E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine tapping/rattle under light load in 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine tapping/rattle under light load in 545i

I've only had this car maybe 2 weeks and it has some odd issues. I can hear an engine tapping/rattle sound while under a load especially from 1500-3000 rpm. I can hear it and feel it through the shifter, I have a 6spd manual car. I can hear/feel this engine too much. I never had any noises or felt anything in my E46 325i, except when I had a guibo go bad at 165k or so. I'm a little discouraged I should have listened and stayed away lol.

The car pulls strong and I don't notice noise under WOT under load. I have searched this just nothing the same.

Happens when cold or hot.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsblk93gt
I've only had this car maybe 2 weeks and it has some odd issues. I can hear an engine tapping/rattle sound while under a load especially from 1500-3000 rpm. I can hear it and feel it through the shifter, I have a 6spd manual car. I can hear/feel this engine too much. I never had any noises or felt anything in my E46 325i, except when I had a guibo go bad at 165k or so. I'm a little discouraged I should have listened and stayed away lol.

The car pulls strong and I don't notice noise under WOT under load. I have searched this just nothing the same.

Oil change??? I know on my 545i at about 8k into an oil change I hear a slight tapping at light load at about the same rpm. But unlike u I don't feel it
Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Turbotuners
Oil change??? I know on my 545i at about 8k into an oil change I hear a slight tapping at light load at about the same rpm. But unlike u I don't feel it
It's odd because this morning I jumped in the car and drove to work and it wasn't that loud. Its cold out though, maybe high 20s to low 30s here. The oil looks a little dark but the previous owner claimed he had just changed it not long ago. Maybe I should change it anyways.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Since you have the manual tranny, could it be from the clutch, not the engine? Mine had a noticeable clutch chatter in neutral/idling and also launching from a stop most of the time. I didn't try to fix, just lived with it. I never kept my hand on the shifter during launch, so never actually felt it.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Since you have the manual tranny, could it be from the clutch, not the engine? Mine had a noticeable clutch chatter in neutral/idling and also launching from a stop most of the time. I didn't try to fix, just lived with it. I never kept my hand on the shifter during launch, so never actually felt it.
I don't think so but it is possible it could be clutch/tranny related. I may have more than one issue too. It's annoying though because the engine should be smoother I'd think. It doesn't lack power but its not any smoother than the v8 in most mustangs I've owned or driven. That's what makes me wonder if it is mount related. I can feel it in the clutch pedal too when I go to shift. Clutch grabs fine.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
I don't think so but it is possible it could be clutch/tranny related. I may have more than one issue too. It's annoying though because the engine should be smoother I'd think. It doesn't lack power but its not any smoother than the v8 in most mustangs I've owned or driven. That's what makes me wonder if it is mount related. I can feel it in the clutch pedal too when I go to shift. Clutch grabs fine.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I know what you are talking about. Yes it's the noise present on this car and more noticeable if the car is not full warm up, meaning these BMW LL01 oil's have very high HTHS number of viscosity about 3.6 or more, depending oil manufacture, they (BMW) did such design for high speed (high share) and of course the time of warm up (oil temp) is longer than normal car. To avoid this, you have use something like M1 5-30, but remember it will warm faster, but you have to do oil changes every 5,000 - 6,000 miles, otherwise viscosity will drop dramatically (I read studies that normal oil 5w-30 drop about .05 to .1 and 0w-40 drop about .1 to .2 for same mileage, but because 0w-40 starts higher it still protect engine well enough.) , so the oil will not protect your engine as good as LL01. I think M1 is better oil then Castrol, but someone will say different.
Remember, the oil viscosity almost same at 100 C (normal driving , either hwy or traffic), but it’s going more different at 150 C, this is more a track, race, or very high speed (like German autobahn).The some oil become thinner at this temp, which it could be a bad thing, because viscosity is resistance of flow, so low viscosity will flow better, meaning better heat away, but if it’s too thin, it will not develop a thin layer on metal and so on. But US we are driving about 80 miles an hour max so the oil is at cool temp around 100 C, so there is no reason to use such high viscosity oil, but it’s just my opinion.

Last edited by phlfly; 12-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by phlfly
I know what you are talking about. Yes it's the noise present on this car and more noticeable if the car is not full warm up, meaning these BMW LL01 oil's have very high HTHS number of viscosity about 3.6 or more, depending oil manufacture, they (BMW) did such design for high speed (high share) and of course the time of warm up (oil temp) is longer than normal car. To avoid this, you have use something like M1 5-30, but remember it will warm faster, but you have to do oil changes every 5,000 - 6,000 miles, otherwise viscosity will drop dramatically (I read studies that normal oil 5w-30 drop about .05 to .1 and 0w-40 drop about .1 to .2 for same mileage, but because 0w-40 starts higher it still protect engine well enough.) , so the oil will not protect your engine as good as LL01. I think M1 is better oil then Castrol, but someone will say different.
Remember, the oil viscosity almost same at 100 C (normal driving , either hwy or traffic), but it’s going more different at 150 C, this is more a track, race, or very high speed (like German autobahn).The some oil become thinner at this temp, which it could be a bad thing, because viscosity is resistance of flow, so low viscosity will flow better, meaning better heat away, but if it’s too thin, it will not develop a thin layer on metal and so on. But US we are driving about 80 miles an hour max so the oil is at cool temp around 100 C, so there is no reason to use such high viscosity oil, but it’s just my opinion.
It has 0W40 Mobil in it now, it seems to be noiser once warm oddly. I'll check in a few mins
Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

It has 0W40 Mobil in it now, it seems to be noiser once warm oddly. I'll check in a few mins
Do you have this noise under heavy load, meaning on acceleration when car is on ramp, but car is not warm, even outside temp could be 70+F.
I noticed this as I said above; it's actually feels like look like a wrong gear, so no torque is available. Do you have same feeling?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

I may be off track here but you description sounds like my 05 545. Long story short, take sound cover off the top of the engine to expose the intake and the fuel rail. Using a long screw driver or other device touch the fuel line at any point like a stethoscope. If that is the sound it is the pulse of the fuel system. If true you can hear it at idol but most notably between 1K to 2k RPM and beyond with aggressive exceleration. If so No Worries!

Quick Reply: Engine tapping/rattle under light load in 545i