E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Did you get an extended warranty offered by your dealer when you purchased the car?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:11 AM
JDN
Contributors

Not me. Incidentally, I have heard that dealers will really deal on the price of the extended warranty at closing time.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Members

What should one expect to pay? Do you recommend purchasing it at closing, or waiting until your 4 years is up?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Apr 29 2005, 08:05 AM
Did you get an extended warranty offered by your dealer when you purchased the car?
[snapback]121875[/snapback]

I did and I bought it as I figured 1st year model and I plan on keeping the car for a while.

My coverage is extended to 7 years/70K( i put way less then 10K a year on my car). I figured one HUD display or CCC would pay for it. However, I can't remeber what I paid.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

If I may add further to your question, how do dealers handle extended warranties at the end of a lease period? Are they available and how does the price compare to purchasing ext warranties at the time the car is purchased? Thx.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Well if you've leased the car, the lease should be up before the 4 yr/50,000 miles warranty is, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you are going to buy the car at the end of the lease, then maybe you'll want one, but I'm sure you can take care of that when you work with the dealer at the end of the lease. The real issue is who you are buying the extended warranty from (the dealer, but is it a BMW warranty or a 3rd party). Be carefule and read the fine print on any warranty to be sure exactly what is covered and what isn't...
Old 04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Apr 29 2005, 08:52 AM
Well if you've leased the car, the lease should be up before the 4 yr/50,000 miles warranty is, so that shouldn't be a problem.? If you are going to buy the car at the end of the lease, then maybe you'll want one, but I'm sure you can take care of that when you work with the dealer at the end of the lease.? The real issue is who you are buying the extended warranty from (the dealer, but is it a BMW warranty or a 3rd party).? Be carefule and read the fine print on any warranty to be sure exactly what is covered and what isn't...
[snapback]121918[/snapback]
Good point!

The extended warranty you purchase, I believe, is not the same as the extended warranty offered on a CPO vehicle by BMW - which is much like the new vehicle warranty.

Everything I have read/heard is that the extended warranties are money makers for the dealers. Like anything, this may not be the case if your Idrive display takes a dump.

I for one, would be very interested in what you find out by reading the details.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 29 2005, 11:01 AM
Everything I have read/heard is that the extended warranties are money makers for the dealers.? Like anything, this may not be the case if your Idrive display takes a dump.
[snapback]121919[/snapback]
Very true, they historically have been big money makers, but you are correct, in that one failed TCU module could easily cover the cost of the warranty. But again, read the fine print and make sure it doesn't just cover the engine and drive train, so that a failed TCU is not covered...
Old 04-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Apr 29 2005, 08:52 AM
Well if you've leased the car, the lease should be up before the 4 yr/50,000 miles warranty is, so that shouldn't be a problem.? If you are going to buy the car at the end of the lease, then maybe you'll want one, but I'm sure you can take care of that when you work with the dealer at the end of the lease.? The real issue is who you are buying the extended warranty from (the dealer, but is it a BMW warranty or a 3rd party).? Be carefule and read the fine print on any warranty to be sure exactly what is covered and what isn't...
[snapback]121918[/snapback]
Yes, I guess I'll ask the dealer today, but my question is more how does the pricing and coverage differ if I were to buy the car today and buy the warranty today vs. leasing today and buying the warranty in three years when the lease is up and I exercise the purchase option?

In my opinion, on high end German cars, the extended warranty is a VERY smart thing to do.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Apr 29 2005, 11:50 AM
Yes, I guess I'll ask the dealer today, but my question is more how does the pricing and coverage differ if I were to buy the car today and buy the warranty today vs. leasing today and buying the warranty in three years when the lease is up and I exercise the purchase option?

In my opinion, on high end German cars, the extended warranty is a VERY smart thing to do.
[snapback]121927[/snapback]
Sorry, didn't catch your question. Don't know I'm afraid, but I don't think there's a huge difference in price. I agree about the German cars. I certainly plan on getting the extended warranty later, but as my car is just one year old now, I'll wait a while before buying it.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty