E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Expensive to own...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People talk about these cars being expensive to own. I expected it to be a little expensive but woa...

Bought the car in April... rims all bent, pre-buy inspection, new rims, tires, aux port, couple decals, side markers, alignment, after market warranty ($1995), blower motor, brake line replacement, oil change, thermostat, y pipe... my OUT OF POCKET cost since April NOT including my car payment = $7,045!!!! Granted, I bought an aftermarket warranty but I may consider cutting my losses and letting the car go. The warranty has covered well over $1000 already so it has nearly paid for itself. I love driving the car and am somehow justifying keeping it but when I look at the black and white (green) I'm thinking it's not worth it. If I had put that $7k toward my principal I'd have a loan for all of $5k left. Seems silly to throw this kind of money away. Half of the reason I'm holding on to it, though, is because I just don't know what else I'd rather drive. Blah.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Yikes man! That's a whole lot of repairs... Did you know about all of those going into the purchase, or did you discover them as you went along?

How many miles are on the car?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

These cars become a lot cheaper to own when you
1) Know or can be recommended to a good indy mechanic
2) are a DIY'er (like ma and many others here)

Personally, I wouldn't have bought the car with bent rims in the first place, or at least negotiated the dollars down to where it made sense. The rest of the $7k seems to be for maintenance items and mods. I would have spent much, much more on my car if it weren't for the extended maintenance warranty, plus doing repairs and "between interval" maintenance myself, plus knowing a good honest indy mechanic.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I am not sure how many miles you have on the car, but lets face it, much of what you have spent money on was either elective (by choice) such as sidemarkers, decals, aux port, and most of the other stuff is maintenance on a 2005 with some miles on it. The rim issue is one I would have had the "dealer" address provided the pre-buy inspection identified the rims were bent... all 4??? Really?? Hopefully you saved some money due to the rims and tires...I am assuming you has 124's on the car since I have an 04 545... I had to replace one wheel recently.

You need to find a BMW Certified mechanic on the side... one who works out of his home or has an independent shop to help you save a bit on the labor costs...

EDIT: PJINCA we are on the same page... you just hit submit a couple seconds before me!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by jaycal3
EDIT: PJINCA we are on the same page... you just hit submit a couple seconds before me!
HAHAHA yeah I noticed, my wrenches and my garage have saved me quite a bit of cash
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Members

The car has 92k miles on it now. And yeah... all 4 rims were bent. When I bought the car I knew one of the tires needed to be replaced. I took the car to Classic BMW in Dallas for the pre-buy inspection. They apparently don't check the rims as part of the inspection... kind of a load of crap in my mind. I got the car back to Indianapolis and took it to discount tire to replace the one bad tire. While they were looking at the rim they saw the bend, then went to balance the other tires and they were all bent too. They said 3 were beyond repair but I dunno... it felt like the car just needed balanced but wasn't super terrible.

Everything else just happened over time.

Much of my out of pocket cost was also spent on the warranty. I just found a good mechanic away from the dealer last week that I'm going to use in the future if needed. Hopefully that will help for items that aren't covered under warranty. I'm still on the fence about keeping the car. I think I'm just worried that it will continue to suck money out of me at a super high rate.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aharper
... rims all bent,
This should have been your first clue as to how the car had been taken care of. There are WAY too many cars for sale to buy one that's not been well taken care of.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

At that mileage, you will have to replace the spark plugs, you may have to replace suspension components (control arms/thrust arms/wish bones or at least the bushings in those), fuel pump/filter, cooling system (radiator, thermostat, associated hoses, water pump, ...) You may want to change the transmission fluid+filter and differential fluid.

I am not trying to scare you... just making you aware what you'll need to plan for.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Allen
This should have been your first clue as to how the car had been taken care of. There are WAY too many cars for sale to buy one that's not been well taken care of.
I had no way to know about this ahead of time. The car passed the inspection from the BMW dealer. I didn't take the wheels off and inspect them on my own, that's part of what I was paying for.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aharper
I had no way to know about this ahead of time. The car passed the inspection from the BMW dealer. I didn't take the wheels off and inspect them on my own, that's part of what I was paying for.
agreed...

Quick Reply: Expensive to own...