E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Euro plates

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone of you got a ticket from using the euro plates underneath the licensed plates (im from cali so cali plates) or maybe pulled over by a police because of them???

i got a pair of euro plates and planning to use them with the cali plates

thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by euro2nv' post='686769' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:24 PM
hey guys i was just wondering if anyone of you got a ticket from using the euro plates underneath the licensed plates (im from cali so cali plates) or maybe pulled over by a police because of them???

thanks in advance!
Even running Euro plates in the UK is a problem, and I thought that we were meant to be part of Europe

Used to have no end of grief on my Audi S2 running euro plates from the local cops...

Weird thing is that I dont get any hassle with my Splitscreen VW on Cali plates, here in the UK
Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by euro2nv' post='686769' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:24 PM

thanks in advance!

=============================

Dear euro2nv,

Laws can vary from state to state, and if I was you, I would call and check with my Local CA Local Law enforcement agency first about your question of using the euro tag in conjunction with the CA tag on your BMW. As harmless as it might sound to us, you know how strict Police can be doing their sworn duty by upholding the law.

Good luck and hope this helps!!

Eddie Presley - GA
Old 10-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Last night I was in the drive thru and an Audi A5 drove by with a front euro plate.
I pulled up to him and asked if he ever got in trouble.
He said that he got pulled over once about 6 months ago and got a warning.
I dont know the laws in Tx or in Ca but Im sure even if it is legal in your state, a cop can do whatever they want.
Im sure if you tell the cop that its not illegal they wont listen to you.
So Im most certain that you will get harassed by the police by having euro plates.
Thats why Im not doing this mod.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

im gonna try my luck and experiment
i hope they won't pull me over
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

I know over here in Michigan, I have seen plenty of cars with the Euro plates on the front (we dont have front license plates required). I know some co-workers which have had them and there haven't been any issues. This is a mod i'm definitely considering.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by formuleuno' post='686993' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:57 AM
I know over here in Michigan, I have seen plenty of cars with the Euro plates on the front (we dont have front license plates required). I know some co-workers which have had them and there haven't been any issues. This is a mod i'm definitely considering.

Euro plates is the raging fad over here in Taiwan (and other parts of Asia as well) where they put a Euro plate behind the local plate to show that their car is an import. Damn Japanese cars even do it with a "J" on it as well--irritating as hell.

Well, since everyone and his grandma is doing it, it's a mod I just can't bring myself to do at the moment!

And yes, it's legal or so it appears, since they are all over the place.....
Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

you shouldnt be hassled if your CA plate will be over the euro plate. I was hassled before once *knock on wood* for my euro plate (no CA plate on top of it) but it wasnt the reason for being pulled over.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Members

I'm in NY and I have blank Euro plates underneath my NYS plates; both front and back. So far I've not had any problems, and I think it's because they are blanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by m37all1ca' post='687007' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:09 AM
I'm in NY and I have blank Euro plates underneath my NYS plates; both front and back. So far I've not had any problems, and I think it's because they are blanks.
Ah, maybe that's the reason. Blanks would be okay since they are decorative in nature and don't affect the legal local plates.......

Quick Reply: Euro plates