E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine, Transmission, or software issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Hi to all,

I am a newbie and needs help in finding the actual Technical Service Bulletin Number if there is any, about an intermittent harsh downshift jolt when slowing down to a stop, and sometimes continuous jerking while cruising between 35-40mph.BTW my car is an 05 545i. I have a Bulletin Number SI-B24-03-09 but not sure if this is the actual TSB from BMW.

There is an intermittent shaking and vibration when in idle, transmission is in park or drive.

My 6yr/100k warranty will expire on Dec. of this year, so, I want it to be resolve before my warranty expires.

I was in the dealer last week regarding this problem and the SA told me that he test drove the car but can not duplicate the problem and did not find any fault. Is this an engine problem, a transmission problem, or just a software glitch.

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2010 | 04:28 PM
Members

Hey man, I had the issue of the transmission jerking when coming to a stop. i took my 2007 530i to the dealer 3 times. The first time they said the trans fluid was too low so they topped it off. The jerking went away for 3 days then came back. The second time I took it in they did a software upgrade, but that didn't fix the problem. Finally, the third time I had the shop foreman go on a test drive with me and he acknowledged the problem. They called BMW headquarters and after explaining the issue I got a remanufactured transmission. Now the car does not have the issue. I'm glad I had the CPO warranty. I'd keep bugging them about it and try having the foreman go on a test drive with you....you drive.

Hope this helps
Old 03-30-2010 | 04:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

I have the same problem however it is one of those that is not allways there making it hard to diagnose. I am past warranty now however pointed at this problem a couple of times. Once it comes back I am heading to the dealer. I will keep an eye on this post. Let us know what is the issue, and GL!
Old 03-30-2010 | 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Thank you for the reply.
I know that there is something wrong with the transmission but the problem is intermittent so it's hard to diagnose.
The dealer kept my car for 6 days and drove it for 100 miles and the only thing that they told me was to change the thrust/bushings for $1300.00 due to excessive play during visual inspection.
On my way home from the dealer yesterday it started jerking again at a steady speed of 35-40mph.
I already talk to an Indy BMW shop that is close to my house and the owner/tech will test drive and visually check the suspension if I really need to replace the control arm or the bushings.
Old 03-30-2010 | 11:23 AM
Members

The Indy BMW shop that I consulted for second opinion point out to me that there was something wrong with the transmission but it was barely noticeable at this time, we drove around for a couple of miles and the jerking was very minimal, and for the suspension issue that the dealer wants to replace for $1300.00 was still fine, no excessive play in the thrust arms and bushings. All the components were really tight and there's no reason to change it at this point in time.
Old 03-31-2010 | 02:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i

Hi:
I have the similar problems on my 2004 525i. The tranny jerks almost everytime the car is put to a stop, especially abrupt ones. The tranny was changing a few gears down, and it's very noticeable! The problem disappears or becomes very minimal if I put it to a very gradual stop. On revving up, sometimes it hesitates to shift upwards around the speed of 60-70km/h, keeping the RPM high at between 3K to 4K..
I tried the following:
1.) Updated to the latest software, back in Dec 2009 - no success
2.) Changed the ATF, back in Feb 2010 - no success
3.) Ran "transmission adaptation", 3 weeks ago - also no success

I am starting to think that this is a transmission issue... so I suggest you press your dealer HARD to get it replaced while u r still under warranty.

Old 04-01-2010 | 02:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Guys, have you tried the transmission reset? See this link

http://forums.e60.ne...=40018&hl=trick

Good luck,
Old 04-01-2010 | 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

The constant "jerk" between 35 and 40 is a known problem - I had it and had it fixed. The problem is in the mechtronics valve control in the transmission - there are contacts in there that short out and cause the transmission up shift, then down shift (actually feels like then torque converter is locking/unlocking). The fix is to replace the mechtronics unit, and BMW replaced mine under CPO.
Old 04-01-2010 | 01:23 PM
Members

Thank you Cobra 427 for the reply, is the constant jerking that you had was intermittent or all the time when you're between 35-40 mph. I had that jerking on my way home from the dealer, but never had it since Tuesday until now.Can I just go to the dealer and tell them that the problem is the mechtronics valve control in the transmission? Or they need to duplicate it first before doing the job under CPO.
Old 04-02-2010 | 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

The intermittent jerking was primarily only when the car was up to temp, so I had to drive around a bit, get it to temp, and then have the shop foreman go for a drive with, where I duplicated the problem - it really only happened right around 39, 40, 41 MPH with very, very little application to the throttle (up shift, down shift, up shift, down shift, etc...). Since getting it fixed, the foreman told me that he has had other 545's and 645's with the same problem, requiring the same solution. I'm not sure if there's a Tech Bulletin out on this or not.

Hope this helps,
Randy...

Quick Reply: Engine, Transmission, or software issue?