E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Engine too hot, drive moderately to prevent overh

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

I have a 2 day old 530 with 50 miles on it. Got the following message 2 minutes after starting the car after being parked for 30 min. BTW...was babying the car- low RPMs !

"Engine too hot, drive moderately to prevent overheating"

then....

"Engine Overheated, Turn Off Engine, call Roadside Assistance"

so...I parked, waited 10 min....and again...same thing.

I called Roadside, and they flatbedded the car away.....Needless to say...I'm pretty pissed off. Its a 3 day weekend, and Im without my new car.

The car didnt overheat because of hard driving, so either, has to be a false reading and has to do with a sensor, a computer problem, or was actually overheating due to a mechanical problem.

I found only one mention of this message in this forum, and no followup disscussions...before I get the dealer's story in 3 days, figured I make this post and hopefully find someone who experienced the same problem, what the diagnosis was, how it was fixed, and that it never happened again.

Oh...one possitive note...this incident did make me find this e60 site
Old 09-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Maybe one of the sensors is busted or it could be a software issue..

Please keep us posted on the outcome!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Mine had to be flatbetted after 2 months, so I fell with you. Seems to be a very unfortunate and for BMY highly embarrassing pattern emerging...
Old 09-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

This usually is a real mechanical problem.
And once a BMW is overheated you have to go to the dealer and have it checked anyways.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by ProEx1' date='Sep 4 2005, 08:32 AM
I have a 2 day old 530 with 50 miles on it.? Got the following message 2 minutes after starting the car after being parked for 30 min.? BTW...was babying the car- low RPMs !

then....

so...I? parked, waited 10 min....and again...same thing.

I called Roadside, and they flatbedded the car away.....Needless to say...I'm pretty pissed off.? Its a 3 day weekend, and Im without my new car.

The car didnt overheat because of hard driving, so either, has to be a false reading and has to do with a sensor, a computer problem, or was actually overheating due to a mechanical problem.

I found only one mention of this message in this forum, and no followup disscussions...before I get the dealer's story in 3 days, figured I make this post and hopefully find someone who experienced the same problem, what the diagnosis was, how it was fixed, and that it never happened again.

[snapback]166792[/snapback]

I hope that this isn't the beginning of teething problems due to the overwhelming amount of new technology associated with the new N54 engine(electric water pump, for example).
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by ProEx1' date='Sep 4 2005, 05:32 AM
Yes, at least you get something good out of this.

For what it's worth, the car I test drove indicated that I needed to slow down the speed of the vehicle, and pull over because of a "flat tire". The sales agent and I got out of the car, inspected all four wheels/tires visually, and noticed no such problem. All tires seemed to be inflated correctly so we got back into the vehicle and drove back to the dealership.

The message was an error by the sensors because a technician promptly checked the pressure on all tires and determined that they were all STILL correct. The technician quickly stuck the key in the ignition and, without cranking the motor, pressed the button on the dash (the one to reset your trip odometer) in a series of presses and the iDrive seemed to clear itself of this erroneous flat tire warning.

I bought that particular car about an hour after this ordeal and have never seen that warning again.

I hope the issue you're facing here is also simple to address.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Welcome ProEx1!

Tough luck. :thumbsdown:

Skaffa
Old 09-05-2005, 12:25 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by ProEx1' date='Sep 4 2005, 08:32 PM
I have a 2 day old 530 with 50 miles on it.? Got the following message 2 minutes after starting the car after being parked for 30 min.? BTW...was babying the car- low RPMs !

then....

so...I? parked, waited 10 min....and again...same thing.

I called Roadside, and they flatbedded the car away.....Needless to say...I'm pretty pissed off.? Its a 3 day weekend, and Im without my new car.

Had the same problem a couple of weeks back, coolant was OK and wasn't driving hard. Got the local BMW workshop to run diagnostic and found faulty thermostat. Everything is fine after that.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Well...dealer says they are replacing the water pump. I get the car back tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well at least we now know what to expect when the car overheats since we don't have an actual temperature gauge...

Quick Reply: "Engine too hot, drive moderately to prevent overh