E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Excess emission

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the leaky fuel pump. It's been 3 days, and the SA have no idea what is the problem with the car.

So no one has similar problems thus far?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by RH550' post='277287' date='May 2 2006, 10:14 PM
Okay, I'm not even going tell you what I got as a loaner but it's got 17" wheel AND tire. I'm getting 40MPG.

Why not? tell us. a 530d? thats not bad...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='278251' date='May 4 2006, 06:50 PM
Why not? tell us. a 530d? thats not bad...

Not 17" rim. 17" rim and tire. Had it for 4 hours before I changed into something "more comfortable"!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ford Fiesta...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='278279' date='May 4 2006, 09:42 PM
Ford Fiesta...
It was a Chevy something...
Old 05-05-2006, 04:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Similar problem but on a 525D which is in the shop now :thumbsdown: as the dealer also forgot to bleed the brakes properly when changing the fluid . BMW operator on their assistance line told me to ignore it and see if the system resets as a common problem. It did after a week but then kept coming back. Called out their technician who has diagnosed a faulty mass air detector sensor with the calculation for the value of fuel mixture being to high (I though the old oil burners werent as sensitive as petrol models to fuel air mixture!). Interestingly the warning message disappered half a mile after I last filled up so I wonder if the quality of fuel affects the cars status when the sensor / mix is on the limit of allowable tolerances? And before anyone asks the fuel cap is not cracked.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by izen2' post='277103' date='May 2 2006, 02:02 PM
RE: 2006 530I; Just received a recall notice regarding emissions. Day later also received notice in car.

Basically they have to update the computer regards to monitioring the sensors. Otherwise it will not pqass emission test.

The first time it was in the shop, April 20th, I asked them to check for all software updates as well. When I picked up the car, all updates were checked and the car didn't need any. SES came back on not 200 miles later on April 27th, I took the car back to the dealer this past Tuesday, and it's still in the shop with the dealer not able to figure out what's wrong.

So how long should I wait before calling BMW for a buy back?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='278374' date='May 5 2006, 05:21 AM
Similar problem but on a 525D which is in the shop now :thumbsdown: as the dealer also forgot to bleed the brakes properly when changing the fluid . BMW operator on their assistance line told me to ignore it and see if the system resets as a common problem. It did after a week but then kept coming back. Called out their technician who has diagnosed a faulty mass air detector sensor with the calculation for the value of fuel mixture being to high (I though the old oil burners werent as sensitive as petrol models to fuel air mixture!). Interestingly the warning message disappered half a mile after I last filled up so I wonder if the quality of fuel affects the cars status when the sensor / mix is on the limit of allowable tolerances? And before anyone asks the fuel cap is not cracked.

I think the new diesel motors are designed to be cleaner burning than petrol motors. They are no longer smokers. The sensors are probably more sensitive because of that.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='278374' date='May 5 2006, 02:21 PM
Same problem to me in my E61 525dA with 10 months and 22.000 Km on it.
In the last month the same warning message came 4 times. :'(
The first time it came together with a huge loss of power and (I think) a safety measure that didn't allow the engine to rev higher than 3.000 rpm. This first time they diagnosed a failure in the variable Geometry Turbo and replaced it under warranty.
That might have been part of the problem, but it was not all. :thumbsdown:
In the last two weeks, the message came two more times and my BMW dealer does not has any idea of what's causing it.
Next Tuesday the car is once more in the dealer for repair, with the final warning that either the car comes OK this time (the fourth in one month period), or otherwise a new car (OR ENGINE) must be given...
Old 05-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by albmag' post='282186' date='May 14 2006, 02:49 PM
Same problem to me in my E61 525dA with 10 months and 22.000 Km on it.
In the last month the same warning message came 4 times. :'(
The first time it came together with a huge loss of power and (I think) a safety measure that didn't allow the engine to rev higher than 3.000 rpm. This first time they diagnosed a failure in the variable Geometry Turbo and replaced it under warranty.
That might have been part of the problem, but it was not all. :thumbsdown:
In the last two weeks, the message came two more times and my BMW dealer does not has any idea of what's causing it.
Next Tuesday the car is once more in the dealer for repair, with the final warning that either the car comes OK this time (the fourth in one month period), or otherwise a new car (OR ENGINE) must be given...
It was the mass air flow meter that had gone on my vehicle (04 525DA SE) and the technician who diagnosed it found logged on the on-board computer with the air mixture running rich/high. Try telephoning BMW assist next time the light is on and tell them its not running right and see if one of their experienced mobile technicians can track down the problem. It also could be the Lamda sensor.

Good news is that my car seem to have real go just like I remember when it was new

Quick Reply: Excess emission