E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Experiences with Roadside?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the most recent episode with our BMW, our clutch has begun slipping VERY badly, making going up hills nearly impossible without a running start, first gear frequently failing to engage, RPMs racing to near redline, bucking, stalling, and well, just a slipping clutch. I feel that it will fail completely soon. We have about 8,000 miles on the car. We've had the best luck with a dealer rather far away from us, and would like to use them again if possible. We called BMW about their roadside program (for when I will inevitably need to use it) to check about their policies. They informed us that roadside will only pay for 50 miles, and it's $5 per mile after that, which must be paid on the spot to the tow truck driver, in cash. It isn't related to how close to any BMW dealer you are... just that's the limit they will tow. (To explain, they don't just make you pay if you choose an alternate dealer that is further away than the closest dealer--they make you pay even if the closest dealer to you is more than 50 miles away) So, what happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and break down? You have to pay an exhorbitant rate to get your car to the dealer? Has anyone had experience with this yet? Was the person we talked to wrong? Were they right? If this is true, I think it is RIDICULOUS, and just another example of how BMW pretends to have customer service, but it's only a facade. Please let me know your experiences!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

SUEBMW, This is the policy, however there is a caveat to this. Most people do not carry that kind of cash around. When a tow truck driver gets out to you and you tell him where you want to go and he says it is 75 miles and will require $75, you tell him you do not have it. He will have 2 choices, leave and not coolect a penny of collect the money that BMW offers him.

I oersonally would make them tow me to wherever the closest dealer was. The reason I was broken down would be because of a problem with the vehicle. I could see if it was negligence on my part such as running out of gas or somthing, but if they provided you with a faulty vehicle they would be responsible for the towing of such vehicle.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Members

Ive used the BMW roadside assistance on many occasions. Ive never had any problems or any issues about paying. Ive had the car towed from Anaheim to San Diego once. Thats way over 100 miles.. I wasnt told a thing. And neither was I charged. I think whom ever picked up the phone when you called made a deal with the TOW TRUCK people.
Ive been using BMW roadside assistance on my Prior BMWs, since 1996... I've never had one issue like this...Im in California. I don't know if BMW Roadside assistance policy differs from state to state. But it shouldn't.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 23 2004, 10:27 PM
I oersonally would make them tow me to wherever the closest dealer was. The reason I was broken down would be because of a problem with the vehicle. I could see if it was negligence on my part such as running out of gas or somthing, but if they provided you with a faulty vehicle they would be responsible for the towing of such vehicle.

My 2 cents.
[snapback]37660[/snapback]
It would be for a faulty vehicle--I think a failed clutch qualifies <_<
Other car companies I have dealt with have a much larger range for "preferred dealers"... usually 150 miles, not 50 miles. If you break down within X# of miles from either your selling dealer or the dealer which you designate as your service facility, they will tow you to that dealer. If you break down outside of that area, they tow you to the nearest dealer and then you qualify for "trip interruption" benefits. I was shocked to find out that BMW has such a short circumferance and such a high charge for miles over. And now I'm as confused as ever, since skipper says this is policy, and rabih11 hasn't had that experience.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Members

I had to use it once and my preferred dealer was 50 miles away and no problem

But why are you going to wait for your bootiful E60 to brake down...you should just take it now
Old 09-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SLVR530I' date='Sep 24 2004, 09:00 AM
I had to use it once and my preferred dealer was 50 miles away and no problem

But why are you? going to wait for your bootiful E60 ? to brake down...you should just take it now?
[snapback]37759[/snapback]
You try getting an appointment, even with an emergency... and no loaner... I think it will break down before I can get in for the appointment (it's that bad).
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Members

I agree with Slver530i, Dont wait until the problem get to bad.. Even if you ever feel the smallest thing wrong, call in ahead of time and make that appointment. I think that BMW isn't like they use to be. A few years back, they would break an arm and leg to keep there customer happy. But today, I feel that they are so Overwhelmed with customers, that they just want people in as fast as possible and back out Zipppyy! They need to concentrate on the issues more, so we all dont keep having these reoccuring and new problems.

For Roadside assistance, I still would find out if Policy is different from state to state.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Members

rabih11

Start a new topic with pics and upgrade of your car
I tried to do a search but nothing with your upgrades

thanks
al
Old 09-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Members

My car is in service right now...I should be getting it back on Monday. Ive been wanting to get this altogether and have it posted soon. Give me a Weeks time.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

Smile

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Sep 24 2004, 09:14 AM
[quote name='SLVR530I' date='Sep 24 2004, 09:00 AM']I had to use it once and my preferred dealer was 50 miles away and no problem

But why are you? going to wait for your bootiful E60 ? to brake down...you should just take it now?
[snapback]37759[/snapback]
You try getting an appointment, even with an emergency... and no loaner... I think it will break down before I can get in for the appointment (it's that bad).
[snapback]37767[/snapback]
[/quote]

.....And, TA-DA! It's dead. :bashwall: Just lovely burnt clutch smell & lots of smoke. Nice stares from folks, too. <_< Limped home, luckily, but almost didn't make it up the driveway. As service is closed for the weekend, I'll have to sort it out Monday. This car is so bad it is getting comical. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA

Quick Reply: Experiences with Roadside?