E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine running, No Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year to everyone.

I had a strange experience with my car today. As I switched the engine Off and got out of the car, the key did not pull out easily (I have the fob key - newer style). Anyway, when I tried to reinsert the key back in - it would not go in, however the car would switch on & off as normal but without the key going in the ignition.

The engine would be running with an Error message on the display saying (Engine running without the remote, please do not switch engine off as the engine may not be able to restart again, have the car checked by BMW service) or something to this effect. With an error symbol of a Key & steering wheel.

I drove to the nearest dealer & left them the car; the service advisor told me this could either be software or hardware problem. They'll call me when they find out - which may not even be today at all .

Did anyone here have this issue before, who can advise me on what was the problem?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='757703' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:53 AM
Happy New Year to everyone.

I had a strange experience with my car today. As I switched the engine Off and got out of the car, the key did not pull out easily (I have the fob key - newer style). Anyway, when I tried to reinsert the key back in - it would not go in, however the car would switch on & off as normal but without the key going in the ignition.

The engine would be running with an Error message on the display saying (Engine running without the remote, please do not switch engine off as the engine may not be able to restart again, have the car checked by BMW service) or something to this effect. With an error symbol of a Key & steering wheel.

I drove to the nearest dealer & left them the car; the service advisor told me this could either be software or hardware problem. They'll call me when they find out - which may not even be today at all .

Did anyone here have this issue before, who can advise me on what was the problem?

Thanks
Sound like a comfort access poltergeist! ...........sorry, couldn't resist ........hope you get sorted out soon.