E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ethanol Blended Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the local stations now have signs that the fuels may be blended with up to 10% ethanol. Is this ok to run (I do use 93 octane) or should I search for the few stations that do not use the blend. Or are all stations using the blend but do not post the signs.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jeffrichter' post='563014' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:01 AM
Most of the local stations now have signs that the fuels may be blended with up to 10% ethanol. Is this ok to run (I do use 93 octane) or should I search for the few stations that do not use the blend. Or are all stations using the blend but do not post the signs.
Should be no trouble with ethanol blended gas. I use it sometimes and don't see any difference.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

I don't think ethanol is good for your engine, unless it is designed to run on it. It is always better to use non-blended gas. It is usually a little more expensive, but gives you the best gas mileage and will keep your engine cleaner, especially when using gas from top tier gas stations, they also have high grade detergent additives. BMW highly recommends top tier gas, you can check out this site: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Originally Posted by jeffrichter' post='563014' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:01 AM
Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

I am skeptical.

Who?s website is this Toptier.com? An independent testing firm? Maybe a consortium of a group of brands?

Top Tier has a fancy, impressive write up (Deposit Control). Any motor fuel expert could write that for fee. Does some one from Top Tier drive around and pump a sample from all these different stations to be tested in some lab?

I have never seen an unbiased study* that compares Shell (for example) with ?Bubba?s Eat and Get Gas Carry Out? fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shell tanker pulls into Bubbas on his next stop ? and munches on a burger while he dumps another load.

BTW, I use one of the top tier brands because it happens to be amongst the least expensive in my neck of the woods.

*If anyone out there knows of such a study, I would be glad to view it.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

I believe to be qualified for top tier gas, it needs to meet the minimum detergency requirement. BMW car manual says it's recommended to use top tier gasoline, otherwise it says to use BMW fuel system additive every so often.
Originally Posted by sixcard' post='563155' date='Apr 17 2008, 01:56 PM
I am skeptical.

Who?s website is this Toptier.com? An independent testing firm? Maybe a consortium of a group of brands?

Top Tier has a fancy, impressive write up (Deposit Control). Any motor fuel expert could write that for fee. Does some one from Top Tier drive around and pump a sample from all these different stations to be tested in some lab?

I have never seen an unbiased study* that compares Shell (for example) with ?Bubba?s Eat and Get Gas Carry Out? fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shell tanker pulls into Bubbas on his next stop ? and munches on a burger while he dumps another load.

BTW, I use one of the top tier brands because it happens to be amongst the least expensive in my neck of the woods.

*If anyone out there knows of such a study, I would be glad to view it.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Members

"Top Tier" is important, but a little off topic ---- does the ethanol content of the fuel affect performance or mileage?

I don't have anything scientific, but I think the ethanol additive reduces my mileage. I've heard similar experiences in other vehicles.

This ethanol thing has to be the biggest scam pulled over on the American public since .... (insert favorite scam here, e.g. private mortgage insurance, smog inspections, ....c'mon people, give me more)
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i White/Black Sport

Originally Posted by vadim' post='563058' date='Apr 17 2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think ethanol is good for your engine, unless it is designed to run on it. It is always better to use non-blended gas. It is usually a little more expensive, but gives you the best gas mileage and will keep your engine cleaner, especially when using gas from top tier gas stations, they also have high grade detergent additives. BMW highly recommends top tier gas, you can check out this site: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Which top tier stations do not use ethanol blend?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by vadim' post='563058' date='Apr 17 2008, 11:15 AM
Ethanol is not bad for you engine, and is present as an oxygenate in almost all fuel, including top tier gas. (It has replaced MTBE, which is a rather nasty chemical.)

10% ethanol will not hurt your engine.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='563206' date='Apr 17 2008, 04:33 PM
"Top Tier" is important, but a little off topic ---- does the ethanol content of the fuel affect performance or mileage?

I don't have anything scientific, but I think the ethanol additive reduces my mileage. I've heard similar experiences in other vehicles.

This ethanol thing has to be the biggest scam pulled over on the American public since .... (insert favorite scam here, e.g. private mortgage insurance, smog inspections, ....c'mon people, give me more)
You'll see about a 2% drop in fuel economy with 10% ethanol blends.

Ethanol is neither a perfect solution, nor the scam it's made out to be. Ethanol is certainly environmentally cleaner and safer than the additives it replaces.

Ethanol from starch (i.e. corn) is a fairly bad, unsustainable idea. It has been shown to be a net carbon producer, and there's not enough food in the world to meet our energy needs.

Ethanol from cellulose is a good, sustainable, carbon neutral idea, and required little infrastructure or automotive changes to implement. The changes to the car are mostly programming and higher flow fuel injectors. The rubber seal issue really only applies to classic autos.

In some ways, ethanol from cellulose is better than hydrogen, as most hydrogen is made from oil. Hydrogen from cellulose is even more promising, but obviously had the requirement that we drastically change all the cars and fueling stations to implement it.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10% Ethanol your not really going to see difference in overall performance and minimal lower MPG (like someone else said like 2% or so).

One thing I noticed on my Lexus LS when I replaced the starter twice, was the first time 10% Ethanol blend gas was at about 25% of the gas stations around. So not to often did I fill up with Ethanol blend. Second time when I replaced the starter though I'd say during that time and currently now around 90% of the gas stations use a 10% Ethanol blend and the intake manifold had alot more gunk/deposits in it. My buddy who was helping me (car nut) said he has noticed over the last few years as the Ethanol blend became almost a standard that most cars he has worked on he notice a lot more deposits built up in the intake manifold. Though by just spraying a little carb cleaner it cleaned right up with very little work. So I'd assume if you run a fuel injector cleaner through once every few months it should keep everything squeaky clean. Which is what I do now with my BMW and Lexus.

Oh well my 2 cents from my experience.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Blended Gas