E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Expensive to own...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I think a dealer is making a case to make money on our cars, by tell to us about bent rims, because previous generation they would say your suspension bushing worn out. When I got a car, it had vibration at 66 to 68 mph(check per cruise control), so I went got an alignment and balance and dealer told my front wheel has a bent. I didn't believe because vibration is coming from the rear. I went ahead and did force balance at other location (Tire Van, I know a guy there), so he told me there is no bent it's just rear tires failed to force balance (too much weight at one point, or something like this). Btw Tire Van calibrated there equipment every day in the morning.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by aharper
People talk about these cars being expensive to own. I expected it to be a little expensive but woa...

Bought the car in April... rims all bent, pre-buy inspection, new rims, tires, aux port, couple decals, side markers, alignment, after market warranty ($1995), blower motor, brake line replacement, oil change, thermostat, y pipe... my OUT OF POCKET cost since April NOT including my car payment = $7,045!!!! Granted, I bought an aftermarket warranty but I may consider cutting my losses and letting the car go. The warranty has covered well over $1000 already so it has nearly paid for itself. I love driving the car and am somehow justifying keeping it but when I look at the black and white (green) I'm thinking it's not worth it. If I had put that $7k toward my principal I'd have a loan for all of $5k left. Seems silly to throw this kind of money away. Half of the reason I'm holding on to it, though, is because I just don't know what else I'd rather drive. Blah.
Well I hate to say this but you should have done your homework on the car prior to buying it! We had a member here that was in the same exact situation and before he bought the car he asked the members for their opinion about a car he was planing to buy. He saved a lot money and headache and opted not to buy the car he was looking at.

I know sometimes it is hard to let the car go since your juices are flowing when you are about to buy a car, but you also need to be able to walk away from a bad deal!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

honestly, im always surprised at the amount of people who DONT do their own work. i mean really, arent we all men here? sure its a BMW and its somewhat complicated, but that's why theirs the internet, and forums such as these with tons of people with knowledge to help out.

most of the stuff you mentioned could have been done by you, and those parts you can find cheap online by searching.

by the stuff you listed i could have done it myself and maybe spent like 300 bucks. and im not talking out of my ass, im doing a complete tune out of my e60, oil, trans fluid change, spark plugs, belts, all filters, coolant flush and possible thermostat as well and ive totaled about 250 in partsa, and that stuff i can do myself.

the way i look at it, most the mechanics at the dealerships are IDIOTS, they hire anyone almost. if they can do it. I CAN DO IT. but guess thats just me.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by aharper
Bought the car in April...
I bought mine in April as well, with 77k on it. I had it inspected by the BMW dealership, and although there were some minor issues (scratches on rear door, one tire is non-BMW approved, the chrome on the shift knob was peeling off..) everything checked out great, including the wheels(Yes, requested they checked them).

I've owned my car for a little over 6 months now and have only had to pay for gas, and other than that, one oil change ($100 including oil/filter/labor)at my Indie mechanic(it was an in between oil change, @7,500mi before the idive called for it).

I have extended warranty/extended maintenance that runs out next April, so next spring I will take it in to have whatever is needed done.

One reason why I will always recommend the 525i/528i/530i over the V8 and N54 is the lower maintenance costs.

I have replaced the shift knob with a ZHP, and done a couple other minor mods, but that's it. I'm at 83,000 miles now.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

EDITED: If you let others do the thinking and the labor for you, these cars will be very expensive.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pradden
I bought mine in April as well, with 77k on it. I had it inspected by the BMW dealership, and although there were some minor issues (scratches on rear door, one tire is non-BMW approved, the chrome on the shift knob was peeling off..) everything checked out great, including the wheels(Yes, requested they checked them).

I've owned my car for a little over 6 months now and have only had to pay for gas, and other than that, one oil change ($100 including oil/filter/labor)at my Indie mechanic(it was an in between oil change, @7,500mi before the idive called for it).

I have extended warranty/extended maintenance that runs out next April, so next spring I will take it in to have whatever is needed done.

One reason why I will always recommend the 525i/528i/530i over the V8 and N54 is the lower maintenance costs.

I have replaced the shift knob with a ZHP, and done a couple other minor mods, but that's it. I'm at 83,000 miles now.

but then again your car will be a tad slower...maintenance for the V8 is not that bad since most can be performed as a DIY weekend project
Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
but then again your car will be a tad slower...maintenance for the V8 is not that bad since most can be performed as a DIY weekend project
Yeah, I'm sure my car is slower compared to the others. Choosing this sacrifice by wanting the N52, going into purchasing a E60, there was no way I was getting an automatic. I shopped manuals stick shifts only. It does drive pretty quick, and still has plenty of torque for all sorts of fun. I will do performance upgrades once the warranty is up. That is my plan.

- Keep in mind though, this is my first BMW, and by far the quickest car I've ever owned. I owned a lot of Hondas... Integra GS-R, Prelude SH, cars like that.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by pradden
Yeah, I'm sure my car is slower compared to the others. Choosing this sacrifice by wanting the N52, going into purchasing a E60, there was no way I was getting an automatic. I shopped manuals stick shifts only. It does drive pretty quick, and still has plenty of torque for all sorts of fun. I will do performance upgrades once the warranty is up. That is my plan.

- Keep in mind though, this is my first BMW, and by far the quickest car I've ever owned. I owned a lot of Hondas... Integra GS-R, Prelude SH, cars like that.
I think he meant the 525i/528i/530i would be a tad slower... I would say more than a tad. Nothing like that v8!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

What is maintenance difference between V8 and I6?
Only I see V8 has two extra spark plugs.
All other staff is about same,and both engines has weak points, like V8 can oil leak from vacuum pump, I6 has problem with electrical pump. Both has problem with radiators, I6 has more cases oil leaking under valve gasket, V8 has more camshaft sensors, so it's potential oil leak.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Members

If you want a screaming high speed sedan, here you are!
If you want a conservative sedan that is economical in repairs and gas, get a 528.

These high powered cars are seductive to be driven hard and abused.
Then you buy them used after the original owner has had his fun. You subsidized his good times!!
AND yes these cars are expensive.

As I found out with my boat years ago, boats are for fun. Maintenance is not fun. Therefore a used boat is not maintained. Expect troubles.

My neighbor tells me that his Hyundai SUV is top of the line . I tell him that my 2008/528xi is the bottom of the line and I love it!!

Quick Reply: Expensive to own...