E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ethanol and E60 FYI

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current: 2006 550 - Sport & Cold Weather Packages, Premium Audio and Navigation, Monaco Blue and Biege Previous: 2001 330Ci - Sport & Premium Packages, Orient Blue and Biege

Originally Posted by gpt' post='295097' date='Jun 9 2006, 10:31 AM
If you are having trouble viewing this email click here.
To ensure delivery of these e-mails in the future, please add bstone@bmwpeabody.com to your address book.
Ethanol and your BMW
The recent addition of ethanol to gasoline in the US gasoline has sparked a lot of discussion among our customers. Since these issues are of common interest to many of our customers, BMW of Peabody wanted to take a moment to offer some suggestions for your 530ia.

What Is The Current Use Of Ethanol?
As you know, Ethanol is a fuel additive that, in the US, is usually made from corn. When burned, ethanol releases much less tailpipe emissions than gasoline, making it better for the environment. Because of that, ethanol is now being mixed with gasoline for auto fuel. This mixture can be from 10% all the way up to 85% (E85).

Will Using Fuel Mixed With Ethanol Harm My Vehicle?
Using a fuel that contains up to 10% ethanol will not harm your vehicle. However, there are a couple of things to be considered. First, under some conditions (usually low temperatures) ethanol separates from the gasoline-alcohol mixture and absorbs water. The ethanol absorbed water is heavier than gasoline or ethanol and settles at the bottom of the fuel tank. When introduced into the combustion process, this leads to an extremely lean fuel mixture and can result in misfires, rough idles, and cold starting problems.

Secondly, some materials commonly used with gasoline are not compatible with ethanol. When these materials come in contact with ethanol, they may dissolve in the fuel, which may result in poor drivability, or worse engine damage.

Please remember that fuels that contain more than 10% ethanol such as E85 are intended for specially prepared vehicles (flex-fuel vehicles). These fuels must never be used in BMW vehicles.

Will Using Ethanol Void My Warranty?
Using fuel that contains up to and including 10% ethanol will not harm your vehicle or void the applicable warranty with respect to defects in materials or workmanship. However, BMW does not cover damage caused by fuel containing more than 10% ethanol or by contaminated fuel.

What Can I Do To Protect My Vehicle?
There are a couple of important things you can do to protect the investment you've made in your BMW.

1. Purchase high quality fuel. Make sure that your fuel has a minimum octane rating of AKI 91 and the percentage of ethanol is 10% or less.

2. Purchase your fuel from a reputable source. BMW and several other auto manufacturers have worked with gasoline retailers to approve "TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline". These fuels have increased levels of detergent to help keep engines cleaner and reduce deposits-related concerns.

You can find out more about TOP TIER Fuels and find a retailer at www.toptiergas.com.

I hope this information can be of valuable use.

Sincerely,
Bob Stone
Service Manager
BMW of Peabody
If you want to visit our web site click here.

BMW of Peabody - 221 Andover Street - Peabody, MA 01960 - 978-538-9900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is being sent to you, because you either purchased or service your 530ia at BMW of Peabody. We send these emails to benefit you with savings, factory recall information and timely servicing information. If for some reason you would like to be taken off this email list for your 530ia please click here and you will no longer receive these emails regarding your 530ia. Should you have any suggestions or comments regarding our email program, please feel free to call us at 978-538-9900. Your feedback is important to us! Thank you!
I have been having increasing problems with hesitation in my 550i lately and my dealer is blaming in on the high ethanol content (10%) in the 93 octane gas is this area (Boston). They are actually suggesting the car will run better with 89 octance gas becuase it has less ethanol in it.

Sounds fishy to me.

Anyone else hearing this?

Counter theories?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Contributors

At the end of 2006, Thailand will stop providing the fuel they provide now and start to provide fuel with 10% or less ethanol. So in my case, i won't have a choice but to go with the ethanol fuel. poo!!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by bobbybass' post='313942' date='Jul 22 2006, 06:31 PM
I have been having increasing problems with hesitation in my 550i lately and my dealer is blaming in on the high ethanol content (10%) in the 93 octane gas is this area (Boston). They are actually suggesting the car will run better with 89 octance gas becuase it has less ethanol in it.

Sounds fishy to me.

Anyone else hearing this?

Counter theories?
The gas will have the same octane number even it have 10% ethanol in it. Actually, ethanol it self have higher octane number that gasoline. Turbo cars can even turn up the pressure a little when they are remapped for E85. The down side with ethanole is that it don't have as high energy content so you have to put in a little more of it to get the same power out. Your car shuld not hesitate due to the ethanole mixing, but it can consume a little more.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

anyone from hawaii here?

i think i saw high-content ethanol at all service stations when i was in maui last month.

charley
Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2006 550 - Sport & Cold Weather Packages, Premium Audio and Navigation, Monaco Blue and Biege Previous: 2001 330Ci - Sport & Premium Packages, Orient Blue and Biege

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='313992' date='Jul 22 2006, 03:18 PM
The gas will have the same octane number even it have 10% ethanol in it. Actually, ethanol it self have higher octane number that gasoline. Turbo cars can even turn up the pressure a little when they are remapped for E85. The down side with ethanole is that it don't have as high energy content so you have to put in a little more of it to get the same power out. Your car shuld not hesitate due to the ethanole mixing, but it can consume a little more.
Thats what I would have thought as well.

Any more thoughts out there?