5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Expected expense - Spark Plug replacement + other services at 100k (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/expected-expense-spark-plug-replacement-other-services-100k-108269/)

chirag11 12-28-2010 01:07 PM

Hello Forum,

Let me start off by saying that I love this forum. I come back to it again and again to get ideas and DIY stuff.

I am on my second 525i now - first was a 2001 525i and this one is a 2004 525i - currently approaching 93k miles. The car runs beautifully with almost no issues... almost...

Anyway I have two questions -

1. I am approaching 100k miles and besides the normal oil change, I see that I need to have the spark plugs changed. My car is out of warranty and I dont want to go to the dealer for this. How much should I expect to pay for spark plug + whatever goes with it (like the wires or the housing???) at an independent shop?

2. As I said earlier - almost no issues - and I dont know for sure if its an issue - but lately from around 75k miles point, I started to notice that, the gear upshift/downshift is not smooth and I notice that the RPMs go high from time to time especially when starting from a stop like a red light. Is this an indication of a transmission problem? I did have it looked at at the dealer (it was in warranty then - 6yr 100k) but they said it was fine and did not find issues. Or is it that I just need to change the transmission fluid? If so, how much does that cost?

Are there any other recommendations that I should do at 100k mile? I want to keep this car for a long time so I want to make sure I do all necessary maintenance.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

chirag11 12-28-2010 02:30 PM

Ping!!!

AchtungE60 12-28-2010 03:48 PM

Pong!!!!

I don't mind to sound like a broken record, but I am broken from continuing to answer the same Q everyday. In fact, just yesterday this was discussed. That goes for both the maintenance for this mileage and the shifting issue.

advancedlogic 12-28-2010 04:17 PM

First, welcome to the forums. It's a great resource filled with a seemingless unlimited amount of information. Allow me, however, one little suggestion. A bit of patience is to be expected when seeking answers to your questions. Less than an hour and a half before "pinging" forum members (which, in itself, is rather crass) in expectation of an immediate answer is rude. We are all on here as volunteers to share and exchange knowledge. But to do so requires a certain amount of mutual respect.

On the the question - Expected costs can vary from market to market. The N52B25 engine uses individual coil packs directly atop the spark plugs. Unless a coil is arcing or failing, replacement is not necessary. So your only cost should be for spark plug removal and installation. The same packs should be reused. Platinum-tipped plugs, at a minimum, must be used (Iridiums last longer, some say. I simply used OEM replacements). 6 plugs may run around $60 bucks or so at shop prices.

Definately change the serpentine belt for prudence. Check the rubber hoses for deterioration/soft spots. If your budget allows, have these changed for piece of mind (few things fail as consistantly as old rubber). A coolant flush is also needed. Of course your engine and cabin air filters should have been changed. Regarding the transmission, there are 2 schools of thought. Some say do it, as surely new fluid performs better than old. The other thought is that by doing so, you run the risk of disturbing particulate matter and/or may add additional wear to a functioning, sealed system. Mine was changed via extended warranty at around 75k due to a transmission seal failure. I have no opinion on this either way, except to say I probably would have changed it myself at 100k. Good luck and enjoy your E60 ride!

AchtungE60 12-28-2010 04:24 PM

He's not a newb...he said he frequents often http://forums.5serie...les-what-to-do/