E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

European tow bar for US cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here in the States recently install a european tow bar? I'm looking for a detachable tow bar that is completely hidden when detached, and I don't want to have to cut the rear-facing portion of the rear bumper.

Is this possible? How much?

Secondary, does anybody know why there is no tow option in the US?

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Deano' post='566665' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:25 PM
Has anyone here in the States recently install a european tow bar? I'm looking for a detachable tow bar that is completely hidden when detached, and I don't want to have to cut the rear-facing portion of the rear bumper.

Thanks,
People in the U.S. don't typically use cars to tow things. They use trucks and SUV's.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by Deano' post='566665' date='Apr 23 2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks,
Do a search on this site and you'll find a number of discussions re: installing a Euro towbar on the E60. There's even a link to a supplier in The UK (toys4cars) that has a good looking towbar. My 2007 E61 has an after-market US hitch that does not look as good as the Euro unit but does the job towing our Boston Whaler and small sailboat.
As to why BMW USA doesn't want us to use our cars and wagons to tow: I've been told that there's some sort of "liability" issue with towing that they want to avoid. Audi and MBZ follow the same reasoning. I suspect that, in all three cases, the American dealers would prefer to sell their SUVs as towing vehicles. It's interesting to note that both Saab and Volvo can provide factory towbars for their cars and wagons. Additionally, the specs for many American and Oriental cars show a towing capacity (as did BMW and MBZ before the introduction of SUVs to their product lines and that they still do for cars and wagons sold outside the US).
Al T.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='566742' date='Apr 23 2008, 06:30 PM
People in the U.S. don't typically use cars to tow things. They use trucks and SUV's.
Why should I run out an buy, register & insure a truck that I'll only use a dozen times a year when I can borrow yours?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Deano' post='566844' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:47 PM
Why should I run out an buy, register & insure a truck that I'll only use a dozen times a year when I can borrow yours?
Who said I have one? I borrow my neighbor's truck
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Al T.' post='566823' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:56 PM
Do a search on this site and you'll find a number of discussions re: installing a Euro towbar on the E60. There's even a link to a supplier in The UK (toys4cars) that has a good looking towbar. My 2007 E61 has an after-market US hitch that does not look as good as the Euro unit but does the job towing our Boston Whaler and small sailboat.
As to why BMW USA doesn't want us to use our cars and wagons to tow: I've been told that there's some sort of "liability" issue with towing that they want to avoid. Audi and MBZ follow the same reasoning. I suspect that, in all three cases, the American dealers would prefer to sell their SUVs as towing vehicles. It's interesting to note that both Saab and Volvo can provide factory towbars for their cars and wagons. Additionally, the specs for many American and Oriental cars show a towing capacity (as did BMW and MBZ before the introduction of SUVs to their product lines and that they still do for cars and wagons sold outside the US).
Al T.
Thank you for your response. The verically detachable towbar shown on the toys4cars link looks absolutely perfect. I have a few questions in to the author of that post. It looks like I will have to deal with toys4cars over the phone, as their web site is only setup for customers from the U.K. I hope this hitch doesn't require reprogramming. If so, I doubt a U.S. dealer would do it.

I still have 2 years on my extended warrantee. I wonder if having this hitch will void my warrantee?

Thanks again,
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Have a look at www.towequipe.co.uk
They do a selection of towbars and I have found them very helpful in the past for a number of towbars that I have fitted.

There are two types of fitting kits for the electrics.
One is a "7 way relay" and is considerably cheaper, can be awkward to fit if you're not used to playing with car wiring.
The other is a "dedicated fitting kit" that is specific to the E60/E61. Thie integrates the bulb failure warnings into the iDrive without any programming required. Both of these kits are sold separately from the bar.

Having fitted both, I would go for the expensive option, if only for the elegance of the interface.

BTW, I have a BOSAL on my E60, but it has a horizontal fitting ball - as per the E39 diagram on toys4cars website. The socket is visible under the car, but is easier to use than the vertical one. The only problem for the vertical one is that you generally have to get on your knees to fit it into the socket. No problem most of the time, until you are in a wet field in your decent clothes!!

Mike
Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by Deano' post='566905' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:17 PM
Thank you for your response. The verically detachable towbar shown on the toys4cars link looks absolutely perfect. I have a few questions in to the author of that post. It looks like I will have to deal with toys4cars over the phone, as their web site is only setup for customers from the U.K. I hope this hitch doesn't require reprogramming. If so, I doubt a U.S. dealer would do it.

I still have 2 years on my extended warrantee. I wonder if having this hitch will void my warrantee?

Thanks again,
Hello again,
I failed to mention in my recent post that finding someone to install the towbar wiring has been a problem. The dealer suggested U-Haul as their favorite for hitch and wiring installations on the BMW, MBZ and Audi's they sell. When I went to U-Haul, they turned me down, stating that they couldn't do it on late model cars. None of the indies I've contacted were willing to take on the job since they thought the wiring interface that's on Euro spec M60/61s is not on our NA cars. Because we use the receiver hitch more for our bike carrier than for towing our trailers, and until I find help w/the wiring issue, I've fabricated a pigtail that at least powers the trailers' lights. Any help from someone with a 2006 or later NA spec E60/61 who has resolved this issue will be appreciated.
Al T.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Al T.' post='567164' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:51 PM
Hello again,
I failed to mention in my recent post that finding someone to install the towbar wiring has been a problem. The dealer suggested U-Haul as their favorite for hitch and wiring installations on the BMW, MBZ and Audi's they sell. When I went to U-Haul, they turned me down, stating that they couldn't do it on late model cars. None of the indies I've contacted were willing to take on the job since they thought the wiring interface that's on Euro spec M60/61s is not on our NA cars. Because we use the receiver hitch more for our bike carrier than for towing our trailers, and until I find help w/the wiring issue, I've fabricated a pigtail that at least powers the trailers' lights. Any help from someone with a 2006 or later NA spec E60/61 who has resolved this issue will be appreciated.
Al T.

If you are at all concerned about the wiring interface (or lack of), then go for the "7 way Realy" wiring option. This solution is more "agricultural" in that it piggy backs on to the light unit wiring, and uses an electronic relay to switch on the trailer lights, using the car light wires as a signal, rather than a feed. There is usually a buzzer integrated in to the relay that buzzes if the trailer indicators are working (i.e. it is silent when the trailer is disconnected, but buzzes in time to the indicators when they are in use when towing). As it is more-or-less self contained, there are no interface or programming issues, but of course, it doesn't include tail/stop light bulb failure functionality, or iDrive display. They are also a lot cheaper!! To anyone who has wired up an older car with a towbar (be it US or European), then this solution is straightforward.

Mike