E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Excessive Oil Consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Just looking for opinions on my car's oil consumption.

My car was down 1.5 liters and I got a low oil warning light at 4500 km or so. Attributed it to a new engine and break in consumption.

Had the first required oil change at 13,000 km. Green lights ran out, BMW paid, no problems.

Car is just under 21,000 km today and I added 1.5 liters to bring it up to full (got a low oil warning light when I turned off the motor). OBC says 13,000 km to go until the next oil change.

I have never had to add oil to any of my previous Bimmers between oil changes. Should I be booking the car in for diagnostics or are others finding their cars consuming oil at this rate?

FWIW, my car sat on the lot for eight months prior to my buying it. Could the extended period of being parked have an impact on any of the internal components?

Comments are appreciated.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='203377' date='Nov 25 2005, 03:28 PM

My car was down 1.5 liters and I got a low oil warning light at 4500 km or so. Attributed it to a new engine and break in consumption.

Had the first required oil change at 13,000 km. Green lights ran out, BMW paid, no problems.

Car is just under 21,000 km today and I added 1.5 liters to bring it up to full (got a low oil warning light when I turned off the motor). OBC says 13,000 km to go until the next oil change.

I have never had to add oil to any of my previous Bimmers between oil changes. Should I be booking the car in for diagnostics or are others finding their cars consuming oil at this rate?

FWIW, my car sat on the lot for eight months prior to my buying it. Could the extended period of being parked have an impact on any of the internal components?

I tend to think that 1 to 1.5 litres of oil consumption per 12,000 km (or 7-8k miles) is at the outer edges of what is acceptable for a non-M BMW engine (M engines are notorious sometimes for excessive oil consumption, the previous E39 M5 gulped oil like a fish in water).

Have your Service Advisor check your engine bearings. Excessive oil consumption is usually a sign that your bearing / rings have not seated properly - i.e., your engine was not "broken in" properly.

Good luck.

P.S. I don't think having the car sit idle for an extended period of time should contribute to oil consumption issues. Heck, lots of Ferraris sit on showrooms for months before some lucky soul comes along and drives it off the lot.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='203391

I tend to think that 1 to 1.5 litres of oil consumption per 12,000 km (or 7-8k miles) is at the outer edges of what is acceptable for a non-M BMW engine (M engines are notorious sometimes for excessive oil consumption, the previous E39 M5 gulped oil like a fish in water).

Have your Service Advisor check your engine bearings. Excessive oil consumption is usually a sign that your bearing / rings have not seated properly - i.e., your engine was not "broken in" properly.

Good luck.

P.S. I don't think having the car sit idle for an extended period of time should contribute to oil consumption issues. Heck, lots of Ferraris sit on showrooms for months before some lucky soul comes along and drives it off the lot.
[/quote]

The maximum figure for oil consumption is 1 litre per 1000km or 600 miles this goes up to 1.5 litres per 1000km/600 miles for M-powered cars.
The normal average is less than this but varies depending on driving habits/style
Old 11-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fixedwheelnut' post='203408
Originally Posted by ademitt' post='203377' date='Nov 25 2005, 03:28 PM

Good luck.

The maximum figure for oil consumption is 1 litre per 1000km or 600 miles this goes up to 1.5 litres per 1000km/600 miles for M-powered cars.
The normal average is less than this but varies depending on driving habits/style
[/quote]

Hmm, "1 litre per 1000km or 600 miles this goes up to 1.5 litres per 1000km/600 miles for M-powered cars." ... where are you getting your numbers? Even the worst of the E39 M5s never consumed that much oil.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Audi TDIs are real oil burners with a little fast driving the "oil too low" warning appears at 8.000km! They say it is usual.
In the 20.000 km periodic reviews of my 320d the oil has never been lower than half way (230.000 km engine!).
I hope the 525d is like that...
Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by fixedwheelnut' post='203408' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:25 PM
The shop forman at the dealership said that the upper limit he would expect on oil consumption is 1 liter per 1200 km. Your number is pretty close fixedwheelnut (and welcome to E60 Forums.

I have to take my car in for a cip update once v20 arrives. I will ask them to take a quick look at the engine to see if there appears to be a problem.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

It is logic that new BNW engine burn oil: LL04 oil is very fluid. 0W30