8,000 miles left) or until July 2017. Because the total cost of all repairs exceeds the car value or maximum coverage amount, he is required to pay out of his pocket for the difference. It's for a transfer case replacement and oil leak (oil pan?) or somewhere else.

He is waiting for the repair estimate and will ask to see if they can cut a check directly to him. If not, he will see if he can take his car to another shop and have the insurer pay them directly. I will share my knowledge as soon as I hear what they say. :-)

Originally Posted by JayArras
You can try, but it depends on the terms of the policy. Many insurers insist that the check be made out to the repair shop to ensure that the repairs are performed. Why not get agreement with said repair shop to provide the higher estimate and then have them get the check and perform the work for the check amount?

Last edited by E60I; 02-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.