E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Explain DTC

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant understand the purpose of the DTC button by the gear shifter. According to what I understand by reading the manual, the E60 starts up with all saftey features turned on. The DTC button turns off some of the saftey features or turns them on?

What do you use to drive on slick rain roads or icy roads? Do you hit the DTC button or leave it alone?

I know if you hold the DTC button down for 10 seconds all saftey features are turned off.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

1. DSC on--DSC on, and DTC off
2. DTC on--DSC less pronounced. DTC on allows more wheel spin than setting 1 (virtually none)
3. Both off--Theoretically, no DSC or DTC. But, that's not the way it works on my car after 20.01.00. I have lingering and demonstrable, to my satisfaction, effects of both.

Setting 2 is supposed to allow a bit more wheel spin as an aid to getting traction under slippery conditions.

On high speed roads and in the rain, I use 1. Snow or ice, then I'd use 2. Otherwise, I always use 3.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Look at it this way.

Theres DSC on and DSC on partially and DSC off. 3 options.

DSC on is normal when you start your car up.

DTC on is basically DSC partially off... which allows for some wheel spin

and thers DSC Off when you hold the DTC button for more than 3 seconds.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by TV550' post='261694' date='Mar 29 2006, 03:27 AM
I cant understand the purpose of the DTC button by the gear shifter. According to what I understand by reading the manual, the E60 starts up with all saftey features turned on. The DTC button turns off some of the saftey features or turns them on?

What do you use to drive on slick rain roads or icy roads? Do you hit the DTC button or leave it alone?

I know if you hold the DTC button down for 10 seconds all saftey features are turned off.
Agreed - very confusing and the one button does all is not good if you dont regularly use the different modes. Maybe a voice confirmation would be a good idea "traction control off" Traction control on" etc

Personally i leave the setting alone and on the odd couple of days that we get snow the beemer stays at home and i borrow my wifes FWD merc.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='261719' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:32 PM
Look at it this way.

Theres DSC on and DSC on partially and DSC off. 3 options.

DSC on is normal when you start your car up.

DTC on is basically DSC partially off... which allows for some wheel spin

and thers DSC Off when you hold the DTC button for more than 3 seconds.
So if I want a little bit of a oversteer slide coming out of corners, should I use DSC partially off (DTC on)?
I want to have some fun first, and only want the system to intervene as a last resort. Similar to M Track Mode in the E46 M3 Competition Pack or Race Mode on the Manettino on the Ferrari F430...

Or is DSC partially off (DTC on) only effective as a safety feature in slick conditions?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='261762' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:21 AM
So if I want a little bit of a oversteer slide coming out of corners, should I use DSC partially off (DTC on)?
I want to have some fun first, and only want the system to intervene as a last resort. Similar to M Track Mode in the E46 M3 Competition Pack or Race Mode on the Manettino on the Ferrari F430...

Or is DSC partially off (DTC on) only effective as a safety feature in slick conditions?
You wish exactly what i wished for the DTC. But unfortunatley it's entirely different. With DTC on you get minour oversteer and if you keep pushing it the system won't allow you to. I would have liked the system you describe as the DTC.
Also i have noticed in some way that if you brake torque (step) with DTC on, and release at around 2000 rpm since it will not alaow you to go further since it will start to wheelspin and thuse restricting it, it will act like some sort of launch control. After all that is a TRACTION CONTROL system. How fast are you versus dsc off i can't say! I'd like to but i don't have the proper tools to time both runs.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:13 AM
Senior Members

dtc is for loose surfaces (gravel and so on) where it it advisable to have some wheelspin... simple as that. Its just as restricive as DSC....

It is good gor a start, but you need to remember that after 50km/h the full DSC kicks in
Old 03-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='261762' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:21 PM

No sorry... the allowing for a little slide with DTC on is only for straight line. Basically for snow. once you throw in some Yaw into it... DSC will kick in even with DTC on.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

On the skid pad (wet) DSC on, you cannot get either understeer or oversteer. Engine management and ABS kick in as necessary to either cut power to engine or apply brakes to wheel(s) or both as necessary to prevent the under or over steer situation. Taking DSC to full off allows either mode (under or over steer) to occur and YOU get to manage the process to gain control, or NOT

In drag launches the DSC off allows wheel spin, but I have not detected any engine intervention based on my RPM charts. I only know that DSC ON prevents me from getting my best times and no evidence of any wheel spin, but have not analyzed the RPM plots (always discarded them) to see what engine management might be doing. I assume in straight line I was not getting yaw so probably no ABS action, but not positive.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='262501' date='Mar 30 2006, 03:58 PM
In drag launches the DSC off allows wheel spin,
i have found on the 745li that this is also the case with DTC on! same for you?

Quick Reply: Explain DTC